Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caught the Imax 3D show tonight

Spoiler: all the spoils 
    Really enjoyed this, a good blend of old and new. The characters and their interactions were great, the humor wasn't pandering or childish, I really like Rey, Finn and Poe and can't wait to spend 2 more films with them. Did not feel that way about any character in the prequels.

Managed to avoid all the Solo spoilers, both that Ren was the kid and that he kills Han, but the second Han went to confront him on the base I was knew it was gonna be another Obi Wan Episode IV moment. Not sold on Ren as the big baddie for much more of the trilogy, even though Snoke is gonna finish his training, Reys gonna train with Luke now and already showed she is stronger in the force 5 min after learning she had it and beat him in a duel the first time she held a light saber. I mean, obvs Snoke is his master and therefore more powerful? But we didn't see the Emperor do a single thing until the end of Jedi, he was just the behind the scenes guy.

Also like you guys I was fucking LOVING the idea of Snoke as some 40 foot Sith lord and was bummed when it was a hologram haha

Comparing Phasma to Boba Fett and Maul isn't even a fair comparison because at least those characters did SOMETHING. Boba is set up as the deadliest of all the bounty hunters, isn't fooled by Han hiding the Falcon in the trash, at least participates in the battle on the sail barge.. Maul fights off Qui Gon and Obi Wan at the same time, kills one. Phasma... Has shiny armor. Says two lines. Gets jumped by Chewie. Says two more lines and exits the film. At this point the character is such a joke that I don't even want to see her come back as some evil badass later, I'll just remember the Cheque tackle.

If Boba Fett got taken out by Lobot halfway through Empire no one would give a shit about him either.. Phasma didn't get one good scene. Shame.

Gonna be a loooong wait for the next one!
    Last edited by Trejo; 12-22-2015, 12:37 AM.
    XBL/PSN/Steam Gamertag - CalgaryRonin

Comment

• Originally posted by Trejo View Post
      Caught the Imax 3D show tonight

Spoiler: all the spoils 
      Really enjoyed this, a good blend of old and new. The characters and their interactions were great, the humor wasn't pandering or childish, I really like Rey, Finn and Poe and can't wait to spend 2 more films with them. Did not feel that way about any character in the prequels.

Managed to avoid all the Solo spoilers, both that Ren was the kid and that he kills Han, but the second Han went to confront him on the base I was knew it was gonna be another Obi Wan Episode IV moment. Not sold on Ren as the big baddie for much more of the trilogy, even though Snoke is gonna finish his training, Reys gonna train with Luke now and already showed she is stronger in the force 5 min after learning she had it and beat him in a duel the first time she held a light saber. I mean, obvs Snoke is his master and therefore more powerful? But we didn't see the Emperor do a single thing until the end of Jedi, he was just the behind the scenes guy.

Also like you guys I was fucking LOVING the idea of Snoke as some 40 foot Sith lord and was bummed when it was a hologram haha

Comparing Phasma to Boba Fett and Maul isn't even a fair comparison because at least those characters did SOMETHING. Boba is set up as the deadliest of all the bounty hunters, isn't fooled by Han hiding the Falcon in the trash, at least participates in the battle on the sail barge.. Maul fights off Qui Gon and Obi Wan at the same time, kills one. Phasma... Has shiny armor. Says two lines. Gets jumped by Chewie. Says two more lines and exits the film. At this point the character is such a joke that I don't even want to see her come back as some evil badass later, I'll just remember the Cheque tackle.

If Boba Fett got taken out by Lobot halfway through Empire no one would give a shit about him either.. Phasma didn't get one good scene. Shame.

Gonna be a loooong wait for the next one!
        Spoiler: Spurhlrers! 
      Like Fett and Maul, Phasma was featured pretty heavily in the promotional stuff before the movie came out, especially after it was revealed Gwendoline Christie was playing the character. Lots of folks were expecting her to do a hell of a lot of stuff in this film, but she was sidelined instead.

You're correct that Maul and Fett did much, much more than she did. In fact, Maul did a fuckton more than Fett ever did in the series; Maul had two fights with Qui-Gon, and clipped him before Obi-Wan sliced him in twain in one epic lightsaber battle (probably my favorite one in the series). Apart from Fett the kid in AOTC, all Boba did really was fire off his blaster a couple of times and fall into a Sarlacc pit as a goof.

Phasma, it was hoped, would at least do much, much more than was shown. She's coming back in Episode VIII, so if her first appearance turns out to be a slow burn for some good stuff the next go 'round, I'll cut her no show some slack.

Re: "Mary Sue" - Hell, Luke Skywalker was George Lucas' avatar, so if Rey is JJ Abrams as a lady capable, strong, kicker of ass, and stomper of Sith, more power to her. The Jedi legacy is in excellent hands going forward.

Spoiler: Finn-tastic! 
      Also, anyone else mentally say "Fuck him up, Finn" when he took up the lightsaber and duelled Kylo Ren in the snowy forest? Or was it just me?

Comment

• The closest thing we got to an audience-avatar in the original trilogy was Luke, and his story is the defining hero's journey for our time. It's perfect.

Spoiler: Spoilers, bitches, yo! 
        But it was great to see a character handle a lightsaber for the first time exactly how we would, a la we'd fuck shit up including ourselves. That was a great angle to add we didn't get previously.

Complaining that Rey could handle it so well her first time out would be legit, if the story didn't already address how she also suddenly had the instincts kicked in to pilot the Falcon like she did. She is the literal force awakening.
        Last edited by FilmNerdJamie; 12-22-2015, 05:58 AM.
        Originally posted by Ari
        The only thing I want to tell her vagina is nomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom

Comment

• The snow lightsaber fight is second only to the epic Darth Maul fight. It was so good.
          BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• The Luke/Vader duel in Empire remains the all-timer for me.
            Originally posted by Ari

Comment

• Agreed. The Empire duel is tops for me. I think the raw energy and rage of the duel in Force Awakens is a nice counterpoint to the ballet of the Duel of the Fates.

Comment

• The snow duel is definitely Top 3.
                Originally posted by Ari

Comment

• easily
                  "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Thirded/fourthed. Lightsaber battles for me rank:

1. Luke/Vader in TESB
                    2. Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon/Maul in TPM
                    3. Kylo/Rey/Finn in TFA
                    4. Luke/Vader in ROTJ
                    5. Obi-Wan/Anakin/Yoda/Dooku in AOTC
                    Originally posted by Martin
                    Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
                    Originally posted by gravedigger
                    Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
                    And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
                    Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• Corrected to suit my ranking.

Originally posted by Matt View Post
                      Thirded/fourthed. Lightsaber battles for me rank:

1. Luke/Vader in TESB
                      2. Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon/Maul in TPM
                      3. Kylo/Rey/Finn in TFA
                      4. Luke/Vader in ROTJ
                      5. EVERYTHING ELSE
                      Originally posted by Ari

Comment

• lol, pretty much. That saber battle in AOTC is pretty much the only thing in that film that I like, though...as such, I felt ok calling it out.
                        Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
                        Originally posted by gravedigger
                        Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
                        And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
                        Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• Originally posted by gravedigger View Post
                          Someone tell me what a "Mary Sue" is in non-hyperbolic-Internet terms, please. Near as I can tell it's a strong independent woman. What's wrong with that?
                          It's where the author/reader is given an avatar in the story. And they're amazing at everything. They may not be the main character, but they're the best/smartest/toughest/strongest character. It went from being a complaint about how characters were written to a complaint how female characters that aren't just love interests/princesses to be rescued. But like, every male fantasy character is an ultimate Mary Sue. I love Kvothe, but ultimate Mary Sue.

Comment

• We saw it this morning. A lot to process.
                            Touch it. Touch my fuzziness! It's like petting a kitten!
                            Now drop the pants and take the bacon!
                            POUTINE AND CELINE DION FOR EVERYONE!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Nathan View Post
                              We saw it this morning. A lot to process.
                              Saw it Saturday. The more I think about it, the more I like it.

2nd viewing during the Holidays.

Comment

• Originally posted by BillyG View Post
                                I love Kvothe, but ultimate Mary Sue.
                                Perfect exemple. Which is why I have some troubles reading book 2. I'll always prefer Locke Lamora to Kvothe.

Comment

Working...
                                X