Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Emmanuelle Movie Did You Just Watch?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best line from that movie was from RDJr.

"Put a bottle of Dom on ice, and get some Ecstasy, I'm gonna come over tonight, and put a hot pepper up your arse..."

Comment

• Originally posted by BillyG View Post
      Love NBK.
      Why?

I appreciate Ollie's insanity when it comes to the use of different stocks to achieve a look or offer up a different sort of experience.

I won't go and say it was completely awful or without any merit (because under the mirror and razor blade in the editing suite, there are some brilliant flourishes), but I will go so far as to say the stylization distracted more than aided in conveying the author's message.

Don't look off my paper though. Tell me in your own words. And show your work.
      Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt View Post
        We rewatched GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO (Mara/Craig version) on Saturday. I still think it's Fincher's warmest film, emotionally.
        Especially in regards to the butt-sniffing. I could feel Fincher speaking directly to me in the action of that one all-too-brief moment. It was the equivalent experience of observing that plastic bag in a windstorm from that movie where teh gay destroys White Amerika. In a way, we are all just a scumbag Scando parole officer looking to make sweet, beardy face-to-crack with an undernourished, autistic goth girl with questionable taste in body art.
        Last edited by Captain Russ; 11-27-2012, 01:19 PM. Reason: Not to be taken seriously. At all.
        Me quick one want slow

Comment

• But seriously, I too enjoyed it much more on my most recent viewing.
          Last edited by Captain Russ; 11-27-2012, 01:19 PM. Reason: But do take this one seriously. Sort of.
          Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Anal sniffing aside, it does a good job of actually developing an emotional connection between the main characters (Craig, Mara, even Wright). Also, Plummer brings serious gravitas to his emotional loss over Harriet. As such, this is one of the few Fincher films that actually involves me on more than a technical/superficial level.
            Originally posted by Martin
            Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
            Originally posted by gravedigger
            Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
            And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
            Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain Russ View Post
              Why?
              I just love how fucking insane, ugly and devil may care the whole movie is. I don't think it's some artistic masterpiece or should be studied in film school, but the whole aesthetic it has going does it for me. It's a bit like Domino for me, the movie isn't really that good, but the vibe and general batshit insanity goes a long way for me.

Comment

• I think it should be studied in film school. Mistakes are the best guide to understanding.

Then they can go back further, watch JFK, and kick themselves in the sack for being in film school.

@Matt: I felt largely the same. The only other time I had much emotional investment in a Fincher movie's characters was found in the diner conversation between Sommerset and Tracy in Seven.
                Last edited by Captain Russ; 11-27-2012, 01:52 PM.
                Me quick one want slow

Comment

• I love everything that features Ruffalo in Zodiac too. His scenes with Koteas, his scenes with Anthony Edwards, his scenes with Gyllenhaal, they all work brilliantly and show the character without having to tell you.

I also love NBK. I think its supposed to be difficult to watch, it's supposed to grate. That's what Stone's talking about with that film and it's a large part of why QT hates the film. It's pretty much the last time his multi-stock shit seemed to serve a purpose and I think it genuinely adds to the film. There is beauty in there too, but the ugliness is much more important. The cast is phenomenal almost without exception, too.
                  I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• Finished off our Bond movie marathon with QUANTUM OF SOLACE last night. I didn't have it on DVD or blu ray, so I waited until that big honking BOND 50 blu ray set arrived from Amazon.

Anyways, I liked it. It plays much, much better on repeated viewings. The hyper-editing still sucks, but the story itself isn't bad and the acting is quite good from pretty much everyone.
                    Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.

Comment

• Re: Bro-diac

I liked Animal Crackers' part in the film as well. The weakest link for me was the ageless, marble-mouthed Gyllenhall.

Re: Solace of My Watching A Mess of a Film

The story is dumb. Some of the action sequences are fantastic though.
                      Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Harry Potter 7.5

Final-fucking-ly. T'was alright, but holy shit did it take a long time to finish. I kinda stop caring after the 5th one, but I had to watch it all. A severe lack of Snapes, and the final battle was kinda dumb, but it had some great moments.
                        BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• Colombiana

What a fucking waste of Cliff Curtis. Glad to see Lenny James in anything, but crap, it could have much better than the average action movie that it was.
                          BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

Some of the action sequences are fantastic though.
                            Really? You could tell what the fuck was going on? They're fucking edited to the point of virtual incoherence. The only action sequence that really stood out was the mano-a-mano fight in Haiti.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt View Post
                              Really? You could tell what the fuck was going on? They're fucking edited to the point of virtual incoherence. The only action sequence that really stood out was the mano-a-mano fight in Haiti.
                              I appreciated the scope and staging of the bell tower fight quite a bit.
                              Me quick one want slow

Comment

I appreciated the scope and staging of the bell tower fight quite a bit.
                                I'll agree that it COULD have been a great fight if it weren't edited for shit. It didn't help that both Bond and Mitchell were indistinguishable for most of that entire action sequence.

Individual shots here and there were definitely amazing in that fight sequence, though.

Comment

Working...
                                X