No announcement yet.

TPBs and Omnibuses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's a blast. Glad you enjoyed the ride!
    Me quick one want slow

Comment

• I do, Russ, I do! Now I gotta wait until May for Vol. 8 to arrive, just in time for mah birfday, to see what happens next.

Comment

• Great old-school Marvel plot-outline storytelling in the new Hawkeye ongoing.

Fraction and Aja work so well together here, it's ridiculously addictive and beautifully designed.
        Me quick one want slow

Comment

• hehe.
          "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Page from issue 3:

Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Every comic ever should have a bro variant. TAKE THAT HOLO-FOIL
              "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

• Long time coming, but I'm just now reading the Thor relaunch from way back in '07 headed by Johnny-Mike Straczynski and Olivier Coipel.

Fantastic so far (finished with the first collection of 6 issues), fun plot that is drawn by one of the more impressive modern sequential artists out there.

Also reading Roger Landridge and Chris Samnee's mini-series of Thor: The Mighty Avenger, and it's just a fun throwback style story that just gets better the more I read of it. Up next: Bros Night Out with the Warriors Three.

Thorin' it up with some boss-ass Thor shit right now. Forgot what cape comics could be when they aren't specifically tied to a continuity (sure, there are moments in the formerly mentioned relaunch from the Civil War era of Marvel, but for the most part it's tossed aside early enough to keep the focus on what is actually interesting). Who knew they could be, ya know, fun? CUH. RAY. ZEE.
                Last edited by Captain Russ; 02-10-2013, 04:14 PM.
                Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Getting into some european comics at the moment.

The Scorpion. Assassin's Creed meets Alexander Dumas. Fun as hell and beautifully illustrated swashbucklin' fare. And hey, they've been translated into anglais.

Siegfried by Alex Alice. Holy shit this book is glorious. It's a retelling of the Wagner opera and it is absolutely gorgeous to behold. The final volume is supposed to be out some time later this year but the first two parts of the opera "Siegfried" and "Valkyrie" have been translated. I could spend an inordinate amount of time just pouring over the art.

Trailer for a delayed adaptation into a feature from below:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/yDoJMwjs0I8?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
                  Last edited by Captain Russ; 08-03-2013, 11:31 AM.
                  Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Allred's Madman.

I never read it until now. Just picked up the first two volumes.

Hopefully time travel can be invented at some point so I can correct this grievous error AND turn into a giant red blob like The Ron Silvers in Timecop.

I'm saying it's glorious.
                    Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Paul Pope's Battling Boy.

As awesome and genuinely fun this little book is, the fact that it is a little book is mind boggling.

The pages should be fucking huge, but the epic feeling of so many of the compositions is lessened in this digest format. I hope there is some sort of larger print run planned in the future, because this sure as shit deserves it.
                      Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Fury MAX.

Nick Fury gets progressively more and more drunk as he recounts his life in war.

It feels a bit like Forrest Gump in its hitting on major historical events of the second half of the 20th century, but with Fury making holes in people in place of ping-pong.

It keeps it to a relatively small cast that we continue to look in on over the years, making their growth as characters easily identifiable and at turns relatable.

The final chapters (12 in all) are some of the most heart rending things to come out of a comic in a long while. You will feel feels.

Easily some of Garth Ennis' best work. And the fella who drew this beast of a series, Goran Parlov, makes the whole thing. Characters feel so alive and Parlov nails the passage of time in not only their design but in their acting as well. Fury starts off all barrel chested bravado, but by the end is this hunched, shrunken ghost that you can see has been through every kind of hell. Just outstanding work by these guys.

If you like war/espionage stories, this one will be right up your alley.
                        Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Pinnochio by some French dude that goes by the pin name of Winshluss (Vincent Paronnaud).

Instead of some lame ass faithful retread of the same material, Ol' Schluttyballs recasts and reframes the entire thing as though he had been mainlining cocaine whilst reading a bunch of Crumb and Barks comics.

A clown-led coup occurs, dismemberments happen, pizza delivery women are spirited away, and Pinocchio is now a robot built for the purpose of lining the pockets of terrible people because Gepetto is a piece of human garbage and the world he inhabits ain't too pretty either.

Seriously. Look at that smug prick.

Cameos are made by seven pervert dwarves, a swishy Snow White, and a detective with the face of an Easter Island statue who talks to his dead cat.

It's imaginative, it's fun and it is exceedingly dark.

It is totally worth the price of admission.
                          Last edited by Captain Russ; 10-21-2014, 09:49 PM.
                          Me quick one want slow

Comment

• Five Ghosts.

Buy it for the art, stay for a nice pulpy story very much in the style of the Tomb of Dracula.

For real though, it's a quaint premise given the proper treatment by some fine draftsmanship.
                            Me quick one want slow

Comment

• MARVEL OMNIBUS BLOWOUT AT AMAZON UPDATE

A few months back, I let some BDR folk in on the knowledge that Disney is making Marvel scale back its Omnibus program.

The plan was to eventually liquidate about 75 books on Amazon at a certain date. Well, that date came and went.

No one knew what the fuck was up. Turns out that Amazon didn't want to take a path on the financial loss. So, they worked with Diamond and a few others to heavily discount them to retailers. That was fine and great for FCBD, but now the retailers are stuck with Omnibuses that people either super wanted or they can't get rid of now.

So, if you head on Amazon...you'll find a ton of Omnibuses discounted 75-90% in the Marketplace. Most of those guys are comic shops around America (a ton seem to be in Cali and TN).

Amazon is still selling these books at anywhere from 25-50% off, but the comic guys have done monster discounts.

For ex: The X-Force Omnibus was $125 in March, now it can be had for $35-40.
                              My readers come to me for my thoughts and opinions. I've built myself into a brand

Click here to visit AndersonVision!

Comment

• thanks to DC universe catching up some comics.

I think I may like Superman now after starting All Star Superman. Dig the premise a whole bunch. Only read the first 3 issues but dig it a bunch so far.

Have so many more comics to go through.
                                "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

Working...
                                X