No announcement yet.

Iggy Horror Thread V: Great Moments (or Ideas) in Bad Films

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you nailed it, Ig. The fanbase for horror is generally a lot more forgiving of any horror film to an extent, most likely because of the rarity of quality new films in the genre. It's like the good old days of the bootleg video cassette - the horror fanbase took off during the 80's mostly through word of mouth and trading of hard-to-find films on videotapes between fans that got the ball rolling. Those self-same films would lead to a one-upsmanship 'twixt fans as to who got the nastier film, which would inspire folks to make their own (hey, all you need are some blood capsules, some kind of hot girls to scare, drop trou, and chase, maybe a friend who can do some latex make-up, and a camera and you're all set), leading to a lot of direct-to-video (now direct-to-DVD) flicks.

That's changed to an extent with teh internetz - Bava, Fulci, Argento, Miike, etc. are all readily available via YouTube, torrents, downloads, and so on. Back in the day, us fans would be thankful for whatever we could get our hands on, whereas today's fan has a much easier time tracking said films down, and as a result might find stuff we thought cool kind of quaint (think on it - does Lugosi's Dracula really scare you the way Lee's Dracula might? Would Chaney's Wolfman make you shit your pants as readily as one of the beasties from Dog Soldiers? How about a zombie from NOTLD vs. one of the Walking Dead?)

Ah, but with such ease of service, it's easier to discern the shit from The Shining. Us old-timers do tend to remember films we grew up with through rose-colored glasses, and often we'll compare stuff being made today with those flicks we used to watch or hunt for. The newer fans might search the old stuff out, just to say that they saw it, but they're not as hungry for it as we were back then.

Horror's always been a hard sell for the general moviegoer. The reasons for this are many and valid (I'm not going to go into the feminist POV that horror films are degrading to women... even though it's usually a woman that takes out the bad guy once and for all at the film's end. That's a whole 'nother Horror Thread), but I think the biggest one would have to be embarrassment. Horror films are considered OK when you're younger and/or just starting out in a cinematic career (Jamie Lee Curtis, Jennifer Aniston, Renee Zellwiger, Matthew McConaughey, Johnny Depp, Anthony Perkins, Jack Nicholson, etc. all of 'em got their start in horror to a degree. Leave us also not forget Speilberg, Jackson, and Raimi either). It's where many celebs make their bones, so to speak, and since so many of them got their start there, some of them would view making a horror flick at the current points of their career a step backward. Often they'll get around this by going with "psychological thriller" or "thriller/suspense", but boil it down to it's essence, it's still horror, minus the more outrageous nastiness, of course.

Also, studios are having a tougher time keeping audiences in theaters. Horror is like the Western, Sci-Fi, Superhero, flick. Each genre is popular for a little bit (and it seems the cycle rate gets longer and longer), only to be replaced by another genre a few years later. Studios are loathe to fuck with something that works, and it's easier to crank out a Saw sequel than to risk a new project that might not catch fire. It's cyclical - horror got a shot in the arm via Saw, Final Destination, etc. but it'll ebb away for awhile when another genre takes it's turn. Like a corpse in the cemetery near Uneeda Medical Supply,it merely sleeps, awaiting a chande to rise from the grave, powered by a new idea or monster.

Comment

And I thought of another scene from another film that fits the thread's original criteria: The POV decapitation from "Midnight Meat Train". I found the film to be slow and plodding as far as pacing was concerned, and the ending sequence was filmed so darkly I couldn't make heads or tails out of what was happening onscreen, which made me want to punch the DP in the dick. But that ONE scene definitely is worth the price of admission all on its own. I can't remember when was the last time I saw something that cool, and know I haven't since.
      I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Comment

Though of another one - Ghost Ship (2002). The film itself didn't do much for me really, couple of neat ideas, but I must give it up for the opening sequence, where a bunch of happy passengers dancing on the main deck are bisected by a broken cable in mid-dance. The "holy shit!" moment gets better at the very end where Katie, a little girl who figures into the story later is shocked to discover the captain of the ship, who she was dancing with, gets the top of his head lopped off right in front of her.

Comment

Totally forgot that one. That was a terrific opening sequence in an otherwise pretty bad film (I just watched it again recently, and while it wasn't quite as bad as I remember it, it was still nowhere near good as a whole).

Along the same lines, one could argue that the first 10 minutes of carnage that was the opening of the 04 remake of DOTD (which is still one of the strongest opening sequences ina film to date, I think) almost makes up for a by and large lackluster rest-of-the-movie.
          I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Comment

Originally posted by IggytheBorg View Post
            Also, the movie CHUD had a cool moment (as opposed to the website, which is now an unmitigated disaster)....
            *sniff*
            "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

Working...
            X