Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Emmanuelle Movie Did You Just Watch?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X3 is not that bad. Especially with the history behind it.
    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• I'll say this: it's better than Fantastic Four. And Wolverine (the first). I can see why you like it, but tehre's so muh shit in it (it's the Wolverine-Storm show, featuring the rest). Also, they really painted themselves in the corner with the cure and killing Professor X.
      BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN- well, I was mostly wrong about this one. I still hate the costume and I feel cheated I never got a Dylan Baker Lizard but I rather liked this. I didn't like Garfield's stuttering/stammering take on Parker but this Spider-Man is much better. And I kind of assumed from the trailers that the Lizard was going to be a mindless beast but he wasn't! I'm honestly more excited for the sequel now that I gave this a chance.

Comment

• THE WOLF OF WALL STREET

We did have a walkout about 2 hours into it (a younger couple, surprisingly). All of the older couples around us were very into it, laughing appropriately. Indeed, the couple in their 70s behind me were raving about the film afterwards. It may be polarizing, but don't assume that it's the old people that are having all of the issues.

But yeah...wow. Great acting, great direction, great dialog, all amounting to a very entertaining film that I never want or need to see again.
          Originally posted by Martin
          Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
          Originally posted by gravedigger
          Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
          And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
          Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt View Post
            all amounting to a very entertaining film that I never want or need to see again.
            Can you elaborate?
            Touch it. Touch my fuzziness! It's like petting a kitten!
            Now drop the pants and take the bacon!
            POUTINE AND CELINE DION FOR EVERYONE!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Nathan View Post
              Can you elaborate?
              I felt robbed of 'a point' to the film. It's an entertaining journey that never really reaches a destination, and I found that to be upsetting.

Also, as entertaining as the film is, it's also extremely excessive. This could have been edited down to a 2 hour movie without much effort, as a lot of what's in there doesn't drive the story forward but merely shows yet ANOTHER instance of debauchery.

Also also, there aren't ANY sympathetic characters in the film. NONE. Everyone's a douchebag, and I don't know if I ever want to spend any more time with these characters again. It's not a moral stance, it's just a personal preference.
              Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.

Comment

• It's relentless in its misanthropy and it's part of why I loved it.

Comment

• The Act of Killing

Probably the best film I've seen in years. Just astonishing.

Don't let the subject matter put you off - this is not a graphic or shocking film, in a visual sense. The horror comes from seeing the non-chalant attitudes of these unrepentant murderers and their ignorance of the significance of the situations they are asking people to reenact with them. When that is then shown back to them, the reactions are across the board amazing. Give it five minutes and it will have you and it will keep changing up until it finishes. An amazing, necessary film.

I also saw Stories We Tell, which uses a much more complex technique to get to much more simple conclusions. It's really good, don't get me wrong, but it didn't blow me away.
                  I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane.

Comment

• RE: Werewolf Bar Mitzvah of Wall Street

The entire thing is largely how Jordan perceives himself as it is, so of course it is going to be as grandiose in its debauchery and try to choke you with the disturbing amounts of mythbuilding surrounding his existence.

Anything shorter than three hours and it wouldn't have felt as vile at its end. You have to take it.

You all have to take it.
                    Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain Russ View Post
                      RE: Werewolf Bar Mitzvah of Wall Street

The entire thing is largely how Jordan perceives himself as it is, so of course it is going to be as grandiose in its debauchery and try to choke you with the disturbing amounts of mythbuilding surrounding his existence.

Anything shorter than three hours and it wouldn't have felt as vile at its end. You have to take it.

You all have to take it.

having read both of his books, I can say this.

It's Belfort as seen by Scorsese. A lot of the movie is far more damning than anything Belfort ever wrote.

The movie had almost an hour lobbed off of it. I have no issue with the current length. I think if it was any longer and people realized what became of Belfort, there would be theatrical riots.
                      My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

• Originally posted by gravedigger View Post
                        THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN- well, I was mostly wrong about this one. I still hate the costume and I feel cheated I never got a Dylan Baker Lizard but I rather liked this. I didn't like Garfield's stuttering/stammering take on Parker but this Spider-Man is much better. And I kind of assumed from the trailers that the Lizard was going to be a mindless beast but he wasn't! I'm honestly more excited for the sequel now that I gave this a chance.
                        ONE OF US ONE OF US
                        "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

• Heat

That film. That fucking film. And the ending. Such perfection.

Coming to America

Also a classic. Most likely my favorite Eddie Murphy flick, along with The Golden Child. As all classic Eddie Murphy movies, they are much superior in French. His French voice actor is so amazing.
                          BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• Coming to America might be my favorite comedy. It's right up there with Tombstone on movie I can watch at anytime and make me happy.

Zero Dark Thirty - I just...why the high praise? It was competently made, and Chastain is indeed quite good...but it's at least 45 minutes too long. And that final raid? Ugh. I remember there being a huge discussion about how realistic and tense it was. I hated it. Half of it was pitch black and you can't see ANYTHING, which I understand her reasoning for directing it this way...but it sucks as a viewer.

Perks of Being A Wallflower - Quite liked this. The only thing that bugged me was apparently it took place in 1991 - 1992, but some of the music (which is a huge part of the movie) didn't seem to fit. Like, they freak out over hearing "Heroes" by David Bowie for the first time and then Candlebox playing at a party from an album that didn't come out until 1993. Nitpicky, sure, but for a movie that made such a big display of the music those disconnects stood out.

Comment

• COMING TO AMERICA is pretty great, but TRADING PLACES is my 'definitive' Eddie Murphy comedy.

And I love ZERO DARK THIRTY. I was absolutely riveted when I saw it in the theater and a recent rewatch on blu ray was just as good.

Comment

• Prisoners AKA Wolverine vs. Paul Dano

Not bad. Jackman shows some range and Dano is suitably creepy. Definitely made me feel uneasy during some scenes. Jake G was pretty great it in as well.

Not as much fun as Ransom (it lacked having a New Kid in the cast) but the ending was decent.

Comment

Working...
                                X