Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Greatest Moments in Superhero Comics (Catch-All Thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Greatest Moments in Superhero Comics (Catch-All Thread)

I want you all to celebrate my love of one of the true American artforms.

Let's talk about the times where people smacked each other with Chromium covers and shit. Use this thread to nominate and discuss. I'll produce another one to actually list. Hopefully, it'll generate some front page material for Rerb to mock.
    My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

So freaking many to choose from...

1) The death of the Green Goblin - very powerful moment, especially after the death of Gwen Stacy the issue before. Arguably the event that ended the Silver Age of comics, IMHO, Marvel sucked all the gravitas out of the event when they brought Norman Osborn back from the dead (healing factor, my ass!).

2) The death of the Flash during Crisis on Infinite Earths - another powerful moment, Barry Allen goes out as a hero, pushing his powers to the limit and beyond. DC brought him back as well, and again, kind of sucks as it lessens the impact of the original moment.

Comment

3) Batman takes out Guy Gardner with one punch - Guy Gardner had been challenging Batman's leadership of the Justice League since Day One. Batman finally tires of him and drops DC's biggest loud mouth with one punch. Green Lantern rings don't mean shit if you piss off the Dark Knight.

My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Comment

As cliched as this is (I'm not as knowledgeable as you guys in regards to comics) the death of Robin fucked me up as a kid. Shit was brutal to me.

"Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

4) Ares uses Wonder Man to steal car in New Jersey -

Comment

The first death of Jean Grey (and her subsequent return as Phoenix).

Kraven's last Hunt

Mutant Massacre (death of Angel) and Fall of the Mutants (death of Cypher)
            We are so accustomed to disguise ourselves to others that in the end we become disguised to ourselves.
            - Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Howard View Post
              The first death of Jean Grey (and her subsequent return as Phoenix).

Kraven's last Hunt

Mutant Massacre (death of Angel) and Fall of the Mutants (death of Cypher)

Cypher's back now due to the Black Queen. But, he's actually cool now. Really, really cool. The current New Mutants arc is about him coming to terms with how he died and his connection to Warlock brought him back.

Comment

Ultimately, that's what had driven me away from comics (in general). The modern idea of bringing back dead characters rather than creating new ones. Really lessens the emotional impact of a characters death.
                We are so accustomed to disguise ourselves to others that in the end we become disguised to ourselves.

Comment

Another great moment? Taking Storm's powers away. Probably the best thing they did to her character.

Comment

The first major reveal in the Runaways.
                    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

Another great moment? Taking Storm's powers away. Probably the best thing they did to her character.

She's married to the Black Panther and she's an Avenger now.

Comment

Ultimately, that's what had driven me away from comics (in general). The modern idea of bringing back dead characters rather than creating new ones. Really lessens the emotional impact of a characters death.

I used to be really hung up on it, but I'm a fan when it works.

While Doug Ramsey had a damn good death in the comics and the issues dealing with the team griefing are out of this world, the return works.

Seriously, Doug's funeral was one of the first three X-comics I ever read. Something about Warlock holding up Doug's corpse to make his friends feel better still feels creepy.

Comment

I just flipped through this issue and I totally forgot about Magneto having to lie to Doug's parents about how he died. Really sad in a way.

Comment

Originally posted by Anderson View Post
                            She's married to the Black Panther and she's an Avenger now.
                            Yeah, I occasionally will read wikis to keep a little up-to-date on characters. I always hoped that she would end up with Forge.

Originally posted by Anderson View Post
                            I used to be really hung up on it, but I'm a fan when it works.

While Doug Ramsey had a damn good death in the comics and the issues dealing with the team griefing are out of this world, the return works.

Seriously, Doug's funeral was one of the first three X-comics I ever read. Something about Warlock holding up Doug's corpse to make his friends feel better still feels creepy.
                            It really was a good death (feels weird calling a death good). But it in the context of the New Mutants, it was a defining moment. And agreed on Warlock holding up Doug's corpse. Just an all around well-written storyline.

Comment

Loved this page from the Avengers a few years back. The Avengers just got done destroying an army of Ultrons, only to bring the thunder to Ultron himself.

"Ultron. We would have words with thee."

Comment

Working...
                              X