Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nu DC Universe: Week One

Thoughts?

I have to say that Detective Comics #1 is one of the worst Batman comics that I've ever read.

Action Comics and Animal Man were the best.

Batgirl was good, but it needs to improve.

The rest were meh.
    My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Yeah, dude I know has been raving at the unexpected joy he received from Animal Man.

Comment

Originally posted by BillyG View Post
      Yeah, dude I know has been raving at the unexpected joy he received from Animal Man.

It's solid as fuck. It's the first time since Grant Morrison left that the character has been really worth a shit.

Plus, it's natural progression. That concept seems to boggle minds in the comic world, but it just makes sense.
      My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Comment

Trying to get my hands on a copy of Action, but local book store doesn't have it.
        Originally posted by Ari
        The only thing I want to tell her vagina is nomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom

Comment

Originally posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
          Trying to get my hands on a copy of Action, but local book store doesn't have it.

Grant Morrison found a way to make the Superman of 1938 work in the modern era. He also did it in 1 issue.

Comment

Now you're just being a tease. You cunt.
            Originally posted by Ari

Comment

Now you're just being a tease. You cunt.

It's weird trying to explain it, but Morrison has proven that he knows Superman. All-Star Superman should've confirmed it, but this is tipping the fact that Morrison is THE Superman writer.

There's elements of Ditko's Spidey, the Charlton characters, Golden Age Captain Marvel and Morrison's usual stuff. But, it's the Golden Age Superman for the modern era. A cocky fuck that's not quite yet Kryptonian Sun God, but he knows that he has the means to fix the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Anderson View Post
                Grant Morrison found a way to make the Superman of 1938 work in the modern era. He also did it in 1 issue.
                That bodes great for The Man of Stee--oh wait. David Goyer is writing it.
                Originally posted by Ari

Comment

Originally posted by Anderson View Post
                  It's weird trying to explain it, but Morrison has proven that he knows Superman. All-Star Superman should've confirmed it, but this is tipping the fact that Morrison is THE Superman writer.
                  His JLA run too.
                  Originally posted by Ari

Comment

His JLA run too.

His JLA run was warm-up. It just doesn't compare.

Comment

I'll give you that.

Curious how Kryptonian armor will work out.
                      Originally posted by Ari

Comment

Detective was nothing special, but what the fuck was up with the end?

I dug Action. Superman bleeding profusely from the ears while trying to stop a speeding train?

Yes please.
                        Blog Time! http://plasticlovin.blogspot.com/

Reporter: "Is Ringo Starr the best drummer in the world?"
                        John Lennon: "Ringo isn't even the best drummer in The Beatles."

Forget it Viet, it's Hockentown. - Russ

Lord Hocken's gaze was that of the Green Horned Mindraper.

Comment

Originally posted by Ari View Post
                          Detective was nothing special, but what the fuck was up with the end?

I dug Action. Superman bleeding profusely from the ears while trying to stop a speeding train?

Yes please.

What I don't get is the weird sort of chronology they're using for Nu Supes.

Basically, Action Comics will be Year 1 Supes under Morrison to set everything up.

Perez's Supes and Justice League will be months to a year later Supes.

Comment

While I was out of town to see Warrior and Drive, stopped by the local Books a Million and comics shop. No Action Comics #1. Fuck, they don't want me to read that book, do they?
                            Originally posted by Ari

Comment

You can get any of the books you may have missed on comixology.com. Action #1 is pretty great, especially if you dig the Golden Age Superman. It's surprising they were able to capture the same spirit of those early books. Not totally surprising though, since Morrison sets up meticulous timelines for each character in his own head, based on both their actual issue chronologies and fictional history. So, to Morrison, the Golden Age wouldn't be something to throw out as old or retconned, it's a stage to mine origin stories from and think of as a developmental period. In comic geek terms, it's like mashing the Earth Prime and Earth 2 Superman's (and maybe a couple others) together and making them into one. If that make sense.

They show a great deal of restraint re-introducing the mythology, and not blowing their creative load like Byrne did with the MOS mini series in the 80's. I'd argue that was one of the primary reasons Post-Crisis Supes never found proper footing, since so much of the great characters and stories were hogged by Byrne and thrown away on small self-contained issues. Or huge pieces (Kandor!) were thrown out altogether, only to be reintroduced in horrible ways much later. Hopefully that won't be the case with this new version.

So, you know, it's pretty good!

Comment

Working...
                              X