Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Documentaries: The epic thread of interesting ones!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We Are Wizards. It's on instant. Check it.
    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

It is? Don't see it.
      Touch it. Touch my fuzziness! It's like petting a kitten!
      Now drop the pants and take the bacon!
      POUTINE AND CELINE DION FOR EVERYONE!!!!

Comment

Fixed. It's We Are Wizards
        "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

This was discussed on the latest 'cast, right?
          Touch it. Touch my fuzziness! It's like petting a kitten!
          Now drop the pants and take the bacon!
          POUTINE AND CELINE DION FOR EVERYONE!!!!

Comment

yep.

Comment

Beer Wars - on instant and is a fascinating look at the system that keeps the microbreweries down.

Comment

Harlan County, USA - coal miners unions striking in the mid 70's. It's fascinating on two levels. On one you get this look at unions and the like, on the other you get a look at inbred white trashness. Good docu.
                "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

I'm copying and pasting my own post from CHUD from about a month or two back...

I just watched the documentary Six Degrees of Helter Skelter, made and hosted by Scott Michaels, the guy who runs the "Find A Death" website and the "Dearly Departed Tours" in Hollywood. So unbelievably creepy and unsettling, more than any other documentary on the subject of the Mansons. This one had all sorts of forensic detail, which is fine by me, it's one of the reasons I love "Forensic Files" and other TruTV shows. But, it also had actual police crime scene photos of the victims, which I'd never seen. And now I'm not really looking forward to going to sleep tonight - it was that graphic. Also not as graphic, but just as creepy, they went up into the ranch in Death Valley where the family was finally arrested, and which was untouched in nearly 40 years - so they actually found a couple of things that they believe belonged to Manson himself. And they also found what was left of Tex Watkins' truck out behind the ranch - that was confirmed. Just... gaaaah! *Shiver*
                  2012 Avatar Theme - LADIES FROM THE GOLDEN AGE OF HOLLYWOOD. January: Ava Gardner.

INSTANT HAPPINESS - just click!

Comment

Originally posted by B_MetalSucks View Post
                    Harlan County, USA - coal miners unions striking in the mid 70's. It's fascinating on two levels. On one you get this look at unions and the like, on the other you get a look at inbred white trashness. Good docu.

They're not white trash. White trash implies that they've had better surroundings around them and they chose to be that way. Harlan County is 3rd World in the 1st world. They're criminally poor.
                    My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

Originally posted by Die Zuckerbusen View Post
                      They're not white trash. White trash implies that they've had better surroundings around them and they chose to be that way. Harlan County is 3rd World in the 1st world. They're criminally poor.
                      OK, bad choice of words. The environment is still something most here probably have never observed.
                      "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

OK, bad choice of words. The environment is still something most here probably have never observed.

I've observed it. It's one of the most continually fucked over regions in this country. It's easy to make jokes about them, but if they got an inch of the federal aid that goes to other areas...they'd be able to dig out of a lot of the shit.

The last time they got any major handouts was during FDR's tenure. That last handout was a federal program to give them clean running water and electricity. Just imagine that. Electricity and Running Water has only been a staple in that region for 68 years.
                        My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Comment

Finally saw 'Man on Wire' the other day. Man, what a fantastic movie. I can't believe the balls on that guy.
                          Originally posted by Martin
                          Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
                          Originally posted by gravedigger
                          Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
                          Originally posted by Martin
                          And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
                          Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

Originally posted by Die Zuckerbusen View Post
                            I've observed it. It's one of the most continually fucked over regions in this country. It's easy to make jokes about them, but if they got an inch of the federal aid that goes to other areas...they'd be able to dig out of a lot of the shit.

The last time they got any major handouts was during FDR's tenure. That last handout was a federal program to give them clean running water and electricity. Just imagine that. Electricity and Running Water has only been a staple in that region for 68 years.
                            Agreed. My joke was not meant to offend but if it did then forgive me. My point, however badly mad, was that it's an interesting documentary about a fucked up time in a fucked up industry and area.

Originally posted by Matt View Post
                            Finally saw 'Man on Wire' the other day. Man, what a fantastic movie. I can't believe the balls on that guy.
                            Yeah, loved that one. Guy really had brass ones.

Comment

Agreed. My joke was not meant to offend but if it did then forgive me. My point, however badly mad, was that it's an interesting documentary about a fucked up time in a fucked up industry and area.

Yeah, loved that one. Guy really had brass ones.

Harlan County USA is one of the greatest American documentaries ever made. My point is that for the region, shit has changed very little. They're still fucked, they still have no strong representation and the area is Third World level poor. It's like another world and I feel that Barbara Kopple really nailed with the documentary.

Comment

The thing that gets me about it is that even the Union's own didn't really seem to want to fight that hard for the locals. I had always envisioned Unions slightly different than what was shown at the end of the docu. And the fact that the area remains almost the same is crazy/sad.

Comment

Working...
                                X