4) Heath Ledger "The Dark Knight"
    5) Alec Baldwin "The Departed"
    6) Abigail Breslin "Little Miss Sunshine"
    7) Daniel Day-Lewis "There Will Be Blood"
    8) Tommy Lee Jones "No Country for Old Men"
    9) Heath Ledger "Brokeback Mountain"
    10) Leonardo DiCaprio "The Aviator"

That is all.
    My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Haven't seen 5 of those, the other 5 I think are pretty good choices.

Comment

Fuck yeah to Tom Green. That whole movie is misunderstood.
      "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

Yay! Lists!

Love that Haley call. Truly a revelation.

But let me indulge in an alternative list in no particular order on top of my head:

Tom Hardy - Bronson
        Christoph Waltz - Inglourious Basterds
        Monica Bellucci - Irreversible
        George Clooney - The American
        Natalie Portman - Black Swan
        Brad Pitt - The Assassination of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford
        Robert Downey Jr. - Iron Man
        Michael Fassbender - Hunger
        Tahar Rahim - A Prophet
        Hye ja Kim - Mother

Comment

I'll be taking this thread in a different direction later.
          "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

Mine was a little more Oscar themed, since I was using the remnants of a list that didn't go up at GoldDerby.

But, the gist is there.
            My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Comment

As great as 2, 4, 5, and 6 are, I don't know if I'd have them on the overall best list. Haven't seen 3 or 10, so I can't comment on those.

Agree on the Haley and Fassbender shouts, by the way.

I'd definitely have Hal Holbrook in there for Into the Wild though. And Thomas Turgoose for This is England.
              "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

Motherfucking fucking board ate my fucking post. Fuck.
                2012 Avatar Theme - LADIES FROM THE GOLDEN AGE OF HOLLYWOOD. January: Ava Gardner.

INSTANT HAPPINESS - just click!

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby Bear View Post
                  As great as 2, 4, 5, and 6 are, I don't know if I'd have them on the overall best list. Haven't seen 3 or 10, so I can't comment on those.

Agree on the Haley and Fassbender shouts, by the way.

I'd definitely have Hal Holbrook in there for Into the Wild though. And Thomas Turgoose for This is England.

Holbrook was on the 2007 list, but it didn't really fit with what I was doing.

This is more of a me getting rid of shit that either didn't get published, finished or left out in limbo.

I've got a 37 gig folder full of this.

Comment

Daniel Day-Lewis - There Will Be Blood

Sebastian Koch - The Lives of Others

Colin Farrell - In Bruges

Ellen Burstyn - Requiem for a Dream

Casey Affleck - Assassination of Jesse James

Meryl Streep - take your pick, really. Shout out to Manchurian Candidate and Doubt as standouts, but there's plenty to choose from.

Alfred Molina - An Education

Charlize Theron - Monster

Benicio del Toro - Che

Ed Harris - Gone Baby Gone

No particular order after Day-Lewis, but these are the ones that really moved and impressed me.
                    I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

Saoirse Ronan - Atonement
                      Amy Ryan - Gone Baby Gone
                      Casey Affleck - TAOJJBTCRF
                      Philip Seymour Hoffmann - Charlie Wilsons War
                      Ryan Gosling - Half Nelson
                      Meryl Streep - Doubt
                      Tom Hanks - Cast Away
                      Daniel Day-Lewis - Gangs of New York
                      Jeff Bridges - True Grit
                      Matt Damon - The Informant

Comment

Originally posted by Anderson View Post
                        Holbrook was on the 2007 list, but it didn't really fit with what I was doing....

I've got a 37 gig folder full of this.
                        Ah, gotcha. Well, this has been a great conversation-starter so far so I'd definitely be up for more threads in this sort of vein, if you're willing to keep 'em coming.

Just for the sake of clarity, I absolutely love Baldwin's performance in The Departed. Thinking about that alone is enough to make me want stick the Blu-ray on. I was just hung up on making a case for such a comparatively small role.

Really like that Harris inclusion, Ben. He's just so quietly brilliant while still delivering in a big way every time he's on screen.

The more I think about this, the more I want to throw Kevin Bacon's hat into the ring for Mystic River. Again, a performance with that "effortless" feel despite the obvious craft at work. And speaking of Clint-related matters, possibly Hilary Swank for Million Dollar Baby, too.

I'd love to read your thoughts on this Lisa, if you don't mind trying to re-post.
                        "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

And Thomas Turgoose for This is England.
                          That was devastating.
                          Me quick one want slow

Comment

I'd love to read your thoughts on this Lisa, if you don't mind trying to re-post.
                            Yeah, I'll try later, buddy. Right now I'm still so pissed that the post disappeared that I don't feel like it. But I probably will later!
                            2012 Avatar Theme - LADIES FROM THE GOLDEN AGE OF HOLLYWOOD. January: Ava Gardner.

INSTANT HAPPINESS - just click!

Comment

Really like that Harris inclusion, Ben. He's just so quietly brilliant while still delivering in a big way every time he's on screen.

The more I think about this, the more I want to throw Kevin Bacon's hat into the ring for Mystic River
                              Harris has a lot of lifting to do in that film to make some of the ideas work and he hits every note perfectly.

Bacon is the best thing in Mystic River by a long shot, good shout.
                              And Thomas Turgoose for This is England.
                              Throw in Paddy Considine in Dead Man's Shoes while you're at it.
                              I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

Working...
                              X