Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vin, the GF wants to know where you buy your stilton?

Comment

• Originally posted by BillyG View Post
      Vin, the GF wants to know where you buy your stilton?
      I get my cheeses at Wegman's, a grocery chain up here... but you can order online.

http://www.igourmet.com/shoppe/prodv...eeses&prod=882

Comment

• Cool. I guess she checked at the grocery store outside her neighborhood and they didn't have it. No shock, because she lives as far outside of Houston as is possible, and until a couple years ago nothing was out there but her neighborhood and that tiny ass store.

Comment

• Originally posted by V View Post
          I get my cheeses at Wegman's,
          REP-RE-ZZZZZEENNNNNTTTT!!!
          I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Comment

• I was at a Wegman's once. It's a classy place.

Pathmark on the other hand, good lord!
            "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

• Bulgogi

1/4 cup Japanese or Korean dark soy sauce
              3 tablespoons granulated sugar
              1 tablespoon vegetable oil, plus more for grilling
              1 teaspoon sesame oil
              1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
              1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
              3 medium garlic cloves, crushed, peeled, and grated
              3 scallions, root and dark green ends trimmed, and 6-inch stalks minced
              2 pounds marbled sirloin or rib steak, sliced paper thin against the grain(you can find this at any Korean/Asian market)

1: Whisk together the soy sauce and sugar in a bowl until the sugar is completely dissolved. Stir in the vegetable and sesame oils, sesame seeds, garlic, red pepper, and scallions until well combined. Add the beef, tossing it with your hands to make sure it is evenly coated on all sides. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate it, allowing the meat to marinate for 45 minutes. Drain the beef, shaking off the excess liquid and scraping off the scallion and garlic.

2: Grill the beef, laying the slices flat on a table hibachi. If using a grill pan, brush a generous amount of vegetable oil on the cooking surface and heat it over medium-high heat. When it starts to smoke, add the beef slices and grill to your preferred doneness, but no more than 5 seconds on each side, so the beef remains tender.

3: Serve with rice, noodles, or veg... then nom.

Here's the dipping sauce to go with. It's optional, of course... but SO fucking worth making!

1 garlic clove, crushed
              1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
              1 tablespoon finely minced scallion
              1/2 tablespoon Korean chili paste (gochu jang)
              1 tablespoon sugar
              1 teaspoon sesame oil
              1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
              1 tablespoon rice vinegar
              1/4 cup soy sauce

1: Sprinkle the garlic with a little salt, and mince to a paste. Place the garlic paste in a mixing bowl, add all the remaining ingredients, and blend well. Serve immediately or keep in the refrigerator for a few days.

Comment

• For those of you unable to buy HP Sauce...

Just make it. You will not be able to tell the difference. Promise.

10 tomatoes, chopped
                1 cup brown sugar
                1 onion, chopped
                1 lemon, sliced
                1/4 cup white vinegar
                1 tablespoon salt
                1 tablespoon allspice
                1 teaspoon pepper
                1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
                1/4 teaspoon hot sauce (Any will work... but I'm partial to Crystal)

1: Combine all ingredients in a dutch oven or large pot.

2: Bring to a boil, then lower heat and cook uncovered for an hour, stirring occasionally.

3: Strain through a food mill or fine colander, then bottle in hot sterilized jars.

Comment

• Everyone should know how to make a red sauce, the right way. Which means experimenting. No red sauce recipe should be the same (it should be made to YOUR tastes). That being said, here are the basics.

Big bag of ripe tomatoes (pricey right now).
                  Olive oil
                  Butter
                  1 Onion - Vidalia (only heathens use other onions)
                  1 Bell Pepper
                  1 whole clove of garlic
                  Celery (2 stalks)
                  Red wine (I prefer a Burgundy)

I go for fresh (yes, I have a herb garden)
                  Basil, Rosemary, Oregano, Thyme, Savory, Bay Leaf (not fresh - went for the bottle).

Tomatoes (save a few for later)? Peel. (Boiling helps, shock them with ice water when the skin starts to peel. Squeeze out the seeds. Chop up the tomatoes and then puree.

Veggies? Chop those bad boys up (except the celery - I just use the whole stalks). Throw them in a pot. Butter and olive oil? 2ish tablespoons. When the butter starts to melt, add the tomato puree. Throw in about a 1/4 of the wine (more later). Those tomatoes you saved? Chop those bad boys up. Add to the mix.

Herbs? This more than anything...to your tastes. I start with about 1 1/4 cup of basil. Add about a 1/2 cup of the remaining herbs (while retaining about 1/2 cup of basil and oregano to add while cooking - depending on how it tastes). Also, don't dump the herbs in all at once. Blend them into the sauce. Little at a time. This should simmer on the lowest setting possible. Bare minimum? 6 hours.

You should always make a big pot of this sauce. Freeze what you don't use that night. Ages extremely well.

Simple, no? Can't stress enough. EXPERIMENT. Do a few smaller batches until you figure out a herb combination that works for you. Also, feel free to add other vegetables (I hear people actually add mushrooms, carrots and the like to their sauce).
                  We are so accustomed to disguise ourselves to others that in the end we become disguised to ourselves.
                  - Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• Originally posted by Howard View Post
                    Also, feel free to add other vegetables (I hear people actually add mushrooms, carrots and the like to their sauce).
                    holla

mushrooms, chopped zucchini, and spinach usually
                    "Here, young man, your hormones are raging. Let's go in this bedroom, and we'll engage in some homosexual acts. You'll find you like it." - Rep. Ken Peterson, R-Billings

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one." - Don Draper

~
                    *RATED BEST POSTER OF 2011 - CHIPOTLE FAN FORUMS*~

Comment

• I lean more towards the earthier tasting 'shrooms like Portobellas...

Not a big fan of green pepper in anything. It tends to overpower the dish. I'll go with yellow, orange, or purple, since the flavors are super mild.

Regardless of my quirks, a pot of your sauce is now bubbling on low in my kitchen, Howard...

No burgundy, though... I used a barely drinkable Shiraz I got as a "welcome to the building" gift. Time will tell.

Comment

• MUST HAVE MUSHROOMS. MUST MUST MUST!
                        If I were Shé, do you think I'd be operating a taco truck? Shé brings hope. Shé rights the wrongs. Unfortunately, Shé is a myth.

Comment

• All about mushrooms and shallots.
                          "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

• something I forgot to mention.....volumes on fresh vs dried herbs is drastically different.
                            We are so accustomed to disguise ourselves to others that in the end we become disguised to ourselves.
                            - Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• Originally posted by Bentley View Post
                              All about mushrooms and shallots.
                              *ears perk up*

Shallots, you say?

Hmmm...

Comment

• I'm doing carne asada with oven fries.

Carne Asada Paste:
                                • 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
                                • 6 tablespoons paprika
                                • 3 tablespoons ground black pepper
                                • 1 tablespoon ground cumin
                                • 3 tablespoons onion powder
                                • 3 tablespoons garlic powder
                                • 1 tablespoon ground allspice
                                • 1 tablespoon ground dried thyme
                                • 1/4 cup olive oil

Combine all ingredients until a thick paste forms, adding more olive oil if needed. Rub onto your choice of meat (I usually do skirt steak, but used flatiron steak today since it was on sale) - cut these amounts in half if you use less than 3 lb. of meat.
                                Add 1/2 cup of orange juice, cover, refrigerate for 6 hours.

Grill ya damn meat.
                                "Here, young man, your hormones are raging. Let's go in this bedroom, and we'll engage in some homosexual acts. You'll find you like it." - Rep. Ken Peterson, R-Billings

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one." - Don Draper

~
                                *RATED BEST POSTER OF 2011 - CHIPOTLE FAN FORUMS*~

Comment

Working...
                                X