No announcement yet.

The Pacific

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The characters will make or break it, and I only remember Sadler and Radio Flyer from the first episode.
    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

But you take away the japs and add zombies or a future war and I'd be all over it. We know I have poor taste.
      "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

Originally posted by Jobe View Post
        Har har.

Listen, the jist of it is: kids join military, learn stuff about themselves, kill nazi/japs/ rinse repeat.
        When did we become so jaded on WWII? Seriously.
        We are so accustomed to disguise ourselves to others that in the end we become disguised to ourselves.
        - Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Just tell me to get off your lawn already.

Comment

Originally posted by Howard View Post
            When did we become so jaded on WWII? Seriously.
            Ok, that was an over-generalization. But I honestly am just not that interested in the subject matter anymore. After reading books, playing games, watching movies, watching documentaries, etc, it all blurs together.

Comment

Damnit.
              We are so accustomed to disguise ourselves to others that in the end we become disguised to ourselves.
              - Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I will say this though: this first episode was MILES better than any episode of Generation Kill that I saw. Only for the fact that at least that generation wasn't a bunch of fucktards. Well most of them.

Comment

Let's face it, thanks to Call of Duty. Gunning down nazis has become old hat.

Meaning we now have to turn to the Civil War for mowing down Johnny Reb.
                  "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

Har har.

Listen, the jist of it is: kids join military, learn stuff about themselves, kill nazi/japs/ rinse repeat.
                    Sometimes when I feel naughty...

I repeat twice!

Comment

There are still shit tons of great battles and stories out there waiting to be made.

Damn, this reminds me that I need to check out that recent bio on Curtis LeMay.

Fuck it, where's my COD style game on the Spanish-American War?
                      "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

I don't see the complaint about this being another WW2 show/movie. As Ed said, almost nothing covers the Pacific. We all have this weird fucking hard on for the European theater of war, and the men that went over to the islands get fuck all for recognition and respect. Any well made production about this theater deserves a chance, and this series has pedigree for days.

I also don't get the complaint about growing up in a soldier's home turning you off, Rob. Try growing up in a home where your dad is fucking pissed that he wasn't able to join the armed forces because of a health issue, and so in turn tries to make the 15 years of your life revolve around marine rules and regulations. My dad was a drill sergeant until I grew to be bigger than him, and I couldn't go 10 minutes without hearing "one screws up, all punished! JUST LIKE THE MARINES" because my sister dropped the sugar or something.

Really, what I'm saying is, a good movie/show is a good movie or show. I didn't turn off This Boys Life because it hit too close to home.

NOW TAKE YOUR MAN UP PILLS D-FENS!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Hocken View Post
                            I must admit, how many movies cover the Pacific theater? There's the Thin Red Line, Flags of our Fathers and the Japanese one. But outside of that, can't imagine too much else recently.
                            Letters to Iwo Jima. Then there is Bridge on the River Kwai and Empire of the Sun. The Last Emperor as well, I suppose.

Comment

But just because "it's good" doesn't mean I have to like it. I'm not saying it's a shit show. It just didn't make me go OH MY GOD IT'S FULL OF STARS.

Comment

But just because "it's good" doesn't mean I have to like it. I'm not saying it's a shit show. It just didn't make me go OH MY GOD IT'S FULL OF STARS.
                                And that's why we have those tags!

But seriously, you wrote it off before you even saw it. That's what bothers me.

(not that anyone here has done that for a million shit movies, no no no we would never do that right guys?)

Comment

Working...
                                X