No announcement yet.

TPBs and Omnibuses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's the set I've got. Got 'em in a binder with my True Crime cards (sets 1 and 2! G-men and Gangsters, and Serial Killers), my Mego Museum cards, and some other stuff.

Comment

• I think I still have my Hildebrandt line, but the others are lost to the sands of time.
      Me quick one want slow

Comment

• I would've loved to have had a set of the original Mars Attacks cards myself. I used to have some of the Dinosaur Attacks cards, but as cool as they were... just not the same.

Anywho, sort of back on topic, anyone remember Faust from Rebel Studios? If they ever finish it, that'd be a graphic novel to pick up.

Comment

• GOTS MAH BLACKSAD, AWWWWYEAAAAHHHH
          Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Almost finished with the second installment of Locke & Key, subtitled "Head Games."

Joe Hill's writing is fantastic, with a great grasp on pacing that is strongly reinforced by the beautiful rendering by Gabe Rodriguez. There were moments that just hit like a freight train when the page-turn reveals arrived. Absolutely surreal stuff in this volume.

Example: a key exists that can fit into the back of the neck, and at the turn of the lock, the top of their head pops off, revealing mini-thems milling about in their subconscious.

Syrianly, some of the best supernatural stuff out there right now.
            Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Yup.

Locke & Key is fucking fantastic.

Read it. Know it. Live it.
              Me quick one want slow

Comment

• My best friend loaned me his hardcover/slipcased copy of Girls: The Complete Collection from the Luna Bros./Image Comics. Very good read - despite it's pretty daunting size (all 24 issues collected), I got sucked in and pissed most of Sunday away reading it. Takes the whole battle of the sexes theme and turns it on it's ear - men, women, gays, straights: all of 'em get their moments in the sun, and all of them get taken down a notch or two as well.

The characters are complex enough to keep you guessing, as pretty much all of them go through degrees of likability (some characters you root for in one chapter, only to hate 'em in the next when they do something cruel or stupid as fear and paranoia take hold). Also, the story has definite zombie elements (cannibalism, being overwhelmed by a horde of creatures, etc.) as well as some sci-fi stuff, too.

Very, very good read - if you can borrow it at a library, do so.

Comment

• I picked up the first 3 installments of that for Lesley a while ago. Not bad, but I wasn't a fan of the art.
                  "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Yeah, the art (and some elements of the story) did have a strong manga influence, I thought, but as the story progresses, it sort of works. There were a few panels that should have been redrawn here and there, and some of the characters can be hard to keep track of as they appear way too similar, but all-in-all, the art was serviceable.

Comment

• Originally posted by McMeatbag View Post
                      Almost finished with the second installment of Locke & Key, subtitled "Head Games."

Joe Hill's writing is fantastic, with a great grasp on pacing that is strongly reinforced by the beautiful rendering by Gabe Rodriguez. There were moments that just hit like a freight train when the page-turn reveals arrived. Absolutely surreal stuff in this volume.

Example: a key exists that can fit into the back of the neck, and at the turn of the lock, the top of their head pops off, revealing mini-thems milling about in their subconscious.

Syrianly, some of the best supernatural stuff out there right now.
                      Picked up the first one in this series based on this recommendation. So far it's fucking great. Like, really great. Thanks man.
                      "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

• Good to hear, man.

It's definitely a new favorite around here. I'm gonna go pick up the third trade sometime this week and also get Daytripper, which is supposed to be fucking brilliant.
                        Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Originally posted by McMeatbag View Post
                          Yup.

Locke & Key is fucking fantastic.

Read it. Know it. Live it.

Just finished the first installment. Going out today to get the next one. FUCKING LOVE THIS BOOK.

Comment

• Looks like I'll get Locke & Key!
                            BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• About half way through the second installment.

Awesome. <3

Comment

• The two-page splash of the theater flashback was fucking astounding.

Same goes for the reveal of the kids' headspaces. Those were insanely well done.

Oh, and the story is really really good at striking the right balance between the fantastic and the humdrum aspects of growing up.
                                Last edited by Captain Russ; 03-07-2011, 01:12 PM.
                                Me quick one want slow

Comment

Working...
                                X