No announcement yet.

Behold! The Power of Cheese!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whole Foods has a pretty kick-ass cheese department. I got 6-7 varieties from them last year for a wine/cheese party and was really impressed with their selection.
    Originally posted by Martin
    Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
    Originally posted by gravedigger
    Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
    Originally posted by Martin
    And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
    Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

Originally posted by Vault Vanderhuge View Post
      Gruyere = great. I fully admit to only having gotten into cheese within the past few years (coming from East Texas where cheddar's damn near a delicacy), but cheese-related shit I've grown to love:

-Aged parmigiano reggiano
      -Bufala mozzarella
      -Fried halloumi
      -FETA.
      -The aforementioned Gruyere.
      -Fontina
      -Havarti
      -Gouda

And there's probably others, but those are the ones that are right off the top of my bean.

BONER-INDUCING THREAD.
      The above highlighted are some of my favorites. Working on a kick-ass salad with Feta to go with my steaks tonight.
      "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

Queso Fresco aka Ranchero Cheese is my favorite Mexican Cheese
        Cotija is number two, smells horrible but goes great in guacamole, beans and all kinds of other Mexican dishes
        Mozzarella, fresh is the best for some paninis and shit
        Ricotta, I can eat this straight from the tub too fucking great
        Instagram: thepatronsaintofcheeseburgers

Comment

Because of my location, and the very limited Mexicans presence around here, I never had one of those famed Mexican cheeses.
          BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
            Because of my location, and the very limited Mexicans presence around here, I never had one of those famed Mexican cheeses.
            You haven't lived dude...if you are ever in LA I will take you to get cheese and some legit authentic Mexican food.
            Instagram: thepatronsaintofcheeseburgers

Comment

Yeah, I love me some cotija. Also, skim ricotta mixed with scrambled eggs = heaven.
              "Here, young man, your hormones are raging. Let's go in this bedroom, and we'll engage in some homosexual acts. You'll find you like it." - Rep. Ken Peterson, R-Billings

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one." - Don Draper

~
              *RATED BEST POSTER OF 2011 - CHIPOTLE FAN FORUMS*~

Comment

Wensleydale. Smooth, mellow & tangy, kind of like cream cheese, but firm in texture, like cheddar. For some reason the kind with currants or apricots mixed into it is easier to find than plain. Which is a damned shame, since the plain is just incredibly delicious (Olympus practically ran on the stuff, remember), and I'm not a big fan of cheese w/ stuff in it (with one notable exception, but that's a post for another day). If you're craving the flavor of Wensleydale, but can't find it, an acceptable alternative is manouri, a flaky, pale white, log shaped cheese from Greece. It approximates the flavor (albeit a little less intensely) very well indeed. And for some reason it's easier to find.
                I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Comment

The New Zealand cheddar I picked up from Whole Foods today for $2.99/lb is skeetworthy. It should be on sale all week so jump on it if you're near a WF. It's nice and sharp without being too overwhelming.
                  "Here, young man, your hormones are raging. Let's go in this bedroom, and we'll engage in some homosexual acts. You'll find you like it." - Rep. Ken Peterson, R-Billings

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one." - Don Draper

~
                  *RATED BEST POSTER OF 2011 - CHIPOTLE FAN FORUMS*~

Comment

As far as my favorite cheddars go, I like cabot a lot, and they're widely available (at least in the Northeast) in the regular dairy case. I especially dig the Seriously Sharp; it's apparently a "mistake"; when a batch of sharp cheddar somehow gets screwed up & ends up being TOO sharp, they sell it as this. Sometimes tastes. . . off, as not every batch is the same. But when it's on, it's a beautiful thing. Grafton Village is also awesome. They make a 5 yr old which tastes great, but has a gritty, slightly crunchy consistency (as all cheddars aged over 2 yrs tend to), which I find somewhat unpleasant. But grated & melted over a steaming hot bowl of my homemade chili. . . dat's some good magic right there. Tillamook is also supposed to be fantastic, but for some reason I have never gotten around to trying this, even though King's sells it.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Comment

A lot of folks have mentioned Parmigiano Reggiano as a favorite. And rightly so; it's one of the best cheeses in the world. Salty, sharp, not too gritty a consistency. . . it's awesome. But, if you like this, consider trying some similar cheeses. Foremost among these, to my mind, is Vella Dairy's Dry Jack. It's essentially monterey Jack that they allow to age longer. It has a waxy, dry consistency (not quite as crumbly as Parm), but has about as much depth of flavor. Less salty, but just as savory. It tastes nothing like its younger self. Expensive as hell and hard to get (I usually have to order it thru the mail), but this MAY be even better shredded on top of a bowl of chili than even the best cheddars. A rare but delightful treat.

Comment

This thread is made of deliciousness. I love cheese, it's truly one of the things that I could just eat until I die. If it weren't so bad for me in big doses, I'd live on it.
                        2012 Avatar Theme - LADIES FROM THE GOLDEN AGE OF HOLLYWOOD. January: Ava Gardner.

INSTANT HAPPINESS - just click!

Comment

In honor of Lisa, "one of my people", as she once commented:

Sharp provolone is incredible. I've never actually tried an imported variety. KNow why? Because the Auricchio/Belgioso brand made in WI is exactly the same as that made in Italy. Sharp, chewy (if somewhat waxy), and it goes with everything. My favorite sandwich cheese by far, w/ ham, salami, even turkey. Throw in some briney olives & salami or pepperoni & a lil' crusty artisan bread, and you got a meal.

Comment

Taking a moment to sing the praises of the cheeses of Spain. Mahon, Manchego, Tetilla & San Simon are the ones I've tried. All are excellent.

Manchego is probably my favorite. It's salty and can be sharp, if aged long enough. Excellent with olives or spicy tapas (like pinchos; Spanish shish kebabs), or serrano ham.

San Simon is smoked tetilla. Tetilla tastes like a slightly more mellow monterey jack. The smoking adds a new dimension & depth of flavor. Good as tetilla is on its own, San Simon is much more interesting, IMO.

Comment

Always a lover of Camenbert and the softer cheeses, but I'll throw anything down my neck in a pinch. I'm currently on a Stilton kick right now.

Comment

My favorite softer cheese is Epoisses. It's kind of a meatier version of brie. I've never tried camambert. I'm leery of the American stuff, because my guru Steve Jenkins says in the Cheese primer that it's generally mediocre, and they can't import the real French stuff because it's not pasteurized or aged over 60 days. Oka, from Canada is quite good, as well. Very strong flavored, though, so I could see how some wouldn't care for it. As is Pont Lavecque and Taleggio from Italy (although the last block of the latter I brought back to the office was so atrongly aroma'd I have been forbidden by my coworkers from doing so again). I even like limburger on rye. All the stories you've heard about how bad it smells are true, but it's damned fine tasting. I can't eat it when the wife's around, though.

Comment

Working...
                                X