Deciding on a new laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deciding on a new laptop

I'm getting a new laptop for my 31st birthday this week. I've been looking at laptops for months now and am still having trouble deciding on one. I have looked at HP's, Sony's, Samsung's. I intend to use it for a variety of things ranging from storing movies and music, to playing video games, to editing pictures and video. I wouldn't be opposed to buying an external hd in the future and intend to be connecting to my 42 inch lcd through an hdmi.

The area I'm uncertain about is the video graphics and processing performance that is needed. I don't want the bare minimum nor do I want to go overboard with something unnecessary.

300-500GB HD
    is dual core out of date? i5? i7?
    4? 6? gb ram
    is a 240mb video card to weak?
    blu-ray and dvd-rw
    15-16.9 inch monitor

Samsung NP-R580-JSB1US?
    HP dv7-4087cl?
    Last edited by PHEDG; 07-13-2010, 12:13 PM.

For closure, I ended up getting this.

Comment

Sorry I missed this Jeff. I haven't been digging much past the new posts lately. But it looks like you got a nice one.
      "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

Not bad Jeff.
        "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

Kicks my desktop's ass. Nice!
          Touch it. Touch my fuzziness! It's like petting a kitten!
          Now drop the pants and take the bacon!
          POUTINE AND CELINE DION FOR EVERYONE!!!!

Comment

Bump. Looking into getting a new laptop. Need to stay around $400-500 if possible. Get at me, doggs.
            "Here, young man, your hormones are raging. Let's go in this bedroom, and we'll engage in some homosexual acts. You'll find you like it." - Rep. Ken Peterson, R-Billings

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one." - Don Draper

~
            *RATED BEST POSTER OF 2011 - CHIPOTLE FAN FORUMS*~

Comment

That's pretty cheap. Like super cheap. I don't think you'll get a lot of choices, I'd watch Gizmodo etc and Amazon sale listings.

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_abn_p...3A%2C%3A%2C%3A

Comment

Do NOT buy Toshiba.

Comment

Originally posted by BillyG View Post
                    Do NOT buy Toshiba.
                    Really? My mom really likes hers.

Comment

Yeah, I've heard a lot of good stuff about Toshiba, bloatware aside.

That said: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834146853

Yea? Nay?
                      "Here, young man, your hormones are raging. Let's go in this bedroom, and we'll engage in some homosexual acts. You'll find you like it." - Rep. Ken Peterson, R-Billings

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one." - Don Draper

~
                      *RATED BEST POSTER OF 2011 - CHIPOTLE FAN FORUMS*~

Comment

Love my HP Pavilion dv7.

Comment

Working...
                        X