DC Continues to Think Smallville Fans are Idiots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC Continues to Think Smallville Fans are Idiots

Smallville Fans Rejoice! New Comic Book Series, SMALLVILLE SEASON 11, to Pick Up Where Show Left Off

Fans of the smash-hit TV series Smallville haven’t had much to cheer about since the show ended its critically acclaimed 10-year run on The CW last May. That’s all going to change with the upcoming new comic book series from DC Entertainment: SMALLVILLE SEASON 11. Written by former Smallville show scribe Bryan Q. Miller, the new digital first series will be published digitally on April 13, 2012, with new digital chapters released weekly thereafter. Additionally, the online chapters will be offered in a print periodical, along with an episode guide to the hit television series, with the first print issue released on May 16.

The new comic book series picks-up where the show left off (with Clark officially now as Superman!) and features other fan-favorite characters including Oliver Queen/Green Arrow, Chloe Sullivan-Queen, Lois Lane, Lex Luthor, and General Lane. The book features an all-star creative team – in addition to Miller, SMALLVILLE SEASON 11 creators include print cover artist Gary Frank (SUPERMAN SECRET ORIGIN), digital cover artist Cat Staggs and interiors by Pere Perez (BATGIRL).

"Six months after Clark Kent donned the cape and took to the skies to save Earth from Apokolips… enter Season 11!" enthuses Miller. "New allies abound! New enemies afoot! And old friends return where they’re least expected! Pere and colorist Chris Beckett have done a fantastic job of capturing the look of the show and the players, and Gary and Cat are knocking it out of the park on covers. I couldn’t be more excited to help give seasoned viewers and new readers an all-access pass to Clark’s first year in the cape."

http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2012/02...lle-season-11/
    Originally posted by Ari
    The only thing I want to tell her vagina is nomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom

No thanks. And I watched a lot more Smallville than I should have.
    "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

I just don't get it. Why does this have to be Smallville the comic and not just a standard Superman comic?
      "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

They probably did some pr type study that showed there was a market for it. Supermeh
        "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

so it's just an excuse to have Welling's face used then. And people wonder why comics are dying.
          "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

Probably one of the main reasons behind it.

Comment

Yeah...couple of Smallville fans are pissed at me for criticizing how that show fucked them over for ten years and now trying to sucker more money outta them. Guess they don't know they're being butt-raped.
              Originally posted by Ari

Comment

Originally posted by Theodore Stabbington View Post
                so it's just an excuse to have Welling's face used then. And people wonder why comics are dying.

Comics aren't dying. The way of doing business is being forced to change for a group of people who never got treated as serious media until 25 years after the rest of their field.

The deal with Smallville is the same as Watchmen. It's a property they own lock, stock and barrel and they're going to squeeze it for everything that's left.

It's all part of their digital push first and foremost, which has been blowing up big time since they anchored a lot of their titles with Amazon's Kindle Fire. Sure, they burned bridges at Barnes and Noble, but the end result has seen their sales either keep up or surpass Marvel's digital initiative.

What's more impressive is that Marvel had a nearly two year headstart on them in that regard.

Will it be good? Fuck no. Did it need to be another Superman book? Fuck no. But, as Jaime learned today...there's a cross-section of fans with disposable income that hits the target demo. That's all it takes for any form of entertainment and it's all DC needs.

Plus, the crossover sales by staying digital first and foremost ensures that DC will hit their goals with mainstream readers before even having to worry about the comic set. The episode guide that will be published with the later print edition is only to justify having a print run.
                My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

Another Smallville zombie is telling me on Twitter about how much Tom Welling really, really loves Superman and totally wanted to wear the suit but big bad WB wouldn't let him...

...is it more funny or sad that there are fans still trying to convince themselves that's true?
                  Originally posted by Ari

Comment

Both. Everyone knew welling had no interest in the suit.

Comment

Which goes back to my point of the guy being a prick.

Cock-tease fans publicly for years about "not ruling it out" but refuse to wear it privately for what would have been 2 minutes at the most. Not like he's done anything since the show wrapped and rarely did any movies between seasons. Prick.
                      Originally posted by Ari

Comment

Working...
                      X