Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Emmanuelle Movie Did You Just Watch?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This makes mer want to rewatch World's End.

https://youtu.be/YzuViLLTukM

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Touch it. Touch my fuzziness! It's like petting a kitten!
    Now drop the pants and take the bacon!
    POUTINE AND CELINE DION FOR EVERYONE!!!!

Comment

• Mer!

Comment

• Dunkirk.

Spoiler: Don't read my bullshit ramblings 'till you've seen it for yourself! ! ! ! 
        Like all of Nolan's work, it requires a second viewing and I really want/need to do so in the next few days. His films have always been made for repeat viewings and nine times out of ten greatly improve. The man puts so much story within not only the narrative but the frame. You realize details that were always there on the second, third, and so forth sit-downs. The Dark Knight Rises, for example, went from being a film I strongly liked but thought the first act dragged and details didn't add up on first viewing to now standing as my favorite in the trilogy.

From a pure style/visual standpoint, he directs the Hell out of this. I felt those bullets hit. I felt those planes crash. I felt that impending drowning. Most importantly, it never once reminded me of Saving Private Ryan visually - one of the most stylistically copied films of the last 30 years. That in its own right is a major accomplishment.

But for the life of me... I couldn't understand half of what was being said or happening. Let alone who was who, especially during "The Mole" story. No doubt that was a decision made knowingly - for these mostly 17-21 year-old kids to look alike. A point made by a line of dialogue by Mark Rylance - "We're sending our children out to die." But you still need to know just who the Hell is who, so I can care. I literally had no idea if the French kid made it or not (He did not).

I appreciate Nolan for being a guy who treats the audience with the same level of intelligence as himself. He also understands you have to get the exposition and rules across effectively. To this day how he managed to make mainstream movie-goers keep up with the complexity of Inception is awe-inspiring. But in this case (again.. from my first viewing and I plan on, at the very least, one more), he assumed any audience had a passing knowledge of Dunkirk. He mistakenly thought just an opening crawl was enough. Sorry, buddy, it was not.

What I especially liked what Nolan treating these soldiers for the patriots that they were. While also reminding us they are human beings. Yes they served their country nobly. But they don't want to die. Neither the two boys for sneaking on the boat nor Cillian Murphy for not wanting to go back to Dunkirk are cowards. One of the closing lines summed it best - paraphrasing.

BLIND OLD MAN: *Hands hot food* Good job!
        BOY: All I did was not get killed.
        BLIND OLD MAN: That's good enough, son!

So... on first viewing, Dunkirk was everything Nolan has been (unfairly) accused of over the years. It's cold. Masterfully made and tension fueled... but cold.
        Originally posted by Ari
        The only thing I want to tell her vagina is nomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom

Comment

• The Devils.

Oliver Reed and Vanessa Redgrave as well as several fine British character actors star in what may be my favorite Ken Russell film in his oeuvre.

Reed plays a sane man in insane times whose chosen vices bring about his downfall as France begins the great culling of Protestant power and influence under the guise of quelling peasant uprisings and uniting France.

While it all does end up doing exactly that, the ambitious push by Cardinal Richelieu for such a state destroys the very fabric of a peaceable microcosm of society (here represented as the walled city of Loudon) through religious fervor, where those in power use hysteria and fear as a great big cudgel to tear apart not only the city that Oliver Reed is trying his best to keep from falling to disease and Catholic persecution, but the very fabric of the soul of man.

Great film with some incredibly black comedy swirling in its veins. DO NOT watch the version they've been hustling on Shudder, as it is the edited version. I'd recommend going full tilt boogie with it if you're going to give it a watch.

Also saw Nolan's latest in IMAX. The sound design, which has been a sore spot for some of the mixes in his recent output, here serves as a strength to the experience. And it is very much an experience moreso than anything you'd find in a conventional sense of movie making (what with a plot and quips and BUY DISNEY'S PLASTIC GARBAGE WONDERLAND OF ASS). See it somewhere you trust the theatre not to flub the sound and find as large a screen as possible.
          Last edited by Captain Russ; 07-29-2017, 02:49 PM.
          Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Holy shit!

Comment

• Spectre. It was not good. All over the place.

Comment

• That movie outside of the opening shots is a complete waste of talent, time, and murrney.
                Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Yeah, I was disappointed with that one after the city block implodes. It's better than QUANTUM OF SOLACE, at least!

INCEPTION- hot damn, this is still great. So close with MEMENTO for Nolan's best. I catch things and change my mind about it with just about every watch. Ugh, so good.
                  Last edited by gravedigger; 07-29-2017, 09:30 PM.

Comment

• ATOMIC BLONDE

Very good, not great. The plot is kinda hard to follow and never really gels until the third act. Some better storytelling would have helped immensely. Still, the action is well done and the movie settles into a great groove once the third act starts and an incredible action sequence in a stairwell happens. It's really something to see and will be watched continuously as a YouTube clip much like the JOHN WICK clips are.

You can wait for blu ray on this one.
                    Originally posted by Martin
                    Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
                    Originally posted by gravedigger
                    Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
                    And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
                    Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

• Originally posted by gravedigger View Post
                      !

INCEPTION- hot damn, this is still great. So close with MEMENTO for Nolan's best. I catch things and change my mind about it with just about every watch. Ugh, so good.
                      Yeah, Rewatched it last month. Still fantastic.
                      BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt View Post
                        ATOMIC BLONDE

Very good, not great. The plot is kinda hard to follow and never really gels until the third act. Some better storytelling would have helped immensely. Still, the action is well done and the movie settles into a great groove once the third act starts and an incredible action sequence in a stairwell happens. It's really something to see and will be watched continuously as a YouTube clip much like the JOHN WICK clips are.

You can wait for blu ray on this one.
                        Bummer. Will just wait until on demand I guess.
                        "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• ET THE EXTRA TERRESTRIAL- This is still very good. I watched the 2002 Special Edition, which I've never seen. It would appear every change was completely unnecessary. When I was little I remember thinking the mom was annoying. Now I see that she's a divorced mother of three barely keeping it together and it bummed me out.

Comment

• One of my absolute favorite movies of all time. You're dead right in regards to Dee Wallace. She barely keeps it together. As an adult I felt terrible for her.

Gamer. Still my second favorite Ovaltine/Tyler movie. Dexter's dance number at the end is one of the best things ever.
                            "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Originally posted by gravedigger View Post
                              ET THE EXTRA TERRESTRIAL- This is still very good. I watched the 2002 Special Edition, which I've never seen. It would appear every change was completely unnecessary. When I was little I remember thinking the mom was annoying. Now I see that she's a divorced mother of three barely keeping it together and it bummed me out.
                              I think movie traumatized me a bit as a kid. Not sure I can watch it. It's been probably thir.......thirty years. Holy fuck.

Comment

• Haven't watched ET all the way through since the 80s.
                                Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
                                Originally posted by gravedigger
                                Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
                                And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
                                Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

Working...
                                X