A Nightmare on Elm Street series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Nightmare on Elm Street series

I have to admit up front that these movies are probably my favorite slasher flicks ever. Except for the original Halloween and a smattering of F13.

Let's take a trip into the boiler...

A Nightmare on Elm Street is set in the fictional Midwestern town of Springwood, Ohio. The plot revolves around several teenagers being terrorized in their nightmares by the ghost of a serial child murderer named Freddy Krueger. Right off the bat, it's a more interesting premise than Friday the 13th. Also has the distinction of being Johnny Depp's first role in a movie along with his first death scene. The movie still holds up today, minus the lame bit at the end with the mom being dragged through the window. I could have done without that and Wes wanted it to end on a happy note. No sequels. Plus, JOHN MOTHERFUCKING SAXON is in this. And he fought with Bruce Lee, so that automatically gives this movie some street cred.

Then came Freddy's Revenge. Which coincidentally was our first commentary we did. It's so bad it's almost good. Almost... For one it has probably the most in the closet lead character in a Nightmare film ever. Which is not a bad thing, but it gives that movie the biggest "WTF?" moments in the entire series. The sadistic/super gay coach is so over the top it's hilarious. Then we have the whole subtext of supressed homosexuality through out the movie.

From Wikipedia:

Film commentators often remark on the film's perceived homoerotic theme. Some people have argued that a subtext exists about Jesse's repressed homosexuality, and they point out the encounter that he has with his gym teacher in a bisexual S&M leather bar, and his flight to a hunky male friend's house after an aborted attempt of making out at his ostensible girlfriend's pool party. During the latter scene, Jesse, shirt unbuttoned, states that he's scared that "something is trying to get inside my body"; his shirtless friend replies, "Yeah, and she's female and waiting for you in the cabana, and you want to sleep with me." Director Jack Sholder claims that he never intended for there to be a gay subtext to the film, but has subsequently admitted that he does see it in the film, according to the "Nightmare Encyclopedia" included on the DVD box set. Mark Patton, the actor who portrays Jesse, is in fact gay.
    On top of all of that, the movie just doesn't make any sense. So now Freddy climbs out of teenagers? He enjoys pool parties? He bursts into flames? He controls hellhounds? WTF?! The most telling sign is that Wes Craven had no intention of ever creating a franchise and had nothing to do with the second one. It sullied the name of NOES for a bit there. Until...

NOES 3: Dream Warriors! This is probably my favorite flick out of the entire series. The deaths were inventive, they brought back Nancy, and it stars Larry Fishburne and Patricia Arquette. This one really takes the whole: " He uses your fears and kills you" and pushes it to the limit for the time. But on the same hand, starts with the sorta cheesy one liners. The idea behind the movie is a pretty decent one actually:

From IMDB:
    "Picking up where the original Nightmare left off, Nancy has grown up and become a psychiatrist specializing in dream therapy. She meets a group of children at a local hospital facing Freddy Krueger, the same demon she once encountered in her sleep. One of them is Kristen, who has the power to draw other people into her dreams. Working with a male doctor assigned to the case, Nancy helps the kids realize their special abilities within the nightmare world. When Freddy captures one of her charges, she leads a rescue attempt into Krueger's domain, in hopes of putting his spirit to rest once and for all"
    This one also introduced the drug "Hypnocil" which was used a major plot point in Freddy vs. Jason. And also Amanda Krueger, whose name you see on the tombstone at the end of the movie. If anything, the NOES series is known for it's inventive deaths and this one is no exception: Death by television, Death by puppet, death by heroin overdose (which doesn't sound crazy, but when your injection marks turn into tiny mouths you know it's going to be awesome), death by JOHN MOTHERFUCKING SAXON and attempted death by a giant freddy peni...I mean snake, yeah that's the ticket. This movie should have been the end of the NOES trilogy, but of course it made decent money. I bet that's because it had a theme song by DOKKEN!

Next we have...

A Nightmare on Elm Street
    40.00%
    NOES 2: Freddy's Revenge
    0.00%
    NOES 3: Dream Warriors
    50.00%
    NOES 4: The Dream Master
    0.00%
    NOES 6: The Dream Child
    0.00%
    Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare
    0.00%
    New Nightmare
    0.00%
    Freddy vs. Jason
    10.00%
    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Re: A Nightmare on Elm Street series

NOES 4: The Dream Master (this theme song is not even close to being as cool as DOKKEN!)

From IMDB:
    Following up the previous Nightmare film, dream demon Freddy Krueger is resurrected from his apparent demise, and rapidly tracks down and kills the remainder of the Elm Street kids. However, Kristen (who can draw others into her dreams) wills her special ability to her friend Alice. Alice soon realizes that Freddy is taking advantage of that unknown power to pull a new group of children into his foul domain
    The three remaining survivors from part 3, Kristin, Joey and Kincaid, are released from Westin Hills and are for all intensive purposes: normal kids. That is until Kincaid is killed by a junkyard, Joey is killed by a waterbed and Kristin knows something is rotten in Denmark. Honestly, this movie is so close to the third one I often mix up the deaths. Other noteable deaths in this one is a girl turns in to a roach who then dies after Freddy spouts "Once you check in, you never check out!". A girl dies from an extreme asthma attack essentially. There are others, but I don't really care. I'm not a huge fan of this one. This is where Freddy basically turns into a MTV spokesperson. When you could buy a NES game based on his wacky misadventures as a burned pedophile serial killer. Too many one liners, and the ending is fucking ridiculous. But it's not close to being as bad as....

The Dream Child is probably the worst film in the entire series.

From IMDB:
    Alice, having survived the previous installment of the Nightmare series, finds the deadly dreams of Freddy Krueger starting once again. This time, the taunting murderer is striking through the sleeping mind of Alice's unborn child. His intention is to be "born again" into the real world. The only one who can stop Freddy is his dead mother, but can Alice free her spirit in time to save her own son?
    Really?! He now invades the mind of an unborn kid? Really?! Fuck this movie. As ridiculous as the previous movies were, nothing beats Freddy reverting to a wierd burned infant thing. Fucking ridiculous. I'm not wasting any more words on this piece of shit.
    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

Next we have the awesomely bad: Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare You could not turn around in 1991 and not see a promo for this movie. It was like the second coming of Jesus. Especially being in junior high, we constantly talked about this flick. This was going to be the ultimate end for Freddy. Once and for all. It was not.....

From IMDB:
      In part six of the Nightmare on Elm Street series, dream monster Freddy Krueger has finally killed all the children of his hometown, and seeks to escape its confines to hunt fresh prey. To this end, he recruits the aid of his (previously unmentioned) daughter. However, she discovers the demonic origin of her father's powers and meets Dad head-on in a final showdown
      What can I say about this one. Cameos galore: Johnny Depp, Roseanne and Tom Arnold, Alice Cooper (as Freddy's step father) and it brought America the acting power of Breckin "RAT RACE" Meyer. At the time I fucking loved this movie. Because it was honestly like a living crazy cartoon. Wizard of Oz deaths, Nintendo deaths, "This is your brain on drugs!" , and the much hyped FINAL BATTLE IN 3-D. You know the kind, where they just point random weapons at the screen...OOH! We find out in this one that Freddy's power comes from the "dream demons" who continually revive him, and that Freddy can be killed if he's pulled into the real world. Pretty cool. Until you actually think about that. DREAM DEMONS! Although it did have my favorite part where they flashback to before he was burned. That was creepy. I'm still waiting for that movie. They need to make him scary again. He RAPES AND KILLS KIDS! Remind people of that and he's scary again. But all was not lost. During the credits we were treated to this: ENJOY

Years later Wes Craven decided to come back to the world he created with New Nightmare
      From IMDB:
      Ten years after A Nightmare on Elm Street became known as one of the scariest movies of all time, director Wes Craven is having nightmares and is using them to write a script for a seventh Elm Street film. He turns to Heather Langenkamp to ask if she will return to the screen one last time as Nancy. Heather turns the role down as she is happily married and has a son. Lately she has been recieving strange phone calls from someone that she believes to be Elm Street character Freddy Krueger(Englund). When her son Dylan starts acting strange and her husband is killed in a car crash she begins to realize that Freddy is real and is trying to get her and Dylan. Shes scared but she will do anything to protect her son, even if that means battle a razor fingered muderer who appears only in her dreams
      This one got all meta in your face! It's also one of my favorite entries in the series. While there were definately some missteps, this one works mostly and that's not just because JOHN MOTHERFUCKING SAXON is in it. Making Freddy real was a nice touch by Craven as this was his idea for part 3. It just sat on the backburner for a while. This one also attempted to change Freddy's appearance. And honestly, it was bad ass. Look at this and tell me he's not cool looking. This would be the last time we saw Freddy until....

Freddy vs. Jason

To be continued....

Comment

What can I say about this one. Cameos galore: Johnny Depp, Roseanne and Tom Arnold, Alice Cooper (as Freddy's step father) and it brought America the acting power of Breckin "RAT RACE" Meyer. At the time I fucking loved this movie. Because it was honestly like a living crazy cartoon. Wizard of Oz deaths, Nintendo deaths, "This is your brain on drugs!" , and the much hyped FINAL BATTLE IN 3-D. You know the kind, where they just point random weapons at the screen...OOH! We find out in this one that Freddy's power comes from the "dream demons" who continually revive him, and that Freddy can be killed if he's pulled into the real world. Pretty cool. Until you actually think about that. DREAM DEMONS! Although it did have my favorite part where they flashback to before he was burned. That was creepy. I'm still waiting for that movie. They need to make him scary again. He RAPES AND KILLS KIDS! Remind people of that and he's scary again. But all was not lost. During the credits we were treated to this: ENJOY
        Why do I think that the end credit sequence should be playing "Spoonman?"

Oh, and at least Meyer got his ass handed to him in a Nick Arcade fashion. That was just too awesome.

But of course, as with Friday the 13th, I voted for the original flavor. What can I say, he was actually a threat back then.

Me quick one want slow

Comment

I have seen all of these but it has been a long time. I have seen them way more than the Friday the 13th series. As I recall, the 3rd was my favorite, but you can't go wrong with the original.
          Touch it. Touch my fuzziness! It's like petting a kitten!
          Now drop the pants and take the bacon!
          POUTINE AND CELINE DION FOR EVERYONE!!!!

Comment

I totally agree with the first being the best (I saw it last year digitally projected when it played for one night up in the cities)and the scariest, but 3 just gets everything right. SOOOOO right... Plus...DOKKEN!

The guy rocks so hard he breaks through walls.

Comment

i less than three nightmare on elm street 3: dream warriors and wes craven's a new nightmare. those have to be the best in the series.

dream warriors is totally what i wish i could do when i was a kid; change myself to defeat my nightmares. i wasn't able to produce lucid dreams until later in my teen years. also, i love the parody that the simpsons did in their treehouse of horror episode nightmare on evergreen terrace.

the premise for a new nightmare was just too, too awesome. freddy was just freaking scary as hell in the movie.

damn you rob. this poll just makes me want to go out and buy the set now.
              The infamous Naruto pictures. SafAri.

Comment

You can probably get it super cheap. I got it for like 40 bucks at Best Buy last year. Watching Freddy's Dead in 3d was hilariously awesome. I hadn't seen it that way since I was in Junior High.

Comment

New Nightmare was ahead of it's time really. It's too bad not many people remember it or enjoy it. The scene where he comes out of the bed is so fucking badass. The only cheesy shit is when Nancy falls into the "dream world" or whatever. Otherwise, fantastic movie.

Comment

I'm curious to who voted for The Dream Master?

I'm thinking Cj may have, but I'm assuming he voted for part 3.

Comment

I went with the first. As much as I love the 3rd, the original still has the ability to scare the piss outta you when watched at night with the sound cranked.
                      Blog Time! http://plasticlovin.blogspot.com/

Reporter: "Is Ringo Starr the best drummer in the world?"
                      John Lennon: "Ringo isn't even the best drummer in The Beatles."

Forget it Viet, it's Hockentown. - Russ

Lord Hocken's gaze was that of the Green Horned Mindraper.

Comment

True that. But that ending...God, so fucking dumb.

Although you have got to love the whole "Home Alone" bit with the carpet nails, and lighbulb bombs. That's some inventive shit Nancy.

Comment

And will be pre-ordering this on Friday when I get paid...

Comment

Also, nevermind. Lesley just ordered it for me because she rocks.

Comment

Hmm I might need to check that DVD out.

Comment

Working...
                              X