Iggy Horror Thread IV: Keepin' it in the Family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iggy Horror Thread IV: Keepin' it in the Family

The recent discussion on J Horror, and its focus on parental betrayal got me to thinking about the broader theme of family based (or at least, family involved) horror. To answer Tim's question: I had in mind here a discussion of instances in which the horror lies in being done wrong by one's own family. I already alluded to what is probably the most salient example in American horror fiction, Jack Torrance's descent into madness and stalking of his wife & son in "The Shining" (both print & film versions).

But clearly, other examples abound. Returning to King for a moment, we learn thru one of Johnny Smith's visions about the torments Frank Dodd's mother inflicts on him, turning him into a serial killer in "The Dead Zone" (the novel). Thomas Harris delves into the childhood abuse that warped the mind of Francis Dolarhyde in the novel version of "Red Dragon". He did the same, albeit with a much lessened impact, IMO, with Hannibal Lecter in "Hannibal" and "Hannibal Rising". It's been years since I've seen either, but IIRC, the killers in the original versions of "Prom Night" and "My Bloody Valentine" were the brothers of the primary target victims. For that matter, so was Michael Myers. And one could argue that Dad returning from the grave to kill off his ungrateful spawn (and get his cake) in "Father's Day" (The Creepshow installment) was made perhaps a little more creepy by virtue of the familial relationship at play there. And who could forget Gage Creed returning from the grave to play with his Mommy & Daddy one last time?

The reason this is such an effective device seems obvious, and was previously mentioned by some who responded to the J Horror thread: family is the core of our interpersonal relationships as human beings. When those closest to us, who are supposed to, by definition, support, love & protect us instead turn on us and try to harm/kill us, it is profoundly horrifying. This effect is magnified, of course, when the person betrayed is a child. Witness, Jack Ketchum's "The Girl Next Door", in both its print & film versions. What happened to Meg would have been horrifying regardless of who did it to her. But wasn't it made that much worse by the fact that Ruth was her Aunt? Children are often powerless (or perceive themselves to be so) in the face of adult authority. That effect is magnified when the adults in question are the victim's family (and most especially a parent or parental figure).

I have gone on at great length about how I feel a current trend in horror is to inject an element of randomness into the victimology. On some level & in some instances, that works. Would a film like "The Strangers" have been enhanced by our learning at the end that the masked intruders were really someone's long lost brother? Certainly not. BUt Laurie Strode learning Michael Myers is her brother, and is hell bent on finishing what he started decades earlier certainly does. She now knows that this supernatural, relentless, remorseles killing machine is tied irrevocably to her, and has a deep seated (albeit warped) reason for trying to kill her. She can't stop being his sister any moe than she can help it.

But consider the possibilities if you turn this model on its head, so to speak and look at the horror of a virtuous protector failing, intentionally or not, to live up to their obligations. "Pet Sematary" is a perfect example, as we witness Doc Creed's failure to protect Gage not once but twice: once when the truck kills him the 1st time, and then again when he realizes to his horror how he's failed Gage by bringing him back, and has to kill him the second time. Or Donna Trenton's being just a little too late to save Tad in the novel version of Cujo. And while not strictly a horror film, I imagine Michael Douglas' character in "Fatal Attraction" is pretty damned horrified to realize his infidelity brought the stalker Glenn Close character's terrible wrath down on his wife & daughter. And her bunny.

Tim asked, as I noted earlier, if this thread would involve a discussion of murderous, horrific families. I chose not to go that route because, IMO, there's really only one way to go with that concept: an isolated family (often inbred) stalks & kills outsiders. Does the fact it's a family doing it enhance anything there? I'd argue that, in & of itself, it doesn't. I suppose one could argue that to some extent ( a very limited one, at that) the fact that EVERYONE the fleeing victim/heroine encounters, even the kindly old Grandman, is in on the family's twisted agenda, can add a shock or two. But really, is Leatherface more terrifying because R. Lee Ermey's his older brother? I don't think so, anyway. But I'd love, as always, to hear argument to the contrary. Post some, or any other thoughts you have on this subject, even if it's only to list an example I omitted and why you feel it works.
    I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

[[Really Old Spoiler?]]

Twin Peaks all over this topic man. The reveal of 'Bob' to be Laura's father Leland is not only terrifying because hey, he killed his daughter.. but you throw in the molestation/rape stuff and it's just down and out disturbing on every level. Pretty much the ultimate violation within a family. Made for tv.
    XBL/PSN/Steam Gamertag - CalgaryRonin

Comment

I have never seen Twin Peaks. *sadfistbump*

So yeah, if anyone gets antsy for Christmas...

Comment

Actually, I thought R. Lee Ermey was more frightening than Leatherface... but I digress.

You mentioned 'Red Dragon', and the torment of Francis Dolarhyde. If you have ever seen the screen version on DVD with Hopkins and Fiennes, look in the deleted scenes where Dolarhyde is ordered by the Dragon, to kill Reba McClane.

Fiennes pulled off this internal torment and monologue masterfully in the theatrical cut... but when you see the deleted version and hear the Dragon as voiced by Frank Langella, it is truly menacing.

I'd give my left nut to have Frank Langella's voice. I'd call in to all the podcasts daily.

Comment

V.C. Andrews Flowers in the Attic definitely has family betrayal in it on the part of the mother, Corinne, putting her kids up in the attic while pandering to her own mother to secure an inheritance. Reading about all the abuse the kids go through, including the eventual death of one, while the mother loses interest and abandons them is pretty damn horrific, even more so in the film version.

Also, must remember to watch the Red Dragon DVD per Vin's recommendation.

Comment

To sort of extrapolate on Iggy's choice to not focus on murderous families, (I agree with him, as it would be too easy a subject to discuss, whereas this one makes you think a bit more), one could argue that such fiendish families wound up that way because one or both parents didn't do their jobs correctly. The families in TCM, as well as The Hills Have Eyes (I'm favoring the original on this one) wound up the way they did because the parents (the grandfather in TCM, Jupiter's dad in Hills) fucked up along the way. case in point: Jupiter killed his mother during childbirth, and his violent childhood eventually led to his dad kicking him out instead of trying to help him, which leads to payback as Jupiter kills his father, and Jupiter's kids run roughshod over their victims.

To get back to Iggy's original intent, you could make an argument for The Amityville Horror, be it the book or film, as the whole story/paranormal phenomena starts with the son, Ron DeFeo Jr., murdering his family one night. Again, not something one would expect one's kid to do, but it does sort of apply here.

Iggy's references to Stephen King are valid - King uses the family betrayal card not only in Pet Sematary, Dead Zone, and Cujo, but you can also see it in Thinner, especially during the wrap-up of that book, and even in Salem's Lot when Danny Glick turns his mom into a vampire.

Comment

The 'Salem's Lot refernce is particularly good; the idea of a child not only killing but turning his own mother into a vampire is really frightening. I mean, how much of a mind fuck/personality reversal does that require (in an ordinary child)?

But here's one for you: is the absolute corruption of something like the Glick situation worse or more frightening than a kid that's evil enough to do stuff like that on his own, without the need to be turned into a vampire 1st?

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Comment

I'd venture to say a kid that's evil to begin with, without being influenced by his/her family, is far worse. Some folks are just born evil, such as Henry (Macaulay Culkin) in The Good Son. This deftly ties in to the thread's theme, what with henry trying to whack his own mom, sister, and cousin Mark (Elijah Wood), leading to a pretty impressive coda at the end 'twixt Henry, his mom, and Mark.

You could also bring Damien from the Omen series (at least the first two films) into this discussion, too, but as he is the son of the debbil, he'd fall into the Glick camp of being turned/born evil from an outside influence.

Comment

Bumped for purposes of titilation. I had ideas for not one but two - count 'em, two - new horror discussion threads on my drive home from court today. And since I'm going on vacation this coming week, that means I should have time to get them posted some time shortly after Christmas. How lucky are you?

Comment

SWEET!

Comment

YEEEEEE

I still read these, even if I don't contribute. You always did good work, and I'm glad you're continuing it over here.
                      "Here, young man, your hormones are raging. Let's go in this bedroom, and we'll engage in some homosexual acts. You'll find you like it." - Rep. Ken Peterson, R-Billings

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one." - Don Draper

~
                      *RATED BEST POSTER OF 2011 - CHIPOTLE FAN FORUMS*~

Comment

Working...
                      X