Hi. I'm Rob. I used to believe that "film tie-in" games = quality games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi. I'm Rob. I used to believe that "film tie-in" games = quality games

Back in my youth I was a fucking moron. Every year on my birthday I was given the opportunity to get a new NES game. Any game of my choice. And 3 out of 4 times, it was a game based on a movie or show. And 3 out of 4 times they all fucking sucked.

Case in point: I bought and thought Total Recall was an awesome game. It was/is not in fact an awesome game. It's a big pile of shit. I also owned and thought "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure" was a great game. Nope. Wrong again.

A Nightmare on Elm Street. Friday the 13th. Jaws. The Karate Kid.

Shit, shit, sorta shit, complete shit.

Now there were on occasion some good tie-in games: Robocop, Batman (even though you fought androids at Axis Chemical, and I'm pretty sure that never happened in the movie), Tiny Toon Adventures (was fucking awesome, especially the Star Wars bonus level) among others.

This even went on into my SNES days.

I fucking owned Family Dog. FAMILY DOG. One of the worst games ever. It had shitty music, shitty graphics and sloppy controls. But I loved it because "It's like the cartoon! YAY!"

Anyone else suffer from this back in the day?

My name is Rob and I used to believe that "film tie-in" games = quality
    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Re: Hi. I'm Rob. I used to believe that "film tie-in" games = quality games

I was given The Last Starfighter for Hanukah by my cousin. All it took was the first level and I was done. Other than that, I may have played many shitty movie tie-in's, but didn't really own that many.

Ooops, I almost forgot I owned Fester's Quest and The Goonies 2. Actually, I kinda wish I had forotten that.
    Blog Time! http://plasticlovin.blogspot.com/

Reporter: "Is Ringo Starr the best drummer in the world?"
    John Lennon: "Ringo isn't even the best drummer in The Beatles."

Forget it Viet, it's Hockentown. - Russ

Lord Hocken's gaze was that of the Green Horned Mindraper.

Comment

I FUCKING HATE FESTER's QUEST! Cj actually liked that game. Dumb bastard.

And the Goonies 2 was awesomely bad. One of the few NES games I could beat no problem. Saving Annie the Mermaid at the end was awesome.
      "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

Here's two more games I owned and thought were awesome, but were not:

Dick Tracy

Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

Although Gremlins 2 was fucking sweet. At least I think it was. Maybe it sucked. I DON't KNOW ANYMORE!!!!!!

Comment

Shit, I still own Roger Rabbit. I'd use a cheat to get all the items and head over to Judge Doom's hideout, and never once in my entire life was I able to beat him.

I'd always get stuck in the same spot in Goonies 2 and could never find where to go next. Fester's Quest was pure shit. I also own Mickey Mousecapades, which was terrible, and Popeye, which was a weak Donkey Kong clone.

Wow, maybe I do have this disease?

Comment

You totally did.

I owned Bebe's Kids for the SNES for fuck's sake.

BEBE'S KIDS!!!!!

Comment

I also owned the Home Alone games for multiple systems. I bought and beat Jurassic Park. I only rented Home Improvement.

Jesus Christ.

*hangs head in shame*

Comment

Bebe's Kids?!?!? BWAHAHAHAHA!!!! Why??? How??? Oh God, that's funny!

Comment

I never owned any of these games...my mom never wanted to buy me any new games....wipes tear
                  Instagram: thepatronsaintofcheeseburgers

Comment

Hell, I bought (and still own) Enter the Matrix so I'm certainly not in any place to throw stones but I seem to remember Gremlins 2 and Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure being fun, albeit pretty difficult.

I think it's more bizarre that games that existed solely to advertise junk food to us (i.e. McK.I.D.S. and Cool Spot) were actually good and fun to play.

Comment

Yo Noid was the epitome of that.

I totally bought Enter the Matrix and enjoyed it for the bits they got right. Which wasn't much. But goddamn was cartwheeling off walls and shooting cops awesome in that game....

Comment

Not really a movie game but Beavis and Butthead for Genesis was the truth...had to make it to the GWAR concert. Classic
                        Instagram: thepatronsaintofcheeseburgers

Comment

Thank god in the last few months movie/games have gotten better. Wolverine kicked all kinds of ass, Ghostbusters (while not great) was fun enough for me to beat, and Uncharted 2....oh wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
                            You totally did.

I owned Bebe's Kids for the SNES for fuck's sake.

BEBE'S KIDS!!!!!
                            Good lord, man! You couldn't even find that crap in the video stores.
                            "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

X-Wing/TIE Fighter were very good.
                              Touch it. Touch my fuzziness! It's like petting a kitten!
                              Now drop the pants and take the bacon!
                              POUTINE AND CELINE DION FOR EVERYONE!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X