The Name of the Wind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Name of the Wind

I finished this book last night, by Patrick Rothfuss. Great fantasy book. Has a lot of your typical fantasy trappings, but a lot of fresh stuff as well. My favorite thing is how funny, and what great sense of humor the book has. The story in the first book, and it appears at least the next book as well, goes back and forth between current day and the main character, Kvothe (Quothe) telling his story to a scribe, so a large chunk reads like a biography.

But plenty of action, humor, bad guys, ancient evils, and even a dragon. I think this may be my favorite fantasy book ever at this point. I need to read it again, maybe over the summer, but I love it. I measure most fantasy to LOTR, and what I like so much here is that all the characters are created perfectly. I never felt that it was a great world with so-so characters as I do in large chunks with Tolkien.

Good read. I've been waiting for book 2 for awhile now. Rothfuss seems to have fallen into a hole and can't write himself out.
    We are so accustomed to disguise ourselves to others that in the end we become disguised to ourselves.
    - Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Loved it. Loved it. Loved it. Along with The Lies of Locke Lamora, some of the best fantasy of the last decade.

And I didn't quite loved Tolkien. Loved his world-building, but he's a bad writer (at least for me).

We should start a fantasy thread.
      BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

Have patiently been waiting for book 3 of Locke Lamora. You guys need to catch up on your reading.
        We are so accustomed to disguise ourselves to others that in the end we become disguised to ourselves.

Comment

Read book 2 as well Howard. Loved it too.

Scott Lynch has a depression, so that's why it's late.

Comment

Never heard of Locke Lamora. Will see if I can't get it soon.

Comment

Do that now. As in, this very second.

Comment

I have to find out if I can have packages sent to the hotel. I'm not shipping anything to the site, because any of 100 people could take the delivery.

Comment

Locke Lamora > Name of the Wind.

Imagine Ocean's 11, in a fantasy setting, influenced with a close-to Italian 16th Century City-State settings.

Among my top 3 of the genre.

Comment

Brief side derail (what the hell, this is a fantasy thread). Picked DoD back up for the last 100 pages and I'm turned around. He ended it on a Ohmygodineedthenextbooknownote.

Comment

You didn't finished it up?

It actually make sense.
                        Spoiler: SPOILERS 
                      Powers attract each others, hence what happened. The K'Chain Naruk were featured all through the series as citadels in the Imperial realm.

The part with the Barghast was sad as hell. And the Icarium and The Snake part made sense in the end. Especially when you who the kids are running from.

And the Icarium part?

You know the guy is bound to repeat his mistakes ever since his breaking of the Shadow realm, and now it just might be his way out.

And the Bonehunters?
                      Not dead. Pretty sure of it.

I liked it.

Comment

I hadn't. Got real frustrated when it seemed like none of the storylines were converging. Boy did they start to converge. Agree about the last spoiler. Most definitely.

Comment

I'm reading Return of the Crimson Guard. Love that Greymane is in there. I'll get Esselmont next novel, Stonewielder, will be about Korel.

And I wonder if we'll see the human Tyrant the Imass went to fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                            I'm reading Return of the Crimson Guard. Love that Greymane is in there. I'll get Esselmont next novel, Stonewielder, will be about Korel.

And I wonder if we'll see the human Tyrant the Imass went to fight.
                            Oh shit, this just morphed into a talk about the Books of the Malazan Empire didn't it! I am on book 3 but I am having a hard time making it through. The first two were so dense and the third one so far seems lie they are making a brand new book again with all of the new characters they are introducing. Tell me it gets better...
                            <sigh> FACEBOOK - MY WEBSITE

Comment

As far as Name of the Wind goes, I really enjoyed that book too. It is strikingly similar to the Earthsea books (by design, according to the author). So if you have never read them, pick up that series too.
                              <sigh> FACEBOOK - MY WEBSITE

Comment

Working...
                              X