This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No (Smoking) Jacket Required: Iggy's Cigar Thread

OK, so there wasn't a huge display of interest. But I miss doing it, so here goes: The Cigar Thread is reborn! If Rob would be so kind as to sticky this one, it'd be greatly appreciated.

This actually comes at an auspicious time, since Saturday 5/1/10 is this year's annual CI Cigarfest. That will result in a great story and numerous good reviews, I'm sure. I still haven't smoked all the freebies I got at last year's.

Anyway, to start things off, here as some quickie reviews of new things I've tried since my last posting on the CHUD thread:

Padilla Commemorative 1932. This was a very, very different cigar. I liked it a LOT, but it's clearly not for everyone. It's extremely hearty & full, but smooth. It has strong notes of both black pepper (which is a fairly common nuance in cigar tobacco) and even stronger notes of RED pepper. Heartily spicy, indeed! If you like mellow smokes, you almost certainly won't like this one. But if hearty & full or spicy is your cup of tea, give one of these a try. COnsidering how good these & the Series '68's were, I'm eager to try the rest of the Padilla catalog.

CI Legends Blue Label by Matasa. best of the CI Legends I've tried so far, I think (I have, for the record, tried Green by Puros Indios, Copper by Drew Estate, Gray by Cusano - now discontinued - and White by Camacho, review follows). This one was mellow, and had definite notes of sweet spice. A sharp contrast to the Padilla '32. If you like mellow or sweet cigars, you can't go wrong w/ these, particularly at the price.

CI Legends White by Camacho. Kind of reminded me of a CAO Black, which is a good thing, but not as strongly flavored. Advertised as full flavored, I think they were more of an upper medium, and had notes of vanilla, which made it very enjoyable (but the CAO's are stronger, so it still gets the nod). Again, for the price this isn't a bad choice for mellow/medium or sweet fans.

Gurkha Havana Legend: Stumbled across this one in a rinky dink smoke shop in Green Brook. Never heard of it before. But it was a delightful little smoke. Medium full in body, but tamed by considerable sweetness from the maduro wrapper, and like most Gurkhas, was smooth and refined in character. Another winner from Gurkha.

More reviews to follow as I try new stuff. I also welcome questions from newbies and experienced smokers alike. Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!
    I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

I used to partake in cigars, but have not touched them in years, and my big concern at this point is the smoke. Is it at all possible to fight off any odors in your clothes after having a cigar?

Also, will take recommendations of good cigar/scotch combos. I'd like to fake being classy for my birthday.

Comment

Not a big cigar smoker, but yeah...there's something about a real Cuban cigar that's fucking awesome. AWESOME. I used to pound those bad boys when we'd go up to Canada fishing.
      Originally posted by Martin
      Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
      Originally posted by gravedigger
      Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
      And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
      Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

Originally posted by BillyG View Post
        I used to partake in cigars, but have not touched them in years, and my big concern at this point is the smoke. Is it at all possible to fight off any odors in your clothes after having a cigar?

Also, will take recommendations of good cigar/scotch combos. I'd like to fake being classy for my birthday.
        Not much to do about the odor that I'm aware of, I'm afraid.

As far as good scotch pairings, try a Quinta Ruban, with its chocolaty notes, with any chocolaty cigar. Suggestions would inlcude the Indian Tabac Super Fuerte maduro, Nestor Plascencia Reserve, Victor Sinclair Connecticut Yankee, or Perdomo Cabinet Series Oscuro.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Comment

Quinta Ruban is my scotch of choice, Iggy. I'd replace my blood with it if I could.
          Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.

Comment

I'm not a smoker, but I know plenty of cigar aficionados who might be interested in Iggy's advice. At the least, I can get my learn on about all things cigar, so thanks for the thread, Ig!

Comment

Originally posted by BillyG View Post
              IAlso, will take recommendations of good cigar/scotch combos. I'd like to fake being classy for my birthday.
              Thought of some more pairings:
              Cragganmore, with its toffee, caramel like notes, would probably go well with Romeo y Julieta Viejas, or CAO L'Anniversaire Cameroons. Both those also have toffee/caramel notes to them.

Not a fan, but Lagavulin, w/ its salty notes, might pair well w/ a Fonseca Classic, which is very mild but has a salty undertone.

The Balvenie's Rum Cask 17, which has a spicy character to it, might pair well w/ a Nat Sherman Gotham, or a Maxx by Alec Bradley, maybe an Indian Tabac (ITC) 10th anniversary, or a Padilla Commemorative Series 68.

Or a Balvenie 15 y.o. Single Barrell w/ a Perdomo Golf. Both have floral, almost honey notes.

Comment

Ig...

Help me out, brother.

Turn me on to a economical smoke I can enjoy when the Macallan has run out and I'm drinking the Famous Grouse. Granted, it's a blend, but it's a good blend.

Comment

Do you tend to like milder, sweeter stuff, or stronger, more full bodied & robust smokes? Let me know & I'll give it some thought.

And this seems like the perfect opprtunity to pimp my favorite mail order sources: Cigarsintl.com and its sister site Cigarbid.com. Lowest prices, best selection, fastest delivery, most courteous customer service ANYWHERE. I get 99% of my smokes from these sites. If you have any interest in cigars, do yourself the favor of checking them out.

Comment

I'm a bolder kind of guy. I smoke Camels, FFS!

Comment

Turkish gold or straight up unfiltered?

Anyway, that's my two cents. I will not derail such a damn good thread.
                      "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Hocken View Post
                        Turkish gold or straight up unfiltered?

Anyway, that's my two cents. I will not derail such a damn good thread.
                        Filterless, my brother... as God intended.

Comment

Originally posted by V View Post
                          Filterless, my brother... as God intended.
                          That is HardFuckingCore.
                          Touch it. Touch my fuzziness! It's like petting a kitten!
                          Now drop the pants and take the bacon!
                          POUTINE AND CELINE DION FOR EVERYONE!!!!

Comment

Sorry, gotta say it. Everytime I see this thread title, I get 'Sussudio' stuck in my brain.

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan View Post
                              That is HardFuckingCore.
                              I have a friend who rolls his own with a machine. For his papers, tobacco, and rolling machine, he ends up only paying $7-8 a carton when he makes his own.

Think I might go that route, considering how much I smoke.

Comment

Working...
                              X