Best Horror Games?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Horror Games?

So I'm putting together a little side project (or at least attempting to) and I'm running into some road blocks in regards to remembering certain games. What are some of your favorite horror games? At the moment my list is looking like:

Resident Evil 2: Takes what the first did and refined it. Still the best in the series.

P.T. - One of the scariest fucking demos to ever come out. It gives me a minor panic attack just thinking about it.

The Thing - Ahead of its time and because of that it suffered. A game that most people forget even exists.

Until Dawn - the closest to playing a movie that is actually fun and good

Dead Space - Those fucking necromorphs are ridiculous.

F.E.A.R. - Alma's first (or second appearance) made me scream so loud that my parents woke up and yelled at me for waking them up.

Slender - Still one of my favorite PC games if only for the epic live streams that came from it.

Left 4 Dead - Scott's wife went into labor which made our game that night fucking hilariously epic. IT also helps that the game itself is still fun to play and can be quite hectic/scary if you spook the witch with no health left.

Bloodborne - One of the best games in regards to creature designs and atmosphere. Drips horror around every corner.

I have more, but am curious if any of you have ones that I haven't even thought of due to my spotty memory.
    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

I'm not sure if it's just the dread that freaks me out or what because they're not necessarily scary but it took me a while to finish The Last of Us and I still haven't been able to bring myself to put Alien Isolation back in the game machine.

Comment

Alien man. That fucking game is still unbeaten thanks to a part I'm currently at that makes me sweat as soon as the game loads.

I really need to replay The Last of Us.
      "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

I prefer Dead Space 2.

Year Walk

Friday the 13th - Not because it's good, but because you are STRESSED THE FUCK OUT the entire time.

Silent Hill 2 - The only Silent Hill game that was actually fun.

Amnesia

Darkest Dungeon

Shit I don't remember the name of it, but Patrick Klepek played this crazy viral "white face" game that required digging into readme.txt files and shit to progress. It was so creepy.

Comment

Parasite Eve is a good and underrated one.

Comment

I'm trying to remember if Dead Space 2 added anything new to the genre?

Comment

The only thing I remember about Parasite Eve was some Madonna tie-in or something. No clue what that game is even about

Comment

It was a hybrid RPG that I sucked at so I got frustrated and sold it. But I liked the story and music so I probably should have tried to tough it out. Is it available as a PS1 Classic, I wonder?

Comment

Dead Space 2 and the needle scene were scarier than ANYTHING in the first game. Plus I felt it just played about a billion times better.

I don't remember anything about a Madonna tie-in! I just remember it being super goddamn moody and creepy as hell, with a cool battle system.

Comment

shit, I'll have to hunt down Parasite it sounds like.

Oh fuck, the needle scene. Totally forgot about that. You're right DS2 is better than 1. 2 has the daycare scene right?

Comment

Doom 3 needs to be on this list as well. I know people like to hate on it, but the flashlight mechanic was awesome IMO.

Comment

Silent Hill games are always a mixed bag for me. Like I know I should love them, but I honestly don't. I always got frustrated and never finished any. Maybe I should try to give SH2 a go again?

Comment

SH2 is the pinnacle of the genre for me. Not in terms of game-play mind you, but the story just blows me away.

Ya'll forgot OUTLAST as well. I still haven't gotten past like the first half hour. Intense as fuck.
                          XBL/PSN/Steam Gamertag - CalgaryRonin

Comment

totally forgot about that game. I stopped playing once I made it to the sewers or whatever.

Comment

TOO STRESSFUL

Comment

Working...
                              X