The Great Hullabaloo: BOOKS.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• currently reading Brian Keene's newest: A Gathering of Crows

Not too shabby. Certainly not his best, at least yet, but I'm digging that he brought back Levi Stolfhous and I really dig what he's doing with "The Labyrinth" right now. Like his other books it's a pretty quick read.
    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Waitaminute. I've lost track of Keene a bit. I have The Rising and it's sequel, and Conqueror Worm. Loved it, but Ghoul was baaaad.

What's with Labyrinth? Is that his project of linking all his books?
      BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• Yeah, it's like his Dark Tower or whatever. It's slowly coming together. It was mentioned in a few of his books, but it seems to be more in the latest. Ghoul wasn't horrible, but it seemed more of a "I REALLY WANT TO BE STEPHEN KING" then a good read.
        "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

• Just finished it. Not his worst (Castaways would be his worst. I still haven't finished that) and certainly not his best. The only redeeming factor in this book is the expansion on the Labyrinth and the way it ends.

Spoiler: spoilers 
          Levi taking the Revenants to Behemoth's world was pretty fucking great. Everything about the Labyrinth's other worlds was pretty awesome as well

Otherwise this whole book felt like a cool idea (expanding and fleshing out how the books are linked together) that was stretched to a novel. None of the characters did anything for me, minus Levi (and only because of his involvement in both Dark Hollow and Ghost Walk).

Comment

• Rob (or anyone), ever read The Lies of Locke Lamora?

Comment

• I keep hearing good stuff about it. I'll probably pull the trigger on it soon once I'm done with all this other shit.
              "Here, young man, your hormones are raging. Let's go in this bedroom, and we'll engage in some homosexual acts. You'll find you like it." - Rep. Ken Peterson, R-Billings

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one." - Don Draper

~
              *RATED BEST POSTER OF 2011 - CHIPOTLE FAN FORUMS*~

Comment

• I've read it. *Still* waiting for the third book.
                We are so accustomed to disguise ourselves to others that in the end we become disguised to ourselves.
                - Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• Originally posted by Vault Vanderhuge View Post
                  I keep hearing good stuff about it. I'll probably pull the trigger on it soon once I'm done with all this other shit.
                  Mix a kinda Italian Renaissance setting in fantasy world, and Ocean's 11.

It's my favorite book of the genre with the Malazan books. I've pimped to to death.

And Howard, Lynch had a depression. I'd rather have him deal with it than him dying! And the books are stand alone as well, so there's that.

Comment

• one thing i miss about being in the U.S. books,comics,video games and EVERYTHING you could get wayy cheaper than here.
                    i'm low on graphic novels....nooooooooo!!!!!!!

Comment

• Has anyone read The Boys?

Comment

• Yep.

It's retarded. In a good way.
                        Me quick one want slow

Comment

• awesome.

Comment

• And if you haven't picked it up yet, get I Kill Giants. Sofa king good.
                            Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Originally posted by Corey Feldman View Post
                              Reading a graphic novel called "Black Hole" right now. Some pretty fucked up shit actually. Like really fucked up.
                              Started this over (as I got side tracked) last week. Finished it last night. Goddamn. This book was pretty fucking great. The art was amazing and the story was completely fucked up. In the best possible way.

Just got the "Making of Empire Strikes Back" in the mail today. YES. This book is fucking amazing.

Comment

• Started rereading Blood Meridian, flipped through some Gustave Dore prints, and just finished the first volume of Charles Burns' new joint X'ed Out. Absurd, dark, and already off to a rollicking start down memory lane*.

*the protagonist is an amnesiac
                                Me quick one want slow

Comment

Working...
                                X