Renny Harlin: Man, Myth, and Auteur

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bobby Bear
    E.T.A. B's on the money. Balls to all this 1,000,000 moving parts per second malarkey. Just give me a halfway house between that and a smart update of the original Generation One designs. This franchise needs some colour put back in its cheeks. And some distinction between the Transformers. Preferably, personalities too.
    Originally posted by McMeatbag View Post
    They also have X-Men Syndrome as far as the Decepti-creeps designs go; just uninspired and drab shades of gray everywhere doing nothing to help discern one from the other.

At least the Stormtroopers got cool shit to die in.
    THAT ALL OF IT!!
    "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

Harlin also gave the world the most stomach-churning (for me) Nightmare on Elm Street death. Oh yeah...the cockroach motel.
      Originally posted by Ari
      The only thing I want to tell her vagina is nomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom

Comment

Originally posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
        Harlin also gave the world the most awesome (for me) Nightmare on Elm Street death. Oh yeah...the cockroach motel.
        Agreed.
        "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

They also have X-Men Syndrome as far as the Decepti-creeps designs go; just uninspired and drab shades of gray everywhere doing nothing to help discern one from the other. Get some colors on those expensive pieces of cannon fodder. Flames optional.
          Hot on the heels of Ed announcing his non-sexual fondness for you, I think I'm gonna have to do the same after you dropping "Decpti-creeps" like this.

Totally bang-on about the designs, mate. Nothing striking about any of 'em on the villains' side. And what happened to the complete disavowal of physics from the cartoons? Megatron isn't Megatron unless he's flouting science by transforming from a giant robotic humanoid into a regular Earth size rifle and possibly from there into a tank of some description.

They're aliens and it isn't any more of a stretch than the tripe Bay tried to make us swallow so why not actually use stuff from the franchise that's already there which could maximize fun?
          "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

I'd have shit bricks if Megatron SOUNDED like Megatron AND looked somewhat like him. That and when he went rifle mode Starscream would shoot him even though Megatron hated him.

I'm saddened that my two sentences above have more character development than THREE TF's films.

Comment

Harlin also gave us the great defining Samuel L. Jackson moment for all times. You know what I'm talking about, baby.

Oh, uh, "Spoiler alert?"
              Originally posted by Ari

Comment

I'd kill to see Renny recycle some of his previous work in a TF movie like Mikey B did on top of the call to arms regarding the design overhauls.

I'm specifically talking about Cliffhanger and the most memorable use of a stalagtite in film history.

Just replace Sly with Ironhide and Leon with Starscream. Scratch that. Replace Leon with Scourge.

Yeah.
                Last edited by Captain Russ; 07-07-2011, 04:03 PM.
                Me quick one want slow

Comment

That's it!

Harlin marathon at my place! I'll get the pizza and beer. Someone bring the DVDs!
                  Originally posted by Ari

Comment

Jamie, I'd totally be there if I could.
                    Originally posted by Martin
                    Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
                    Originally posted by gravedigger
                    Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
                    Originally posted by Martin
                    And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
                    Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

Ditto.
                      Me quick one want slow

Comment

I want to get this get right...

In some alternate Sliders reality where there was CG technology in the 80s like there is now, Harlin would have done Transformers? Is that what we're saying?
                        Originally posted by Ari

Comment

Originally posted by B_Metal View Post
                          That and when he went rifle mode Starscream would shoot him even though Megatron hated him.

I'm saddened that my two sentences above have more character development than THREE TF's films.
                          Frank Welker's still alive. It's not too late to bring him back for your debut, Renny!

Also, I share your sadness at that fact. Sincerely.

Just replace Sly with Ironhide and Leon with Starscream. Scratch that. Replace Leon with Scourge.

Yeah.
                          What about Thrust? I always liked his red paint-job. He almost didn't look evil enough to be a Decepticon.

Originally posted by Matt View Post
                          Jamie, I'd totally be there if I could.
                          Me too. That'd go down a treat right now.

I'm in the mood to extend fan-casting so I'm just gonna say it: Kurt Russell as Springer.
                          "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

But who sings the remake of "The Touch"?

Comment

Linkin Park...sadly.

-Edit-

Oh, in the 80s....Hmm.

Can I say Huey Lewis and The News?
                              "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

Originally posted by B_Metal View Post
                                But who sings the remake of "The Touch"?
                                I'd be happy with a remastered version of Bush's original, although if David Lee Roth fancied taking a shot at a proper Van Halen version (again, via the wonder of this 80's Sliders scenario we've got going on) with his patented high-pitched "WOOOOOOW"s after almost every line, I might be persuaded.

Comment

Working...
                                X