Metal Miniatures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal Miniatures

I probably could have posted this in the nerd stuff thread, but I am genuinely curious if anyone else has done/still does this.

I haven't painted one in years. Like 15+ years. But I used to enjoy the hell out of painting D&D miniatures (I particularly liked Ral Partha's output). I was nowhere near as good as the stuff you'd see in the stores that they'd use to sell the figures, or in a Dragon magazine or anything (my shading techniques were somewhat primitive). But I had a couple, by the time I stopped, that were IMO pretty fuckin' good. Better than anything anyone I knew personally was doing, for sure.

I was moving shit around in my attic today, and stumbled across my paints & stuff. Miraculously, they're still liquid (whether they look anything like their original colors after so many seasonal changes in my attic remains to be seen, but liquid is a start). And I still have a lot of primed but unpainted figures (including the "Giant Riding War Elephant" that it took me years to find - this was in an era w/o the internet, you'll recall). So I'm thinking of busting them out again. Problems I foresee are 1.) this takes up a LOT of time. Like days for a human sized figure. Taking that much time away from work, the wife & kids is very hard to do; & 2.) My 3 year old would undoubtedly take an interest in what Daddy's doing. Sorry, but since they ain't makin' these any more, and they're almost impossible to find unpainted these days, I don't feel like sharing. I also foresee spilled paint and other messes were this to come to pass.

What I may end up doing is busting them out this summer. My wife typically spends part of her summer vacation (she's a teacher) at my in law's out of state. So I can pursue bachelor era stuff again. I once had a discussion w/ a friend who also did this for a bit, and we both agreed that there was something zen like about it, and it was very, very relaxing. As stressful as work is getting these days, resuming this hobby may be just the ticket. Of corse, if those paints are now shadows of their former selves color wise, and I'd be required to make a trek to the Compleat Strategist or some fuckin' where to replenish them at no doubt great expense, that may put the brakes on the idea for a while longer.

Anyway, anyone else care to share their love for this? Discuss technique? Or hurl tomatoes at my temerity for posting this shit in a forum about more worthy forms of art? Take yo' pick.
    Last edited by IggytheBorg; 01-31-2010, 12:04 AM.
    I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

I used to collect Ral Partha pewter figures. I would never paint them though, because they were always hard to find.

I did however get into Warhammer and Warhammer 40k at one point in my life. Dug painting those. Until it became stupid expensive.
    The infamous Naruto pictures. SafAri.

Comment

I remember doing this with my brother 20 years ago. We also built plastic models. Some memories of good times.

Comment

Originally posted by nerdious dorkus View Post
        I used to collect Ral Partha pewter figures. I would never paint them though, because they were always hard to find.

I did however get into Warhammer and Warhammer 40k at one point in my life. Dug painting those. Until it became stupid expensive.
        I think I still have a couple of Space Marines and a Terminator or two lying around. Also have a few Codexes from about 15 years or so ago.

My brother was heavily into painting miniatures for awhile (kid's got a great eye for detail. Turned it into a career appraising jewelry out in Los Angeles.). He painted this half man, half-spider thing from the old AD&D line of miniatures (was it Citadel that made them?) which looked fucking awesome when he was finished with it, as well as a bunch of Dr. Who and Star Trek miniatures from the FASA games.

Comment

Working...
        X