Random Shit Dealing With Comics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Timothy225 View Post
    Shit, I dimly recall a brief moment in time when the Beast was allegedly gay. Iceman possibly being gay was hinted at as well. Felt more like Marvel running said ideas up the flagpole, seeing if anyone saluted, since having Northstar coming out in Alpha Flight worked so well.
    The Beast being gay was an off the cuff remark during his second mutation in the Morrison era.

It was something like he didn't know if he was gay, straight or human anymore. It was more of a statement that he was losing his humanity.

Now, Hercules of the Avengers was implied to have fucked a teenage boy.
    My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

• How Greek of him.
      Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain Russ View Post
        How Greek of him.

That was the context.
        My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Comment

• Having just finished The Black Vortex crossover and the Iceman is gay issue Epilogue, there's something really off putting connection the revelation.

During the Black Vortex, time displaced Bobby got cosmic powers. At the end of Black Vortex, there was a condition that you could return the powers but be changed by the experience.

So, is Marvel saying that the Black Vortex turned him gay? Bendis seems to try to swerve around it with Angel's explanation of keeping his powers, but the inverse effect is still there.

Which is really sad, because these were two good issues.

Especially because Star Lord and Kitty Pryde got engaged at the end of the Black Vortex and it was the first big moment that Kitty got since Whedon started fucking with her back in 2005.

Comment

How Greek of him.
            Must spread rep (not young boys' cheeks), blah blah. . . .
            I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Comment

• Secret Wars #1 was so damn good.

Comment

• You know who never gets enough love?

Hank Ketcham.

Bought a bunch of the collected Dennis the Menace books last week and can't stop trying to draw with that sort of line. Confident, deceptively simple, and fucking on point every single time out of the gate.
                Me quick one want slow

Comment

You know who never gets enough love?

Hank Ketcham.

Bought a bunch of the collected Dennis the Menace books last week and can't stop trying to draw with that sort of line. Confident, deceptively simple, and fucking on point every single time out of the gate.

I never got that deep into comic strip work. I dig Eisner (of course), Caniff and a few others.

Still, there's something to be said for the comedic talents.

Comment

• Since it was more of kids comic than anything else, I feel Ketcham gets overlooked. But he has that same natural sensibility to his compositions (mostly in the acting of his characters) that Rockwell also exhibited.

And yeah, Milt was an incredible talent that most don't know about or just don't take the time to study.

Noel Sickles was also criminally underrated though a few modern guys are trying to bring his name back into the fold (and rightly so).
                    Last edited by Captain Russ; 05-06-2015, 08:46 PM.
                    Me quick one want slow

Comment

Since it was more of kids comic than anything else, I feel Ketcham gets overlooked. But he has that same natural sensibility to his compositions (mostly in the acting of his characters) that Rockwell also exhibited.

And yeah, Milt was an incredible talent that most don't know about or just don't take the time to study.

Noel Sickles was also criminally underrated though a few modern guys are trying to bring his name back into the fold (and rightly so).

I dig that. But, I guess my brain is so hardwired on a certain style that it's hard to break.

Comment

• Huge fan of Hal Foster's work on Prince Valiant. When I was a student at the Joe Kubert School, there used to be original strip artwork on display in the hallways near Joe's office. Seen up close, the line work Foster used was incredible and fascinating to figure out how he drew everything. Also saw some Foster work done in silver point, where the silver he drew with changed to a brownish color as time passed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy225 View Post
                          Huge fan of Hal Foster's work on Prince Valiant. When I was a student at the Joe Kubert School, there used to be original strip artwork on display in the hallways near Joe's office. Seen up close, the line work Foster used was incredible and fascinating to figure out how he drew everything. Also saw some Foster work done in silver point, where the silver he drew with changed to a brownish color as time passed.
                          I keep forgetting that you went to Kubert School. I was on a teleconference call a few weeks ago with his granddaughter. Cool lady.

Comment

• Never graduated, though. Four years of high school followed by four years of college with summer jobs (not just Six Flags, folks!), freelance, work, etc. without a break. When I hit Kubert's, I lasted for one semester before I burned out. I eventually took night courses taught by folks like Mike Chen and Lee Weeks. Even had a great portfolio review by Tom DeFalco.

Then the 90s happened and the comics industry went kerflooey. Wound up working on advertising in local magazines, and the rest is history.

Still draw comic/sci-fi/fantasy stuff on occasion, though!

Last edited by Timothy225; 05-07-2015, 07:02 PM.

Comment

• http://www.orlandoweekly.com/imager/..._hard-10452jpg

HAAAAAAANNNSE!
                              I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Comment

• If you only knew how long it took me to find some decent reference for that pic, Ig. Internet had a piddling few pics to work from.

Comment

Working...
                                X