Back to the Future 2: You're All Insane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where's Matt? I'm feeling combative.
    My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

right here.
      Originally posted by Martin
      Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
      Originally posted by gravedigger
      Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
      And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
      Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

Originally posted by Anderson View Post
        Where's Matt? I'm feeling combative.
        Probably in the alternate world where fun is bad.
        "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

for the record, I saw this in the theater with a crowd that really hated it.
          I saw it a few times on VHS in the early 90s when we'd marathon all of the films.
          I hadn't seen the film in at least 12-15 years when I saw it again last November (along with BttF3).

Seriously, guys...it sucks.
          Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
            for the record, I saw this in the theater with a crowd that really hated it.
            I saw it a few times on VHS in the early 90s when we'd marathon all of the films.
            I hadn't seen the film in at least 12-15 years when I saw it again last November (along with BttF3).

Seriously, guys...it sucks.

No, it's the central piece of the most intricate American film trilogy of the last 40 years. You're like Pauline Kael shitting on Empire for not being standalone.
            My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Comment

1 and 3 are cohesive movies where the STORY and the CHARACTERS matter. 2 is all about the gimmicks, STORY and CHARACTER be damned. It's the first Zemeckis film to get overwhelmed by technology, and it suffers because of it.

Comment

And I could care less that it doesn't stand alone. It's simply not a quality film.

Comment

Matt has been banned.
                  Me quick one want slow

Comment

I admit, I laugh when Marty tries to pick up clothes that are "50s appropriate".
                    "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
                      1 and 3 are cohesive movies where the STORY and the CHARACTERS matter. 2 is all about the gimmicks, STORY and CHARACTER be damned. It's the first Zemeckis film to get overwhelmed by technology, and it suffers because of it.

Not really. If you're going to make the argument about Zemeckis overdoing it with tech, that goes to Roger Rabbit. But, like Roger Rabbit...it's a tool and not the story.

With the structure of 2, it has to exist to facilitate the direction of the trilogy. If you've ever had to chance to read Gale and Zemeckis's original drafts for 2 and 3....you can see the bitch of a time they had in laying everything.

A trilogy in the truest sense where every action, plot advancement, character motivation and literary structure was planned to co-exist among three films in development from 1981 to the final film's release in 1990.

It all matters. You can't have 3 without 2. You can't have the trilogy without all the pieces.

Comment

Few popcorn films can touch the original, so BTTF2 had little chance (anyone claiming 3 is the best chapter is on cheap crack), but at least they tried something interesting. When I was a kid I LOVED the future - now I think its awful. But our time there is thankfully brief and then the rest of the film is the goods for me.

Grim, Biff-run 85 is surprisingly fun and the final 20-30 minutes might be the most intricate plotting of the series. Its the best sci-fi film of the bunch, tackling paradoxes to keep the nerds happy before getting on with having fun in part 3.

Seriously, once we get out of the future (and I agree, nearly every aspect of the future is dreadful, form the character makeup down - though the kid in me still loves the flying cars and the hoverboards) its not that bad, Matt.
                        I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Thomas View Post
                          ...the final 20-30 minutes might be the most intricate plotting of the series. Its the best sci-fi film of the bunch, tackling paradoxes to keep the nerds happy before getting on with having fun in part 3.
                          Agreed 100% here. Like I said, the wild finale of BttF2 is really, really well done. It's choreographed really well and is fairly entertaining. It kinda belongs in a different film...the rest (especially the future) is indefensible.

Comment

Beginning to think Matt's trolling. Seriously I just don't see the hate. Like at all.
                            "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Hocken View Post
                              Speaking of that, I would have enjoyed seeing Reagan show up as the mayor of 1885 Hill Valley. Never came to pass.
                              It's funny that both Zemeckis/Gale and the Simpsons staff during the early 90s got letters from Reagan saying, "Thanks, but no thanks" and it turned out he actually did write a lot of those letters himself.

My sister wrote him a letter when she was around 5-6-ish and got one back which also may, or may not, have been written by Reagan himself.
                              Originally posted by Ari
                              The only thing I want to tell her vagina is nomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom

Comment

Originally posted by Anderson View Post
                                With the structure of 2, it has to exist to facilitate the direction of the trilogy. If you've ever had to chance to read Gale and Zemeckis's original drafts for 2 and 3....you can see the bitch of a time they had in laying everything.

A trilogy in the truest sense where every action, plot advancement, character motivation and literary structure was planned to co-exist among three films in development from 1981 to the final film's release in 1990.

It all matters. You can't have 3 without 2. You can't have the trilogy without all the pieces.
                                I GET all of that...really, I do. I understand that they needed part 2 to go in that kind of direction. On paper, it sounds great...it's just incredibly poorly executed in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                                X