Help, Helper Monkee!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help, Helper Monkee!

Okay, so... The wife gave me a green light to upgrade my machine. And not just a sissy upgrade, but the full deal... For the most part.

I've not done an overhaul on my machine in five years, so you can imagine how it's getting pretty dated. She still runs the games that are out now, but only on low or medium settings and with mediocre FPS.

Basically, I'm looking for the following parts:

Mobo/CPU/Heatsink (to fit in my ballistic steel ATX case)
    RAM
    Video Card(s)
    Hard Drive (500gb+)
    Cooling Stuffs (I'd like to run my case with the side of the case attached for a change)

As for performance, something that'll play current games at max with ridiculous FPS.

I'd like to build a machine that'll last (with minimal upgrades (such as RAM, video card)) another five years. So, yeah. Not sure exactly what's out there at this point. Duo, quad, SDRAM, DDRRAM, FGHJKRAM... No idea anymore, so it's kind of hard to get more detailed info to ya.

Lemme know what you're thinking for the various types of stuff and we can go from there, I guess.

I say fuck that noise, buy a HD set and either a 360 or PS3.
    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

And just upgrade your graphics card. You have PCI Express in there?
      "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

waste it on a membership to brazzers.com
        Instagram: thepatronsaintofcheeseburgers

Comment

Haha.

Comment

Hmmm sounds like a early xmas for u!!! I'll do some research on the best stuff... and shoot you some prices/specs...

you prefer Core 2 duo or Quad core?

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
              And just upgrade your graphics card. You have PCI Express in there?
              No, which is why I'm needing to do a full upgrade. Otherwise I would've already added another gig of RAM and a PCI-E card.

Originally posted by Alwyn View Post
              Hmmm sounds like a early xmas for u!!! I'll do some research on the best stuff... and shoot you some prices/specs...

you prefer Core 2 duo or Quad core?
              I honestly don't know.
              Last edited by PopeTiberii; 10-23-2008, 07:17 PM.

Comment

the newer core 2 duo with the 45nm chips seem to be the best bet because they are cheaper and runs cooler and uses less power... i like to use them, because these days it not really about the CPU anymore, but the mobo and the ram and ofcourse the GPU...

Comment

Core 2 Duo it is, then.

Comment

Oh yeah... And I've got a 500 watt PSU. That enough, or will I need to upgrade that as well?

Comment

I believe I have a 550. I may upgrade if I were you. Especially if it's a tad old. My 500 watt one was dying on me which meant my graphic card died.

Comment

It's only about a year old - I replaced it when my old 350 watt died.

Comment

Well, I'm just saying. You can one for under a hundred or so. just an idea.

Comment

Apparently they've either come down in price, or my mind thought they were much more expensive than they really were.

Comment

Well, after doing a bunch of research... And flailing about a bit... I think I've found myself some options, though advice on these choices is most certainly welcome.

For the video cards, I'm leaning toward the Radeon, even though it'll be my first Radeon over Nvidia evar. The only reason is because I hear all over that the Nvidia card is freaking giant and may not fit in some cases.

This setup will cost between $720.94 and $971.93 depending on my final choices.

Thoughts?
                              Last edited by PopeTiberii; 11-20-2008, 09:14 PM. Reason: Typos

Comment

Working...
                              X