Paleo Chow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paleo Chow

Since a bunch of us are doing the paleo diet now (to varying degrees), here's a thread to collect the best recipes that we've found.

Note: Let's keep this thread specific to paleo recipes. If it's posted, it's paleo. Put anything else in the other food threads.

Note #2: Only post the recipe if you've actually made it and can vouch for how good it is.
    Originally posted by Martin
    Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
    Originally posted by gravedigger
    Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
    And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
    Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

PALEO CABBAGE ROLLS:

Here is that killer paleo cabbage rolls recipe that I found online:

Ingredients:
    12 large cabbage leaves
    1 egg
    1/4 cup chicken or beef stock
    1/4 cup chopped onion
    1 lb ground beef
    1 cup cauliflower, grated
    1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
    1 tbsp lemon juice
    Sea salt and black pepper to taste

(note: the ingredients above are from the recipe. I double the tomato sauce and lemon juice to make more sauce)

Directions:
    - Blanch the cabbage leaves by placing them in a pot of boiling salted water for about 2 minutes (until the cabbage leaves start to soften). Drain and run under cold water to stop the cooking.
    - Combine together the stock, onion, ground beef, cauliflower, and egg. Season the mixture to taste with the sea salt and black pepper.
    - Place the soft cabbage leaves on a flat surface and fill each one with 1/12 of the meat mixture near the base of the leaves.
    - Fold the sides of the leaves and roll them on themselves to close up the mixture inside.
    - Prepare the sauce by combining together the tomato sauce with the lemon juice. Season the sauce to taste with the sea salt and black pepper.
    - Place the stuffed cabbage rolls inside a crock pot and cover them with the tomato sauce.
    - Cook on low for 7-9 hours.

Prep time usually takes me about a half hour (dipping around with the cabbage leaves takes the longest). My wife and I will typically eat half of them that day and save the rest for leftovers. They heat up perfectly.

Good chow. I did them with that 90% lean grass fed beef you can get from Whole Foods and they came out great.
    Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.

Comment

awesome. Thanks man!
      "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

PALEO BREAKFAST BARS:

Ingredients:
        1/2 cup creamy roasted almond butter
        2 eggs
        2 tablespoons honey
        1 teaspoon vanilla extract
        1/4 teaspoon stevia (or coconut palm sugar)
        1/4 teaspoon sea salt
        1/4 teaspoon baking soda
        1 tablespoon cinnamon
        coconut oil

For the ingredients, get gluten free/non gmo stuff.

1. In a large bowl, use a hand blender and mix the almond butter until creamy
        2. Mix in eggs, honey, vanilla extract, and stevia
        3. Add salt, baking soda, and cinnamon
        4. Mix well until it's all blended together and smooth.
        5. Use coconut oil to grease up a standard 8X8 baking dish (basic brownie pan).
        6. Pour the batter into the pan, spread it evenly.
        7. Bake at 325 degrees for 12-15 minutes (I do 15)

That's it. It makes four large pieces. I eat that for breakfast along with a ton of water. Really easy to make and extremely tasty.

Comment

Have you used the Stevia? I saw it at Traders, but wasn't sure if it would be "healthier" than the sugar.
          "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

yep. got it at Whole Foods. Works fine, and a little goes a long way.

Some Paleo books say it's a viable thing to use, others say it's a No No. I've used it without issue.

Comment

ok cool. I just wasn't sure if it was going to give me cancer of the balls or something.

Comment

Read title, expected:

Another of life's many disappointments..
                XBL/PSN/Steam Gamertag - CalgaryRonin

Comment

hahahahha. yesssssss

Comment

That frog dna will carry us to glory one day.
                    Me quick one want slow

Comment

Originally posted by Abraham Smashington View Post
                      ok cool. I just wasn't sure if it was going to give me cancer of the balls or something.
                      To clarify: I've only used it in those paleo breakfast bars, and that recipe does NOT call for a lot. Indeed, you can probably get by with just the honey as a sweetener.

Comment

I made the following three desserts for the 4th of July. All three of them came out amazing, especially the pie. I can highly recommend any/all of them:

http://www.elanaspantry.com/gluten-f...ot-power-bars/
                        http://www.elanaspantry.com/coconut-bars/
                        http://www.elanaspantry.com/banana-cream-pie/
                        http://www.elanaspantry.com/paleo-pie-crust/ (for the pie above)

The only problem I had was with the pie setting in the fridge. It just wouldn't solidify at all. I ended up putting it in the freezer for about an hour before serving and that helped put it into a form that could be sliced and served. It tasted amazing so nobody complained that it had the consistency of pudding.

Comment

Those breakfast bars are pretty tasty, Matt. We made our first batch last night and had them this morning. We used half of the cinnamon (we ran out) and they tasted awesome. Thanks for that recipe.

Comment

cool, glad you liked 'em. They're great to pound in the morning when you simply don't have time to make a big breakfast.

Comment

yeah for sure. Will hopefully try your cabbage roll recipe in the next week or so.

Comment

Working...
                              X