Wonder Woman gets a new makeover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wonder Woman gets a new makeover

I realize I'm REALLY late on this (it looks like the blog posting was from June), but I just saw this now, and was wondering what everyone thought.

http://tomandlorenzo2.blogspot.com/2...-makeover.html

I don't totally hate it or anything - I kind of like it, but I argree with T-Lo - it does make her look less distinctive.
    2012 Avatar Theme - LADIES FROM THE GOLDEN AGE OF HOLLYWOOD. January: Ava Gardner.

INSTANT HAPPINESS - just click!

I dig it...

Comment

I do not like it. I like her best in the middle photo. The whole leggings thing- I give it a no.

Comment

Originally posted by I_Cassini View Post
        I do not like it. I like her best in the middle photo. The whole leggings thing- I give it a no.
        I'm liking it a bit more. Maybe if they'd designed it a little more, because she's been so=uch an over the top patriotic sex-bomb for decades.

I really like that, if you notice in the action shots, she's got straps under the jacket, which the strapless bustier is something that's always bugged me about her. I've just never thought you could be a serious crime fighter if "Thelma and Louise" are about to pop out any second.

The tights are just so different for her, but I don't think it's anything that Batgirl and Catwoman haven't been running around in for years. I like the translation of the drawings in the action shots rather than the stationary sketch. Being able to visually picture her kicking ass in the outfit makes me like it more.

And the WWII era picture of how she originally looked isn't even accurate - in her very very first pictures, she had a little scooter-skirt with the blue and white star print, not the shorts. They let her have the shorts a couple of years later. When I was 10, my mom got me a re-print copy of the very first WW issue, and she was in a little shorts skirt.
        Last edited by Lisa; 10-25-2010, 01:16 PM.
        2012 Avatar Theme - LADIES FROM THE GOLDEN AGE OF HOLLYWOOD. January: Ava Gardner.

Comment

Not a fan. Oh sure, her outfit could use an upgrade, but this one's not doing it for me. She looks like she's fallen into that "grim n' gritty" vibe that only a character like Batman and Wolverine should pull off. Wonder Woman's one of the brighter characters, as her message is more about peace and love and stuff. To be honest, she looks like she's going to go clubbing or grab a mocha frappacino.

For the DC Universe Online game, I think it was Jim Lee that took Wonder Woman's basic look and turned it into a more armor like appearance, with her skirt being sectioned armor, giving it a Greek/Roman Centurion look:

Personally, I think the skirt should be a touch longer, and have some more design work to her bracers - maybe make them longer, maybe give her bodice a more armored appearance (think Xena).

Besides, this outfit WW is sporting is only temporary - she's in some sort of alternate universe BS and should be back in her classic togs soon enough.
          Last edited by Timothy225; 10-25-2010, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy225 View Post
            To be honest, she looks like she's going to go clubbing or grab a mocha frappacino.
            You know, you're right about that - one of the criticisms on the Project Rungay blog was that she looked like she was on her way to yoga class!

I do like the other armor-look, Tim - that's classic, but cool.

Comment

The armor is hot...

It looks sharp as hell, too. That adds an additional touch of danger when attempting coitus with an Amazonian.

Right nut, kids... I'd hand it over for a shot at that.

Comment

It's more fitting for her character, too - WW's an Amazon, and history shows they were allegedly warriors first. The Greek/Roman dresses were appropriate when the ladies were chillin' on Paradise Island /Themyscira or when WW was meeting heads of state or visiting the UN in the comics (probably when she whipped out her cape, too). Ah, but when she was about to whoop some bad guy's ass, girlfriend made sure she was dressed for success.

Besides, Gloria Steinham was the first to call BULLSHIT when DC changed her look in the late 60's early 70's...

I know these things for I married a Wonder Woman fan, and have a nice collection of comics and books as a result.

Comment

I love the armored look. I think you are right about the skirt Tim- it needs to be a tad longer in the back.

Comment

For practicality's sake, yes. Were I redesigning it, I'd lose the blue, maybe make the skirt armor gold. Might lose the stars as well, maybe just make them studs, and those would be red, just to keep the color aesthetic simple. The boots might be fine as is - definitely would ignore the tied on boot she sported way back in the day.

So, when's my shot at Project Runway?

Comment

I'd like a mix of the two - the design that Tim posted, plus the longer warrior style skirt he suggested, PLUS the straps on the new design that they've show in the first post. One other thing that I love from this revamp are the new design of the bracelets. I like that they go longer up her arm, and have more detail to them.

Comment

The straps would make sense, as would the longer bracers. The bracers I'd keep silver, though, to go with the boots. I do like the fingerless gloves, though, that merge into the bracers.

You'd get the best of all worlds with that look - functional, practical (well, for a comic book, anyway) armor, with enough skin showing to be modest, yet have the male comic fans breathe funny. And, you'd still have the classic Wonder Woman look.

Still, what with DC/Warner Brother's merchandising stuff, there's really only so much you can do with Wonder Woman's outfit before she becomes unrecognizable to an audience outside the comics sphere. Her classic look will never go away, just like Spider-Man's didn't when he was sporting the all black and white outfit back in the mid 80's. That was a brilliant design that played to his strengths, and made a hell of a big splash when it was first unveiled.

I know this for I am a HUGE Spidey fan.

Comment

Remember the Superman redesign?

*chuckles*

Comment

If you're talking about this:

Yeah, that was AWFUL. Again, that dog wasn't going to hunt - too much of a shift from the classic design, and it was all for a shitty story to boot.

Subtle changes to a classic look are more preferable and far easier to accept for the fans. Plus, the merchandising arm wasn't going to let that one last for long. Couple of action figures and that was it, back to the classic look. A Superman without a cape? NEVER.

Comment

I'd rather she just give all this costume bullshit a rest and just beat fools down in some sweatpants for a while.

Though I will agree with Tim's assessment of the hoplite garb.

At least it doesn't come with a fucking jacket (she's basically just borrowing Rogue's crap from the 90's anyway).
                              Me quick one want slow

Comment

Working...
                              X