Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forrest Gump: A nice little story or conservative propaganda?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forrest Gump: A nice little story or conservative propaganda?

I bring this up because I was outside while Crafto was having a smoke and he mentioned that he watched Forrest Gump this weekend and how much he enjoyed it. I then mentioned that the whole movie is conservative propaganda if you actually look past the "Wow, Tom Hanks is playing a retard and Gary Sinese has no legs". He said he didn't see that.

But if you look at the two main characters in the movie: Jenny and Forrest it's clear as fucking day.

Jenny is a free spirit and thinker (liberal) who just wants to leave the confines of an abusive home and meaningless existance in Alabama. She of course does what anyone in the 60's would do: become a Hippie. She actively particpates in the changes that were happening in the time (marches, protests, etc). And what does she get for it? Abused, addicted to drugs, and AIDS. And not "2008 AIDS" but "1980 DEATH AIDS".

Forrest is a nice good 'ole boy (republican)who aimlessly goes through life while rarely actively particpating in anything. He stumbles into historic situations without any thoughts besides "I gotta pee". While doing what the "man" tells him to (play football and get a scholorship! Man, college is worth it, join the army, etc) he comes into fame, fortune and money.

What does Jenny get? AIDS DEATH. But thank god she was able to spit out Haley "I see dead people and where is the blue fairy?" Joel Osment before this.

Don't think for yourself = MONEY, FAME, FORTUNE

Think for yourself= AIDS DEATH

Now while I fucking loved this movie when I was a wee 13 year old, my adult mind sees a piece of schmaltzy patronizing bullshit. The movie is technically (sound and FX were amazing at the time) done quite well, but it ultimately falls flat. And this movie beat Pulp Fiction at the Oscars how?!

Maybe I'm just a huge cynic, but who cares? Anyone with me? Everyone against me?
    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Wow, that's way more thought than I have ever put into Forrest "Shit Happens" Gump. I see your point of view, but as I haven't sat down and watched the movie since it came out on VHS, I really haven't thought much about it.

Now if you want to talk political undertones in film, I love The Hills Have Eyes remake. I know it's not nearly as subtle are Forrest, but it's kinda funny nonetheless.
    Blog Time! http://plasticlovin.blogspot.com/

Reporter: "Is Ringo Starr the best drummer in the world?"
    John Lennon: "Ringo isn't even the best drummer in The Beatles."

Forget it Viet, it's Hockentown. - Russ

Lord Hocken's gaze was that of the Green Horned Mindraper.

Comment

That's another one as well. Ridiculous.
      "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

Wow. Not sure I read as much into Gump as that. Hmmm. Good points, but I think you might be looking for something where it does not exist. Something to ponder, certainly. Crap, maybe, in addition to the slow failure of my joints/body even a few months after 30, I'm not as liberal as I thought. As Mom would say: "Life is a journey." We were told that in massage school as well, which I hated(the cliche, not the school). But as I have matured, lord help me, other avenues of though thave opened up. But to the point, I never thought about that movie like that. This type of movie topic is what I consider "discussion." Go Podcaust!!!! Wake up chud! It's suppose to be about intelligent discourse and fun. Oh well fuck it. Can't believe I haven't stopped typing yet. I stopped.
        Touch it. Touch my fuzziness! It's like petting a kitten!
        Now drop the pants and take the bacon!
        POUTINE AND CELINE DION FOR EVERYONE!!!!

Comment

I'm not trying to pretend I'm the first person to ever see the movie like this but this move just rubs me the wrong way.

Comment

Maybe propaganda is the wrong word. It's just that is the theme I get from this flick.

Comment

Maybe instead of propaganda, or Propagandhi, it was the point of view of a film maker looking back on the period of his youth with the eyes of a father/older man. Or, he was sucking Enron's financial cock. Who knows? Follow the money.

Comment

Either way everyone needs to agree that this shouldn't have won over Pulp Fiction. Right? RIGHT?

Comment

Maybe. But feel good movies always triumph over edgy.

Comment

Or, FUCK YOU YOU"RE WRONG!

Comment

That's probably it. Hah.

Comment

Wow Rob, never ever thought of the Gump like that... interesting, and what about Buba??? I agree about Pulp Fiction, this is one of my favorite movies!
                        "Can't really bench press anything when you're sporting less than an inch, it's common with Asian males... FUCK!" ~ nerdious

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter S. Thompson

Recipient of "The Best Post of the Day Award" : 1

Comment

Most people that came into direct contact with Gump ended up fucked in one way or another. Jenny had AIDS, Bubba blew the fuck up, Dan lost his legs, Kennedy was shot, etc etc. Haha.

Comment

Haaaa, even the black panthers...your so negative I love it!
                            "Can't really bench press anything when you're sporting less than an inch, it's common with Asian males... FUCK!" ~ nerdious

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter S. Thompson

Recipient of "The Best Post of the Day Award" : 1

Comment

Even Dr Pepper aint what it used to be

Comment

Working...
                              X