2015 E3 thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Abraham Smashington View Post
    I don't buy into that shit, so it doesn't bother me. I like what I like. Fuck the world and their bullshit.

It's like I said before. I don't mind games, I just hate most of the fucking fans.

Especially after going through page after page of people fawning over nothing and then ignoring the actual big shit.

I can't think of any other section of the entertainment industry that routinely fucks over its base and still reaps amazing profits.
    My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

• enlighten us with the actual big shit
      "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

enlighten us with the actual big shit

Anything that wasn't a remake, a massively delayed entry, a limp wristed sequel, an announcement of a service that should've been at launch or general weird fan wankery.
        My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Comment

• Again, examples of those are in this thread. It's just that in this particular medium (much like film) people DEMAND new things but then they don't sell.
          "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

• That's why I'm a huge fan of the PS4. Their indie stuff is fucking amazing. And now that Xbox is finally releasing some good ones in that area, I'm excited too.

Comment

• Damn...250 for the RB4 complete bundle.... ooof.

Comment

Again, examples of those are in this thread. It's just that in this particular medium (much like film) people DEMAND new things but then they don't sell.

Again, not quite. Film has more room for breakthroughs. Film gets fucked in terms of coverage and advertising.

Gaming is very much top down manipulating a base into screaming for only what the most common taste is.

It's a snake eating its own tail, but the gaming fans are far more part of it than most realize. But, I feel like I'm starting to step into TED talk areas.

Comment

• So what are some examples of games you are excited for that fits into your criteria? I mean, I see what you're saying but I feel as if you're saying it wrong. You're dismissing giant chunks of video games/gamers because they're not "Artsy" enough/different yet you're chomping at the bit for the new fucking Batman game which is the same Batman game but prettier and with a car. Makes no sense.

Comment

• May or may not be for the same reasons as Anderson, but I've started to notice that I hate a lot of the people who are fans of stuff I am into or like, at least online wise. Gamers, comic nerds (especially Batman fans), and movie fans can be the worst. Maybe it's more of the Millennial branch (sorry Millennials) of these fandoms. I don't know.

Just Cause 3 looks fun. I should try Just Cause 2 again.
                    "With all the dick sucking and butt fucking jokes we make, this is the gayest thing ever posted on BDR. Even Howard cringed from behind his laptop playing Gilmore Girls." -BillyG

Comment

So what are some examples of games you are excited for that fits into your criteria? I mean, I see what you're saying but I feel as if you're saying it wrong. You're dismissing giant chunks of video games/gamers because they're not "Artsy" enough/different yet you're chomping at the bit for the new fucking Batman game which is the same Batman game but prettier and with a car. Makes no sense.

That's part of the issue too and I'll admit I feed it into by being so casual. I'll follow an IP if it's based on something I like outside of gaming without any concern of its overall impact to the field.

Reasons:

1) Video Games Aren't Art.
                      2) Working tangentially with VG press and companies has left me with nothing but disregard for these people. If they weren't making video games, they'd be making cars.
                      3) The avenues to find new gaming that matters and stands as quality are incredibly narrow due to the archaic restrictions on gaming.

A lot of what hampers gaming from going into crazy new areas is a mix of tech and perception. If you could actively stream games and not experience a drop in quality, then perception would shift wide. Hell, look at the Netflix Effect on reality television. If you don't know what I mean, google it.

But, going back to my point. Gaming is hampered by the things that allow it to grow. It's a fixed product manipulated by a few major studios who still exert an insane amount of control over any and all indie developers. Prices are fixed, retail and e-commerce options are fixed, yet no one fights...legally.

Relevance and aesthetic value don't matter when your entertainment becomes a commodity that is controlled to a degree that borders on 19th century mercantilism. What about the outside market that could shift perception? Well, I view myself as that border gray group that could shift.

But, I don't have any reason to do that. Between the repeated black eyes taking online over the last 2 years, the constant date jumps, the inconsistent standards between platforms and zero fucking lack of approach to the outside world...there's no real reason for the average person to give a flying fuck about gaming.

Hell, I'm excited as shit for Rebellion, but having it be so online driven makes me antsy. Mainly, because I know that EA is unreliable as fuck when it comes to online components. Second, I don't want to play with random people online. I find most of them to be inane shits and I couldn't imagine what they would be like if I was that much different than them or dropped below a certain playing standard.

Then, there's the constant console wars. What was cute 20-25 years ago has become fucking stupid from a business perspective. You know why it went from Nintendo to casual PC? Because, people don't want to buy 3 overpriced plastic boxes just to play what they want. Hell, I really want to play certain games on WiiU and I could get one at cost. But, I won't invest in another money trap that doesn't do shit accept once or twice a year.

The constant fuckening of an industry that charges you every 5 years for the same shit three different times DOESN'T MAKE SENSE. Maybe it's age or something else, but I have no desire to keep up with the bullshit outside of a few things to catch my eye.

That being said...Fallout 4. Amirite?

Comment

• Originally posted by Anderson View Post
                        That's part of the issue too and I'll admit I feed it into by being so casual. I'll follow an IP if it's based on something I like outside of gaming without any concern of its overall impact to the field.

Reasons:

1) Video Games Aren't Art. -
                        I agree. They haven't yet hit that mark. Jonathan Blow can fuck off.

A lot of what hampers gaming from going into crazy new areas is a mix of tech and perception. If you could actively stream games and not experience a drop in quality, then perception would shift wide. Hell, look at the Netflix Effect on reality television. If you don't know what I mean, google it. This won't happen until we get fiber everywhere. This isn't anything to do with the people making games. Blame the government that lets Comcast run everything with an iron fist.

But, going back to my point. Gaming is hampered by the things that allow it to grow. It's a fixed product manipulated by a few major studios who still exert an insane amount of control over any and all indie developers. Prices are fixed, retail and e-commerce options are fixed, yet no one fights...legally.
                        Can't argue this. Also why I'm big on donating directly to the developers and bypassing the publishers if possible
                        Relevance and aesthetic value don't matter when your entertainment becomes a commodity that is controlled to a degree that borders on 19th century mercantilism. What about the outside market that could shift perception? Well, I view myself as that border gray group that could shift.

But, I don't have any reason to do that. Between the repeated black eyes taking online over the last 2 years, the constant date jumps, the inconsistent standards between platforms and zero fucking lack of approach to the outside world...there's no real reason for the average person to give a flying fuck about gaming.
                        Fair, but why go after the average person? If they don't seem to give a fuck, fuck em.
                        Hell, I'm excited as shit for Rebellion, but having it be so online driven makes me antsy. Mainly, because I know that EA is unreliable as fuck when it comes to online components. Second, I don't want to play with random people online. I find most of them to be inane shits and I couldn't imagine what they would be like if I was that much different than them or dropped below a certain playing standard.
                        Not touching this game until all reviews are in. No fucking way.
                        Then, there's the constant console wars. What was cute 20-25 years ago has become fucking stupid from a business perspective. You know why it went from Nintendo to casual PC? Because, people don't want to buy 3 overpriced plastic boxes just to play what they want. Hell, I really want to play certain games on WiiU and I could get one at cost. But, I won't invest in another money trap that doesn't do shit accept once or twice a year.
                        Spoken like someone who isn't a gamer. I'm that guy that buys all systems. I also find certain things about each system that I really dig. My Wii U has paid off with the amount of time I've sunken in to the new Mario games,Splatoon, and DK games. Yeah I'm not going to say this system is better than the others, because it's not. But it is better where it counts. In it's flagship games. Nintendo hasn't yet every experienced a massive outage, or bugs, or crashes with their new games. They are always polished as fuck. You can't say the same for every main game from XBox or PS4.

That being said...Fallout 4. Amirite? Fallout 4 is gonna be the shit. Either you're on board or not, but you can't hate the fact that a high selling game has another entry, especially when the other entries have been stellar (EXCEPT YOU NEW VEGAS. FUCK YOU)
                        The way you feel about the Oscars, or box office , or whatever else happens in movies is the same way I feel about E3 and games. There is bad shit in both but what's the point of focusing on the bad. I'd rather fucking game and have fun.

Comment

The way you feel about the Oscars, or box office , or whatever else happens in movies is the same way I feel about E3 and games. There is bad shit in both but what's the point of focusing on the bad. I'd rather fucking game and have fun.

My views on the Oscars are from a historical standpoint. The Box Office is something I can go either way on.

I'm actually onboard with Fallout 4 as it seems to fix the issues I had with Fallout 3. Which while being an RPG, I still 1000'd plus the DLC.

But, the whole you're not a gamer argument has no merit anymore. The burden is on the gaming community to prove why it still matters to be a gamer.

Comment

• why should they have to? Do people make you prove why you like movies? I'm so confused by your indignation.

Comment

• <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FOr0BY3-uhk?list=PLsiJPoHlPqEGKzKWWvpIgPkMRnIvmB1UV" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comment

• hated the last one since it was a huge step down from the first one, but I'm optimistic they learned from their mistakes.

Comment

Working...
                                X