This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OH SHIT, PULLED PORK OFF!
    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

*immediately starts jerking off*
      "Here, young man, your hormones are raging. Let's go in this bedroom, and we'll engage in some homosexual acts. You'll find you like it." - Rep. Ken Peterson, R-Billings

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one." - Don Draper

~
      *RATED BEST POSTER OF 2011 - CHIPOTLE FAN FORUMS*~

Comment

This one's from the friendly folks at Kikkoman:

Mix together 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1/4 cup white wine, 1-2 cloves pressed garlic, 1 t. ground ginger. Mix 1 t. dry mustard w/ 1 t. water to form a paste. Let stand 5 mins. Combine w/ other ingredients.

Baste liberally over steaks as they grill. I love this recipe because you can make it spur of the moment, and there's no need to marinate the meat. It's also all kinds of delicious, in a spicy but not hot kind of way. This is also the one recipe where I break one of the cardinal rules of grilling, which is to not turn the meat over more than once. I turn it pretty frequently so as to get as much baste adhered to the steak as possible. No one I've made this for has not liked it.
        I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Comment

oooooooo... that sounds fucking amay-zing!

I am now emotionally erect at the thought of spring when I can finally grill.

Comment

Originally posted by IggytheBorg View Post
            This one's from the friendly folks at Kikkoman:

Mix together 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1/4 cup white wine, 1-2 cloves pressed garlic, 1 t. ground ginger. Mix 1 t. dry mustard w/ 1 t. water to form a paste. Let stand 5 mins. Combine w/ other ingredients.

Baste liberally over steaks as they grill. I love this recipe because you can make it spur of the moment, and there's no need to marinate the meat. It's also all kinds of delicious, in a spicy but not hot kind of way. This is also the one recipe where I break one of the cardinal rules of grilling, which is to not turn the meat over more than once. I turn it pretty frequently so as to get as much baste adhered to the steak as possible. No one I've made this for has not liked it.
            I know it's the rule but my steaks usually turn out better with any sort of baste if I use your method. Basically I could give a shit about the rules as long as my meat is fucking awesome.
            "Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

Here's another fave: I love vinegar. When I saw Maggy Oster's "Flavored Vinegar" in a store, I had to have it. It's got all kinds of recipes for flavoring all kinds of vinegar, but my favorite so far is this one.

Get 16 oz. of white wine vinegar. Pour it over 1 cup fresh oregano leaves, 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves (both slightly bruised), 3-4 cloves peled garlic, and some hot red peppers. I used to grow Hungarian wax peppers when I had a small garden at my folks' house (sadly, the current digs do not lend themselves to this; too many trees cutting in on the sunlight everywhere but dead center in the middle of the yard, and I'm not putting a vegetable patch there), just to make this stuff. But any variety will work. Because I'm a chilehead from the word go and like things super hot, I used to cut diamond shaped holes in the sides of the peppers, so as to let the vinegar get at the ribs & seeds, wherein lieth the capsaicin, the chemical that makes peppers hot. I guess you could omit this step if you're not quite the hot food fan I am. Give the jar a good shake, and let it sit in a cool dark place for 2 weeks, shaking it every couple days. Strain thru cheesecloth into an airtight bottle, and enjoy.

I suppose you could use this on salads & such, but I've honestly never tried that. I find it works great with bready things. I dip garlic bread in it, or drizzle it over calzones, stromboli, or even pizza rolls. My best friend growing up was Filipino, and they dip their egg or spring rolls in vinegar rather than duck sauce, and I won't eat them any other way now. This stuff is AMAZING in that role.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Comment

I tried an experiment today. I made the crock-pot vindaloo... because I'm a pig for Indian food. While I was crocking, I was at a loss. How can I eat this without Naan, the pita-like flatbread of India. More importantly... how could I cook it quickly without turning my apartment into a sauna?

The George Foreman Grill!

Here's the recipe...

1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
                1 cup warm water
                1/4 cup white sugar
                3 tablespoons milk
                1 egg, beaten
                2 teaspoons salt
                4 1/2 cups bread flour
                1/4 cup butter, melted
                1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand about 10 minutes, until frothy. Stir in sugar, milk, egg, salt, and enough flour to make a soft dough. Knead for 6 to 8 minutes on a lightly floured surface, or until smooth. Place dough in a well oiled bowl, cover with a damp cloth, and set aside to rise. Let it rise 1 hour, until the dough has doubled in volume.
                2. Punch down dough, and knead in garlic. Pinch off small handfuls of dough about the size of a golf ball. Roll into balls, and place on a tray. Cover with a towel, and allow to rise until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
                3. During the second rising, you fire up the fucking Foreman!
                4. At grill side, roll one ball of dough out into a thin circle. Lightly oil grill. Place dough on grill, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until puffy and lightly browned. Brush uncooked side with butter, and turn over. Brush cooked side with butter, and cook until browned, another 2 to 4 minutes. Remove from grill, and continue the process until all the naan has been prepared.
                Done and done!

Comment

You brilliant bastard. I'm doing this with garlic once I get a Foreman.
                  "Here, young man, your hormones are raging. Let's go in this bedroom, and we'll engage in some homosexual acts. You'll find you like it." - Rep. Ken Peterson, R-Billings

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one." - Don Draper

~
                  *RATED BEST POSTER OF 2011 - CHIPOTLE FAN FORUMS*~

Comment

Ordinarily, I'd add garlic to the naan... but since I threw a fuckton into the Vindaloo, I figured I'd back off a tad.

But you alone must choose.

I can only show you the door. You're the one who has to walk through it.

Comment

• This Vindaloo recipe makes me want to run out and buy a blender.

The shocking thing is that I didn't start having Indian food until a couple of years ago. And all it is just meat and gravy.

But first, gonna test out Vault's brisket recipe.
                      "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

• That brisket is next on my list... must go to Wegmann's to find a suitable one.

Comment

• I still have leftover naan from last night...

so I'm making

Chicken Madras

Ingredients:

3 apples(I use Grannies)
                          4 medium onions
                          4-6 chicken thighs
                          2 tblsp garam masala
                          1 cup chicken broth
                          1 tsp paprika

1: peel, core, and slice apples thinly
                          2: chop onions coarsely
                          3: add apples, onions, broth, paprika, and garam masala to crockpot.
                          4: stir thouroughly, then add chicken.
                          5: set to low, and cook for 5-6 hours.
                          6: load onto plate, then nom!

Comment

• Huzzabout a booze recipe? Again, from Polish Heritage Cookery: Peel, dice & mash 1 lb of peaches. Pour the mash into a large airtight jar, & add a cinnamon stick. Pour in a bottle of Spiritus (Polish grain alcohol; 192 proof to Everclear's 190. Take THAT, hick mu'fuckas!). Shake well. Allow to steep for 2 weeks, shaking every couple of days. Strain the liquid thru a fine sieve or coffee filter lined funnel into a pot. Add 1/2 cup sugar & cook - GENTLY! - until the sugar dissolves. Cool, pour into flasks or whatever you're storing it in, & enjoy. Tastes great, but it WILL put hair on your chest.

I suppose an acceptable, more low proof variety can be manufactured using vodka (I'd recomment Polish vodka - particularly Wyborowa 100 proof), but this will come out more like a liquer (the cooking & whatnot lowers the alcohol significantly).

Comment

• My brain melted just reading that, Iggy!
                              2012 Avatar Theme - LADIES FROM THE GOLDEN AGE OF HOLLYWOOD. January: Ava Gardner.

INSTANT HAPPINESS - just click!

Comment

• Made a corned beef tonight, a la Iggy: Purchase a corned beef from the supermarket as you normally would, and boil it for 3 hrs. When you put it in the water, add 1 t each cracked black peppercorns, cracked white peppercorns, cracked mustard seeds (I used black, but either or a mixture of black &/or yellow would work), mustard powder, and 2 bay leaves. During the last half hour, add some baby carrots & wedges of cabbage. The latter especially soak up the flavors of the spices. Had my lips & tongue burning a wee little bit. Boil a few potatoes, and you got a great lil' meal. A friend used to date this Guatemalan chick, and she got me a molcajete (mortar & pestle) made of granite a few Christmases ago, and it's perfect for the cracking. Otherwise, I guess you could put the ingredients to be cracked into a baggie and roll over them with a rolling pin or press down on them w/ a heavy frying pan, or pound them a bit w/ a meat mallet. And by that I mean a kitchen tool, not one of Jake's fists.

Although I suppose they'd work, as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X