Who knows about wireless networks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who knows about wireless networks?

So I was at the in-laws for the holiday and we all know what that means! Tech support! But like I've said before, I know just enough to be dangerous so I have no idea what's going on with this. Here's the deal-

My sister-in-law has a wireless network set up with a Linksys WRT110. The desktop it's hooked up to is running XP (I think). The laptops in the house all run Windows 7 Home Premium. The problem is if more than one device is using the wireless signal, the internet gets cut off. The laptops show as still being connected to the network but net access is unavailable/denied.

They're using a small(?) regional ISP. They've called tech support and get some song and dance about how wireless phones can interrupt the connection and some other weird story. Going into the router settings, it looks like the ISP sets a lot of the things themselves. I tried switching to a stronger channel on the router but it did nothing.

I don't know what steps I could take to fix it but it seems ridiculous that only one device at a time can use a wireless signal. I mean, it's wireless.

Yeah, that sounds fishy as fuck. Have they cleared all of the router settings to default to see if it works?
    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

I'm not sure. And I didn't want to try that because I didn't want to totally jack shit up when I was skipping town the next morning.

Comment

Working...
      X