No announcement yet.

PodCaust Episode 39: Into the forum, into the fray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wish I could go through a wormhole and watch They Live starring Kurt Russell. Just to see what it would've been like. I suspect there wouldn't be such a baroque alleyway brawl, complete with back body drops and the like.

I'd say Prince of Darkness was pretty fucking awesome. Sorry, but Satan hiding behind a mirror is more unnerving than Michael Myers. For some reason, it's Carpenter's ability to instill a fear of something so outlandish that gets to me much more than the masked villain. Granted, it is silly in parts, but the concept is very solid. It was him playing with different genres...for better or worse.

Which is why RZ's Halloween has left a bad taste whenever I view anything from the Halloween series. Trying to rationalize Myers-as-killer origin makes it blow/suck/ZJ ass. How one would ZJ ass is unquantifiable...which is why RZ deserves to ZJ ass until the sun dies.
    Last edited by Captain Russ; 09-02-2008, 03:26 PM.
    Me quick one want slow

Comment

OMG... the intro is too funny!
      "Can't really bench press anything when you're sporting less than an inch, it's common with Asian males... FUCK!" ~ nerdious

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter S. Thompson

Recipient of "The Best Post of the Day Award" : 1

Comment

Originally posted by McMeatbag View Post
        I wish I could go through a wormhole and watch They Live starring Kurt Russell. Just to see what it would've been like. I suspect there wouldn't be such a baroque alleyway brawl, complete with back body drops and the like.

I'd say Prince of Darkness was pretty fucking awesome. Sorry, but Satan hiding behind a mirror is more unnerving than Michael Myers. For some reason, it's Carpenter's ability to instill a fear of something so outlandish that gets to me much more than the masked villain. Granted, it is silly in parts, but the concept is very solid. It was him playing with different genres...for better or worse.

Which is why RZ's Halloween has left a bad taste whenever I view anything from the Halloween series. Trying to rationalize Myers-as-killer origin makes it blow/suck/ZJ ass. How one would ZJ ass is unquantifiable...which is why RZ deserves to ZJ ass until the sun dies.
        I fully agree with all of these points...except for Kurt in They Live. I just can't imagine it with anyone but Roddy. IT's just too over the top.

And I need to re-watch PoD one of these days. It's been too long.

And yes, Zombie's Halloween missed the mark so hard, it was ridiculous. Especially since he knows the fucking genre. I don't get it.
        "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

Oh don't get me wrong on the whole Roddy vs. Kurt issue. I just wanna hear the "your head looks like it fell in the cheese dip back in 1957" line as read by Jack Burton.

I just want another Jack Burton movie is what I guess I'm trying to say.
          Me quick one want slow

Comment

Who doesn't my friend, who doesn't.

Well maybe:
            "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

Mmmmm!
              "Can't really bench press anything when you're sporting less than an inch, it's common with Asian males... FUCK!" ~ nerdious

Comment

Prince of Darkness is a fun 80's horror movie. The Sci-fi undertones are pretty sweet. Not many movies successfully combine supernatural horror with science fiction. Interesting too in that it shares a lot of the same cast as Big Trouble in Little China.

I would love big budget sequel to BTiLC...

Comment

I think Carpenter's "good movie days" are behind him. Unless someone can prove me wrong that is.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
                    I think Carpenter's "good movie days" are behind him. Unless someone can prove me wrong that is.
                    Only J.C. himself can do that... And I'm sure there are some people who might even argue that he never had any "good movie days". I kinda liked his Masters of Horror entry "Cigarette Burns"... but yeah his follow up in season 2, which wasted Ron Perlman, was complete shit.

If I may plagiarize myself from another forum: "Carpenter's best movie, in the Mouth of Madness, is scarcely 10 years old if memory serves. And Vampires, Ghosts of Mars, and Escape From L.A. were pretty awesome in a large budget B movie sense, catering to audiences pleased by stuff like They Live, Big Trouble in Little China, and Escape from NY. All not necessarily "good movies" in an objective sense, but definitely entertaining... I think John Carpenter is a man who knows how to cater to his audience."

Comment

He must do as Alan Moore did when he was in a rut: take a lot of drugs. Like enough to kill an elephant. Or a T-Rex. Not the band, the dinosaur. That many drugs. And convert to the Wiccan religion.

Then we'll see what he can do.

And yes Matt, I'd agree that he knows his audience. I actually dug Ghosts of Mars. It knew what it was, I knew what it was, so I was happy with the result. It's a perfect Saturday-hangover-time movie. Though the Anthrax soundtrack sort of dampers the hangover aid it could be.

Shit...the only stuff of his I don't like in some fashion is his Masters of Horror stuff. But then, it was created by Mick "The Hack" Garris. And he can fuck right off.
                      Last edited by Captain Russ; 09-02-2008, 03:56 PM.
                      Me quick one want slow

Comment

Yeah, fuck Garris. But I do not agree with Vampires or Ghosts of Mars. Vampires was awesome for the first 10 mins and I love the Woods. He was great in that flick, but it brought nothing new to the table at all. Ghosts just sucked IMO. Boring, uninteresting drivel. And we should ressurect the Carpenter thread for all of this talk.

Comment

Ghosts did nothing new, Vampires as well. But one had Danny Baldwin cauterizing a wound with a gun barrel, an acting gig done by a stuntman (Padre), and one of the cooler Mark Boone Junior dismemberment scenes. So fuck yeah, Vampires is still a-okay. My hangover yesterday said as much.

Also: Much love for I'm Alan Partridge. Coogan is awesome in that role. Another Brit comedy that is pretty great: Peep Show. At least up until the 3rd series.
                          Last edited by Captain Russ; 09-02-2008, 04:36 PM.
                          Me quick one want slow

Comment

Fucking intro is great...a little sad (and happy) that I didn't get killed off. CJ is a voice actor waiting to be discovered.
                            Instagram: thepatronsaintofcheeseburgers

Comment

Originally posted by Big Brother View Post
                              Fucking intro is great...a little sad (and happy) that I didn't get killed off.
                              I feel your pain

Comment

Just wait guys. Everyone will get their turn.

Comment

Working...
                                X