Gone Fishin'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gone Fishin'

I know Matt maybe our resident expert on the subject. But I've book a fishing trip up to Mammoth Mountain the second week of August. I understand it's primarily trout there, which should be good fun. But to be honest I'm not an experienced angler. Any tips for a rookie? Rods, bait, must have shit?

I don't know how to fly fish, and I don't have anyone to teach me, plus I don't want to invest in anything too expensive. The last pole I bought was a Shakespeare Ugly Stik, which was pretty good IMO...help me out.
    Instagram: thepatronsaintofcheeseburgers

I wish I could help you B. I'm that guy that loves the idea of fishing but can't stomach buying all the shit you need to do it. Hope your trip goes well.
    "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

Originally posted by Prof. Frank VonBlumpington View Post
      I know Matt maybe our resident expert on the subject. But I've book a fishing trip up to Mammoth Mountain the second week of August. I understand it's primarily trout there, which should be good fun. But to be honest I'm not an experienced angler. Any tips for a rookie? Rods, bait, must have shit?

I don't know how to fly fish, and I don't have anyone to teach me, plus I don't want to invest in anything too expensive. The last pole I bought was a Shakespeare Ugly Stik, which was pretty good IMO...help me out.
      Do you know anyone that you can borrow stuff from? I would only buy stuff if you know you will love it and are going to keep doing it. (In regards to physical equipment, I know nothing about bait)
      If I were Shé, do you think I'd be operating a taco truck? Shé brings hope. Shé rights the wrongs. Unfortunately, Shé is a myth.

Comment

Here's what's in my tackle box:

Beer
        huge fuckin' bag of salted in the shell peanuts
        more beer

I fish a little but not enough to be remotely qualified in recommending bait or tackle.

Comment

Trout? Best bait, hands down is a live worm. Second best bait? Corn. Lures are for sissies.

I use small hooks (forces you to become a better angler), as far as fishing line I would suggest a 6 lb test.

For the rod and reel? Well, if you aren't going to do this on a somewhat regular basis then I would go for the cheaper ones. I had picked up one of these while I was up in Arkansas to fish (rainbow trout) http://www.amazon.com/Quantum-Teton-.../dp/B001NPCJHS. I'm strictly a catch and release guy.
          Last edited by Howard; 07-24-2010, 12:39 AM.
          We are so accustomed to disguise ourselves to others that in the end we become disguised to ourselves.
          - Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

When I'm at my brothers my favorite lure is a surface lure that looks like a frog. I like this one because since there are so many weeds and lily pads it doesn't get caught as easily.
            If I were Shé, do you think I'd be operating a taco truck? Shé brings hope. Shé rights the wrongs. Unfortunately, Shé is a myth.

Comment

Sissy.
              We are so accustomed to disguise ourselves to others that in the end we become disguised to ourselves.

Comment

Nothing wrong with an uglystick rod/reel combo. I bought one of those for my wife last year before we went up to Canada and it worked beautifully for her. Just be sure and buy the setup that has a trigger on the reel...you'll thank me later.

You'll need/want the following for your tackle box:
                - 6"-8" steel leaders
                - swivels
                - jigs/little joes (with weights)

lures:
                - 1 or 2 buzzbait (surface lures)
                - 1 or 2 spinner bait
                - 1 or 2 Rapala shad rap lures
                - Mepps #5 spoon

Those lures are my basics. If I'm hunting something bigger (like Northern or Muskie), I'll get one of those big Rapala deep diving lures.
                Originally posted by Martin
                Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
                Originally posted by gravedigger
                Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
                And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
                Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

I've always been a live bait kind of guy. Lures just seem like a cheat.

Comment

Whatever works to catch fish...

Walleye: I use minnows on Little Joe rigs or Jigs. I'll slaughter them all day long
                    Northern or Muskie: I use lures. If I'm going after really big ones, I'll use those huge Rapala cigars.

Other things for your tackle box:
                    - needle nose pliers
                    - nail clipper
                    - bandaids

Always bring rain gear.
                    Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
                    Originally posted by gravedigger
                    Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
                    And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
                    Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
                      Nothing wrong with an uglystick rod/reel combo. I bought one of those for my wife last year before we went up to Canada and it worked beautifully for her. Just be sure and buy the setup that has a trigger on the reel...you'll thank me later.

You'll need/want the following for your tackle box:
                      - 6"-8" steel leaders
                      - swivels
                      - jigs/little joes (with weights)

lures:
                      - 1 or 2 buzzbait (surface lures)
                      - 1 or 2 spinner bait
                      - 1 or 2 Rapala shad rap lures
                      - Mepps #5 spoon

Those lures are my basics. If I'm hunting something bigger (like Northern or Muskie), I'll get one of those big Rapala deep diving lures.
                      Shhoooooooot, a fellla could have a pretty good weekend in vegas with all that stuff.
                      Touch it. Touch my fuzziness! It's like petting a kitten!
                      Now drop the pants and take the bacon!
                      POUTINE AND CELINE DION FOR EVERYONE!!!!

Comment

Thanks...I think I'm set. I think I have most of that stuff. And the word I'm getting from my brother in law is that worms are the best bet. They have a syringe that they inflate them with that makes them even more appealing to the trout. Really looking forward to this trip. Should be fun.
                        Instagram: thepatronsaintofcheeseburgers

Comment

Working...
                        X