Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Sandwich Thread For Sandwich Whores...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A sammitch am a sammitch...

Comment

Currently in a debate with LintLicker on this very subject here at work.
      "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

If the store calls them hoagies, call it a hoagie. If they sell subs, call it a sub. Let the other person be your guide and there shouldn't be a problem.
        "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

Originally posted by Abraham Smashington View Post
          Is it wrong that I call all food concoctions that have bread, meats, lettuce, etc, and are easily eatable with only your hands, sandwiches?

A sub, hoagie, pb&j, grinder = sandwiches

Agreed, all=sandwiches. Lintlicker is attempting to make an argument. However he has forgotten his password....to bad...
          I LOVE BEER !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Hocken View Post
            If the store calls them hoagies, call it a hoagie. If they sell subs, call it a sub. Let the other person be your guide and there shouldn't be a problem. I am a lemming. Lead me off that cliff, sandwich seller!
            repaired...

Comment

fucking lulz
              "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

So if I go to a joint called "Hoagies and Wings", I've got be that guy and say "Give me a grinder". Why should I go against the grain? Aren't there better ways of saying FU to society?

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Hocken View Post
                  So if I go to a joint called "Hoagies and Wings", I've got be that guy and say "Give me a grinder". Why should I go against the grain? Aren't there better ways of saying FU to society?
                  Once again, Ed... you cease to amaze me.

If the menu board says '#12 Monte Cristo Sandwich', are you actually going to verbalize the whole thing?

No.

You say 'I'll take the #12 with a side of wings and a fifth of anything, my good man!'.

Comment

Well yeah, there's a number on it. I wouldn't go to Vietamese joint and butcher the name. I will use what's most accessible to achieve the objectives I need.

Then there's always just pointing to the photo and yell "WANT!"

Comment

Suck it Trebek

Is it wrong that I call all food concoctions that have bread, meats, lettuce, etc, and are easily eatable with only your hands, sandwiches?

A sub, hoagie, pb&j, grinder = sandwiches
                      Indeed, subs are sandwiches. The set of submarine sandwiches is a sub-set of sandwiches, which is a sub-set of hand-held food, which is a sub-set of food, etc. The point is that we should identify an object with enough precision that its meaning is understood in context. When you say sandwich you could mean a traditional english sandwich, a submarine sandwich, and open-faced sandwich, a panino, a grilled-cheese sandwich, a sloppy joe, an ice cream sandwich, etc.

Take another example - someone tells you that their vehicle is in the shop. Most people would assume that this meant a car or maybe a truck\SUV. They would then make secondary assumptions based on the first as to the potential nature of the work, the cost, and its impact on the owner. Indeed the vehicle turns out to be a scooter used only for recreation and is cheap to repair which makes these assumptions incorrect.

Language is a convoluted and inexact method of conveying thoughts and ideas. We should endeavor to be precise.
                      Last edited by LintLicker; 03-25-2011, 02:44 PM. Reason: your mom
                      Sticky white or pale yellow discharge can be constant during pregnancy, leaving you feeling in frequent need of new undies. Talk to your doctor if it develops a foul odor, itches or burns, or becomes greenish-yellow or very thick or watery; you may have an infection.

Comment

WE HAVE A NEW NERDIOUS FOLKS.

Comment

Originally posted by LintLicker View Post
                          Indeed, subs are sandwiches. The set of submarine sandwiches is a sub-set of sandwiches, which is a sub-set of hand-held food, which is a sub-set of food, etc. The point is that we should identify an object with enough precision that its meaning is understood in context. When you say sandwich you could mean a traditional english sandwich, a submarine sandwich, and open-faced sandwich, a panino, a grilled-cheese sandwich, a sloppy joe, an ice cream sandwich, etc.

Take another example - someone tells you that their vehicle is in the shop. Most people would assume that this meant a car or maybe a truck\SUV. They would then make secondary assumptions based on the first as to the potential nature of the work, the cost, and its impact on the owner. Indeed the vehicle turns out to be a scooter used only for recreation and is cheap to repair which makes these assumptions incorrect.

Language is a convoluted and inexact method of conveying thoughts and ideas. We should endeavor to be precise.
                          WOW....ONLY YOU
                          I LOVE BEER !!!

Comment

LintLicker I DUB THEE KING PRETENTIOUS OF BDR!!!

WE HAVE A NEW NERDIOUS FOLKS.

FO REALZ
                            "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

King Pretentious? The man used logic to construct his argument!

Well done, sir! Spock approves!

Comment

Logical arguments about sandwiches. Next you'll tell me this isn't hockentown.
                                "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

Working...
                                X