This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicken And Mushroom Pie

Ordinarily, I'd tell you to make your own pastry crust... but it's a bit labor intensive. So just use ordinary roll-up pie crusts you can buy at your grocer's.

2 boxes roll-up pie crusts
    4 tbsp olive oil
    4 chicken breasts, bone and skin removed, flesh cut into pieces
    4 oz dry white wine
    4 oz water
    2 tsp chopped fresh tarragon
    2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
    salt and freshly ground black pepper
    8 oz fresh mushrooms, roughly chopped (Portobellos and Shiitakes are good)
    2 oz sour cream
    1 egg, beaten

1. Heat two tablespoons of the olive oil in a saucepan over a medium heat, add the chicken pieces and cook for 4-5 minutes, or until browned. Add the wine, water, tarragon and thyme, and season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Bring the mixture to the boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until the volume of liquid has reduced by half and the chicken is cooked through.

2. Heat the remaining olive oil in a separate frying pan over a medium heat, add the mushrooms, and cook for 4-5 minutes, or until golden-brown, then season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

3. Remove the cooked chicken from the frying pan with a slotted spoon and place into a bowl, then add two spoonfuls of the residual juices from that pan. Add the mushrooms, then stir in the sour cream until well combined. Set aside to cool.

4. Using a large pie pan, place one of the roll-out pastry sheets in the pan, and mold it to fit. This is your bottom crust. Once the filling has cooled, pour it into the pie pan.

5. Take the other pastry sheet, and cover the pie pan. Crimp the edges around the pan to seal the pie shut. Poke a half-inch hole in the center of the pie, then place in an oven pre-heated to 350 degrees. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until golden.

6. Allow to cool, then nom.

Comment

• I would like to eat that. Now.
      If I were Shé, do you think I'd be operating a taco truck? Shé brings hope. Shé rights the wrongs. Unfortunately, Shé is a myth.

Comment

• Mystery Chicken

No... no mystery about it. My kids used to ask me "What is that smell?" when I cooked it. Trust me... so will you.

4 boneless chicken breasts, skinless
        2 tbsp plain flour
        sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
        2 tbsp olive oil
        1 tbsp butter
        1 garlic clove, crushed
        4 bay leaves
        4fl oz dry white wine
        2 tbsp capers, well-rinsed
        1 tbsp lemon juice
        2 tbsp flatleaf parsley

1. Place a frying pan on the heat and add the oil and butter.

2. Place the chicken breasts between two sheets of plastic wrap and pound flat.

3. Season the flour with the sea salt and black pepper.

4. Tear the chicken into pieces, then toss in the seasoned flour. Fry the chicken until cooked through. Remove from the heat.

5. Add the garlic, bay leaves, capers and seasoning to the frying pan. Add the wine and return to the heat.

6. Add the lemon juice and parsley leaves.

7. Plate up the chicken, drizzle over the sauce and nom with salad and bread.

Comment

• Came
          "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

• One more and I'll leave you guys alone.

Spicy Polenta Chicken with Arugula Pesto and Roasted Potatoes

For the chicken

2 plum tomatoes
            1 red chili, seeds removed, roughly chopped
            1/2 tsp crushed dried red chilies
            1/4 red pepper, roughly chopped
            1/4 red onion, roughly chopped
            1 garlic clove
            2 tbsp olive oil
            4oz instant polenta
            4 boneless and skinless chicken breasts
            1 tbsp olive oil

For the arugula pesto

4oz arugula leaves
            1 garlic clove
            1 tbsp pine nuts, toasted
            1 lime, juice only
            8 tbsp olive oil

For the roast potatoes

3 large baking potatoes
            4 tbsp olive oil
            1 tsp paprika

1. Preheat the oven to 400F.

2. Place the tomatoes, chili, crushed chilies, red pepper, red onion and garlic into a food processor and blend to a paste.

3. Stir in two tablespoons of olive oil and season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

4. Place the paste into a bowl, add the polenta and mix together well.

5. Place the chicken breasts between two pieces of plastic wrap and flatten slightly with a meat mallet or rolling pin, then season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

6. Heat a frying pan until hot and add one tablespoon of olive oil and the chicken breasts. Cook on each side, until golden-brown, then place onto a baking tray. Spread the polenta mixture over the top of the chicken breasts then transfer to the oven and roast for 12-15 minutes, until the chicken is completely cooked through. (If the polenta topping is still slightly soft, place the chicken under a grill on its highest setting for 2-3 minutes, until crisp and golden-brown.)

7. For the pesto, place the arugula, garlic, pine nuts, lime juice and olive oil into a clean food processor and blend to a fine paste.

8. For the roast potatoes, slice the potatoes lengthways into wedges and place into a bowl with the olive oil, paprika and salt and freshly ground black pepper. Toss well to coat the potatoes, then place on a baking tray. Transfer to the oven to roast for 20-25 minutes, until cooked through and crisp on the outside.

9. To serve, place each chicken breast onto a warmed plate with a dollop of pesto and a few roast potatoes alongside.

10. Nom...

Comment

• Originally posted by V View Post
              Mystery Chicken

No... no mystery about it. My kids used to ask me "What is that smell?" when I cooked it. Trust me... so will you.

4 boneless chicken breasts, skinless
              2 tbsp plain flour
              sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
              2 tbsp olive oil
              1 tbsp butter
              1 garlic clove, crushed
              4 bay leaves
              4fl oz dry white wine
              2 tbsp capers, well-rinsed
              1 tbsp lemon juice
              2 tbsp flatleaf parsley

1. Place a frying pan on the heat and add the oil and butter.

2. Place the chicken breasts between two sheets of plastic wrap and pound flat.

3. Season the flour with the sea salt and black pepper.

4. Tear the chicken into pieces, then toss in the seasoned flour. Fry the chicken until cooked through. Remove from the heat.

5. Add the garlic, bay leaves, capers and seasoning to the frying pan. Add the wine and return to the heat.

6. Add the lemon juice and parsley leaves.

7. Plate up the chicken, drizzle over the sauce and nom with salad and bread.
              I do this, but with whole breasts (teehee) pounded flat Paillard-style with extra garlic and no capers. Still, REALLY good.
              "Here, young man, your hormones are raging. Let's go in this bedroom, and we'll engage in some homosexual acts. You'll find you like it." - Rep. Ken Peterson, R-Billings

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one." - Don Draper

~
              *RATED BEST POSTER OF 2011 - CHIPOTLE FAN FORUMS*~

Comment

• I'm addicted to capers... and would add them to a PBJ if I could.

Comment

• Never had them. What do they taste like?
                  Touch it. Touch my fuzziness! It's like petting a kitten!
                  Now drop the pants and take the bacon!
                  POUTINE AND CELINE DION FOR EVERYONE!!!!

Comment

• Sort of like olives... but more tangy.

Comment

• Capers kind of look like peas. And I agree, they are great.

Comment

• Originally posted by V View Post
                        Sort of like olives... but more tangy.
                        DANGER!! DANGER!! Not an olive guy.

Comment

• I hate capers. Specifically because they remind me of olives.
                          "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• Originally posted by Abraham Smashington View Post
                            I hate capers. Specifically because they remind me of olives.

Comment

• Capers look nothing like olives, but they do have that taste. And I like black olives, great on sammiches and pizza.

Shit, I want some lemon caper chicken for dinner. Say, I could take Jake's chicken boob receipe and instead of sauce just create a lemon butter sauce with the capers.

Brilliant!

Comment

• Add just a hint of rosemary... and all the fail you have earned in the last 2 months will be washed away.

Comment

Working...
                                X