Revisiting Old Favorites: The Danger of Ruining Your Memories Forever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revisiting Old Favorites: The Danger of Ruining Your Memories Forever

I recently re-watched an old childhood favorite: 'Clash of the Titans'. No lie, it had probably been 15-20 years since I saw it last...I remembered it very fondly as a rather solid, exciting adventure film with some great set pieces and fun monsters.

I was disappointed to watch it again about a week ago and have many of my fond memories shattered. I found it to be quite boring and flat in places, and the acting is (across the board) rather wretched. Some of the scenes (the taming of Pegasus, in particular) are exceptionally well done and still hold up, but most of it falls apart or comes dangerously close to camp.

I really should have left this film in the memory banks.
    Originally posted by Martin
    Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
    Originally posted by gravedigger
    Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
    And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
    Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Did the same with SeaQuest...

Don't feel bad.

Comment

Although I do dig the craftsmanship of the SFX in Clash. If anything, it goes to show that a true artist can bring inanimate objects to life and give them little idiosyncrasies that CGI just can't do.
      "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

Yeah, I've done my best to leave all my old baggage in that ancient wheelhouse of memories. I had shitty taste as a kid/teen.
        "Here, young man, your hormones are raging. Let's go in this bedroom, and we'll engage in some homosexual acts. You'll find you like it." - Rep. Ken Peterson, R-Billings

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one." - Don Draper

~
        *RATED BEST POSTER OF 2011 - CHIPOTLE FAN FORUMS*~

Comment

Had the same experience with Clash about a month ago. A movie that absolutely died for me was E.T. I watched it when it came out on VHS (remember how huge that release was?) and didn't touch it again until maybe five years ago. HATE IT.

Comment

Originally posted by Vault Vanderhuge View Post
            Yeah, I've done my best to leave all my old baggage in that ancient wheelhouse of memories. I had shitty taste as a kid/teen.
            What kid didn't have shitty taste?
            "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

Ooh, I don't agree with that. E.T. still hold up to me. But fuck the redone shit that Spielberg did. Fucking stupid.
              "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Meatdrapes View Post
                Although I do dig the craftsmanship of the SFX in Clash. If anything, it goes to show that a true artist can bring inanimate objects to life and give them little idiosyncrasies that CGI just can't do.
                Oh, I certainly agree on the artistry that Harryhausen brought to the monsters. Indeed, they were the best 'actors' in the film.

Also, I should have mentioned that the Medusa sequence was still pretty awesome. The rest of the sequences needed some serious tightening up, though...the pacing is just way, way off.
                Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.

Comment

Nothing wrong with tearing up at the end of E.T. I know I did.

But yes, fuck that 1984-esque revisionism right in the face.
                  "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

Concurred.

Comment

10 years later, Wonder Boys is still the greatest film about writing.
                      My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

Originally posted by DON RICKLES UP IN THIS BITCH View Post
                        10 years later, Wonder Boys is still the greatest film about writing.
                        Always meant to see that film. Thanks for the reminder.

Comment

Another one: 'Amazon Women on the Moon'. I remember laughing my ass off at this film when it first came out (it was on HBO or similar all the time). A recent re-watch has shown that it really has NOT held up. Sure, parts of it are still pretty funny, but most of it is really quite childish and forced.

Comment

I'm really trying to rack my brain here on something I loved as a kid that I don't get any more enjoyment out of now. I mean, sure there are a million cartoons that don't hold up, but most flicks I'm able to still get enjoyment out of.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Meatdrapes View Post
                              I'm really trying to rack my brain here on something I loved as a kid that I don't get any more enjoyment out of now.
                              Same here. I didn't really go for "kid movies" when I was a kid, other than "The Wizard of Oz", which always holds up, no matter how long. Other than that, my favorite movies as a kid were ones that I had to beg my mother to let me see. I was huge on the Irwin Allen disaster films ("Poseidon Adventure", "Towering Inferno", etc.), and of course "JAWS". If I wasn't allowed to go, I'd sneak in. I think other than "Oz", the only kid movie made for kids that I was into was the '77 "Star Wars", which, of course, is still great.
                              2012 Avatar Theme - LADIES FROM THE GOLDEN AGE OF HOLLYWOOD. January: Ava Gardner.

INSTANT HAPPINESS - just click!

Comment

Working...
                              X