They Don't Make It Anymore. . . Defunct Foods You Miss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They Don't Make It Anymore. . . Defunct Foods You Miss

There are some foods I recall loving as a kid, that for some reason I can no longer find. The ones that spring to mind immediately are Buittoni canned ravioli (much more flavorful than the Chef Boy-Ar-De variety), and their toaster pizzas. These kind of looked like an uncut English muffin, and you cooked them in a toaster. They were filled with a delectable mix of sauce & cheese. ONe of my favorite snack/weekend lunchtime foods as a kid. Jeno's also used to make this thing, it was like a foil tray with mini pizzas on it; cheese, pepperoni & sausage. Jeno's is still around, but I haven't seen one of these things in years. Great watching TV snack.

In 1987 I was at a party at a friend's house, and he had a couple bags of sour cream & bacon chips from Herr's. They were INCREDIBLE. Best fucking flavored chips EVER! I found them again a few months later at the CVS across the Mall from the bookstore where I worked, and I must have bought 4 bags or so at one time before they ran out (which was almost instantly). I haven't seen these since, either. But I continue to look every time I see a Herr's display, just hoping. . .

ANyone else mourning the loss of a former favorite food?
    I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

I just miss Herr's in general. Can't get 'em out here. It makes me sad.

I can't think of anything that is totally gone, more of a "I miss the original recipe/formula for Product X". Namely Honey Nut Cheerios. I don't know what they changed or when they did it, but they're not the same as when I was a kid. I call shenanigans on General Mills.
    Mortal Sin is a registered trademark of the One Holy Catholic & Apostolic Church. Hallelujah. ~Iggy

Comment

Ditto Trix. Ever since they changed from the spheres to the fruit-shaped things, they've never been the same. Or as good.
      I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Comment

I miss a lot of local stuff from back in Atlantic City. If you're from NJ and/or Philly (I'm looking at you, Tim and Iggy!) - I miss Tasty Kakes (this awesome brand of cookies and cupcakes out of Philadelphia)! Their Butterscotch Krimpets were the best in the world! Plus, every year near Christmas - usually right after Thanksgiving - they used to have these small tubs of butter cookies that ROCKED! They were shaped like snowflakes, and sprinkled with red and green sugar sprinkles, and were loaded with butter - you could actually see the butter stains on the bottom of the cardboard tub they came in.

I also miss Conte Luna pasta - really really good supermarket pasta, never got mushy, only found in south NJ and Philly.

There was this local brand of coffee in Atlantic City called Ireland Coffee - it was sold only to hotels and restaurants, so you couldn't get it in the stores. But they had their factory in Atlantic City, with a small shop attached. So if you were so inclined, you could go to the Ireland Coffee factory store and buy it directly from them. SUCH good coffee!

So those are what I miss from back home. My Dad used to send me care packages up at college and load me up with Conte Luna and Ireland coffee - I used to love getting goodies from him!
        2012 Avatar Theme - LADIES FROM THE GOLDEN AGE OF HOLLYWOOD. January: Ava Gardner.

INSTANT HAPPINESS - just click!

Comment

Ecto Cooler and P.B. Max.
          My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

Cinnamon Crunch Pebbles
            "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

fuck I'm baked and this thread is making me hungry
              "Here, young man, your hormones are raging. Let's go in this bedroom, and we'll engage in some homosexual acts. You'll find you like it." - Rep. Ken Peterson, R-Billings

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one." - Don Draper

~
              *RATED BEST POSTER OF 2011 - CHIPOTLE FAN FORUMS*~

Comment

Where's the Holiday Spiced Pepsi when ya need it? I lived on that shit for a winter break in school.

Comment

MCRIBS.
                  The infamous Naruto pictures. SafAri.

Comment

Originally posted by nerdious dorkus View Post
                    MCRIBS.

The McRib is seasonal. It is still made. Never joke about its death.
                    My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Comment

But it needs to be available ALL THE TIME. And good sir, I never joke about the death of food. EVER.
                      The infamous Naruto pictures. SafAri.

Comment

Originally posted by nerdious dorkus View Post
                        But it needs to be available ALL THE TIME. And good sir, I never joke about the death of food. EVER.
                        It's the rainbow of fast food delight. You chase it and hope for its return. One day, you are rewarded.

Don't go chasing ribby waterfalls, let it come to you.

Comment

Kind of like the Shamrock Shake, which is going on RIGHT NOW.

Comment

You have no have no idea how perfect this thread is for Rob. There are so many times when we are at the store and he says "Why do they always stop carrying the things that I love?"
                            If I were Shé, do you think I'd be operating a taco truck? Shé brings hope. Shé rights the wrongs. Unfortunately, Shé is a myth.

Comment

Originally posted by LisaNY View Post
                              If you're from NJ and/or Philly (I'm looking at you, Tim and Iggy!) - I miss Tasty Kakes (this awesome brand of cookies and cupcakes out of Philadelphia)! Their Butterscotch Krimpets were the best in the world!
                              MMMM, I do miss the Krimpets. I used to live out there and now two of my sisters live on the east coast, so whenever they come to visit I make them bring me Tasty Kakes. Nathan doesn't get it. You can buy them online, but you have to buy by the case. So unless you have a very large freezer, it's a no go.
                              Mortal Sin is a registered trademark of the One Holy Catholic & Apostolic Church. Hallelujah. ~Iggy

Comment

Working...
                              X