This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuck.
    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Yeah, it's the real deal. A deep fried ham and cheese sandwich dipped in jam. Place I love to go to makes a ridiculous one.
      "DO. DO lots of cocaine. DO."
      - Relationship Guru Matt.

Check out my music, if you please:
      http://soundcloud.com/musicisgreen
      http://cmillermusic.tumblr.com/

Comment

• I have got to try that fucking thing. IT LOOKS GLORIOUS.
        "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

• You must...

It is...

Comment

• All you guys that have not had the monte cristo, your life is spiraling down the toilet. Rectify the situation rapidly.

Comment

• I could say the same of anyone who didn't have a smoked meat sandwich, but since it's a bitch to make, I'll let it slide.
              BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON

Comment

• Anyone have a chicken cordon bleu recipe to share?

Comment

• Since the grilling of steaks is dominating another thread... I thought I'd add a few of my favorite compound butter recipes. You can use them for steaks, from a $2.00 'Manager Discount' steak... to the $60.00 Chateaubriand that you fellated the butcher to get. But they also highly rock on fish, poultry, and even organ meats as well.

I particularly like this one for a pepper-crusted steak grilled on a very high heat. The saltiness of the anchovies blends with the warmth of the pepper, and gives your mouth an "O" face!

Anchovy Butter

Ingredients:

1 lb (4 sticks) unsalted butter
                  8-10 flat anchovy fillets, minced and mashed to a paste

Preparation:

In a large bowl, mash the butter with a potato masher or just squish it up with your hands... the goal is just to get the butter soft so you can incorporate the anchovies.

Add the mashed anchovies and continue mashing/squishing/mixing until fully mixed.

Spread out a large (1-foot or bigger) square of plastic wrap across your work surface, then scoop the mixed butter onto the plastic. You are now going to roll the butter into a cylinder inside the plastic wrap

Tie the excess plastic wrap at the ends of the cylinder into a knot, or just use little pieces of string to tie off the ends.

Chill or freeze until needed.

Maître d'Hôtel Butter

This one is a classic. I use it for guests who have somewhat bland tastes. Don't get me wrong... it still fucking rocks, but I need intense flavor from my foods. This one is more subtle than the anchovy butter, so choose your own adventure.

Ingredients:

1 lb (4 sticks) unsalted butter
                  ¼ cup chopped flat leaf parsley (leaves only)
                  3 tbsp lemon juice (juice from about 1 lemon)

Preparation:

Just prepare it the same way as the anchovy butter, and you're golden like a shower!

Happy Nomming!

Comment

• Ingrid is dying. Well, not really but she has the creeping crud. NEED CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP RECIPE STAT! I've been trying to get a cold for a few weeks as well. FEED US!
                    Touch it. Touch my fuzziness! It's like petting a kitten!
                    Now drop the pants and take the bacon!
                    POUTINE AND CELINE DION FOR EVERYONE!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Nathan View Post
                      Ingrid is dying. Well, not really but she has the creeping crud. NEED CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP RECIPE STAT! I've been trying to get a cold for a few weeks as well. FEED US!
                      I don't have a chicken noodle soup recipe, Nathan, but I have my grandmother's escarole and chicken soup recipe, which has both noodles and chicken, plus escarole - which is very similar to spinach, so it would be good for both of you. And this is a recipe passed down from a Sicilian who came over on the boat, so you know it's good! It has chicken, eggs and small meatballs, so it's a lot of good hearty stuff.

Nonna's Escarole Soup:
                      One really BIG ass soup kettle! I'm not kidding - this recipe is enough to feed an army - my grandmother used to make enough for the whole family, and I've never made it in smaller portions. This is how I learned it, so I never figured out a smaller batch.
                      Two large cans of College Inn chicken broth
                      1 head of escarole, chopped into small pieces (if you can't find escarole, raw spinach is a good substitute)
                      Two white meat chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
                      1 small box of any sort of tiny pasta - the little baby tubes, stars are good too. Just as long as it's really teensy.
                      Grated parmesan cheese
                      1 egg (for at the end)

For the meatballs:
                      1 lb. of lean ground beef
                      1 small onion, chopped finely
                      2 slices of bread, torn into little pieces
                      a splash of milk
                      1 egg
                      Salt and Pepper (keep to a minimum)

First make your meatballs. Combine all the meatball ingredients and mix the ground beef well. The trick to escarole soup is to make the meatballs mini size - no bigger in diameter than a quarter. You want them in size to be a little bigger than a marble. It's a lot of work making that many tiny meatballs, but it's worth it if you get started early - you can refrigerate them and take a break for a bit, then do the rest of the recipe. Don't cook the meatballs yet - they're going to go into your soup and cook in the broth.

After the meatballs are done and in the fridge, heat the broth to boiling. If my recollection serves, the instructions on the can say not to water it down - but you may need to so there's enough, and so it's not too salty. Normally add one extra can of water for each one.

Once the broth is boiling, lower it to a very low boil and add the meatballs to cook. You may have to adjust the heat depending on your stove, but cook them till they're no longer pink inside.

Add the white meat chicken breasts to the broth about the same time as the meatballs so you cook them both about evenly. You can cook them separately if you want to - they don't have to go in the broth. My nonna and my mom and I always cooked them in the broth so they season up with the broth and the spices from the meatballs. After the chicken breasts are done, remove them from the broth. Leave the meatballs in - just take the chicken breasts out, and set them aside.

Once you're sure that the broth has cooked up the beef and the chicken, add the mini pasta and cook till tender (follow the instructions on the box, just like you'd cook them in water).

Right before the pasta is done, add the escarole pieces, and cook a few minutes till tender, about five minutes. You don't want it mushy, so this is one of the last steps.

Shred or chop the chicken breasts and return them to the soup.

Your very last step before you're ready to serve - take that one egg, break it into the soup, and stir it very fast. It'll cook up, and become string-like, like egg does in Chinese soups.

After you ladle it into the bowls, take a little of the parmesan cheese and sprinkle it over the top - not too much, you don't want to make it salty.

Serve with Italian bread.
                      Last edited by Lisa; 09-04-2010, 08:29 AM.
                      2012 Avatar Theme - LADIES FROM THE GOLDEN AGE OF HOLLYWOOD. January: Ava Gardner.

INSTANT HAPPINESS - just click!

Comment

• Wow. Wow. And wow.
                        Touch it. Touch my fuzziness! It's like petting a kitten!
                        Now drop the pants and take the bacon!
                        POUTINE AND CELINE DION FOR EVERYONE!!!!

Comment

• ONLY TWO CHICKEN BREASTS AND ONE POUND OF BEEF? SHENANIGANS. MORE PROTEIN!

I'm totally gonna make this later on this month.
                          "Here, young man, your hormones are raging. Let's go in this bedroom, and we'll engage in some homosexual acts. You'll find you like it." - Rep. Ken Peterson, R-Billings

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one." - Don Draper

~
                          *RATED BEST POSTER OF 2011 - CHIPOTLE FAN FORUMS*~

Comment

• I will say this much, it feeds a huge amount of people, it's really great and hearty - with the meatballs and the chicken breasts, it comes out more like if you were to make a stew with chicken broth.

And as long as that recipe is, it's incredibly easy to make. Consider that I admit I'm a horrible cook, and even I can make this really well. My nonna taught my mom, my mom taught my sister and me, so we learned from a couple of pros. Actually, the last few times we've made this at family gatherings, my mom and sister have both had me make it, and they both said I did it as well as Nonna did. So that should tell you how easy it is, that even I can't screw it up.
                            2012 Avatar Theme - LADIES FROM THE GOLDEN AGE OF HOLLYWOOD. January: Ava Gardner.

INSTANT HAPPINESS - just click!

Comment

• Mine is a lot less soup, and a lot more stew-

Chicken and Dumplings stew:
                              1 whole chicken
                              2 chicken bouillon cubes
                              1/2 lb carrots, chopped
                              1 stalk celery, chopped
                              Bisquick (enough to make 2 times the drop biscuit/dumpling recipe on the back)

Boil the whole chicken for about 20 minutes to a half hour. This is a good time to chop the veggies.

Carefully extract the chicken from the water (do NOT pour the water out!), throw in your bouillon cubes and chopped veggies. Rinse the chicken off in cold water, until it is cool enough for you to rip the meat off by hand. Hand tear all of the meat off of the chicken. Pour all of the meat back into the soup. Prepare the doubled bisquick dumpling recipe. Spoon in meatball sized dumplings, cook ten minutes uncovered, then 10 minutes cover. Stir the stew up, as the dumplings will break down partially and thicken the broth. Salt to taste, and nom.

The leftovers (and there will be lots) make for an awesome Chicken Pot Pie filling, just get a store bought crust (or make your own), pour this in and top with the other crust, and bake at 350 until the top is golden brown. Repeat nom.
                              "DO. DO lots of cocaine. DO."
                              - Relationship Guru Matt.

Check out my music, if you please:
                              http://soundcloud.com/musicisgreen
                              http://cmillermusic.tumblr.com/

Comment

• That sounds cash Lisa. Will have to try that.

Comment

Working...
                                X