Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trepanation....INCA STYLE!

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...-skulls_2.html

This procedure fascinates me. It turns out the Inca's were highly skilled skull surgeons. For those of you that don't know:

From Wikipedia

is surgery in which a hole is drilled or scraped into the skull, thus exposing the dura mater in order to treat health problems related to intracranial diseases, though in the modern era it is used only to treat epidural and subdural hematomas and for surgical access for certain other neurosurgical procedures, such as intracranial pressure monitoring.

Trepanation was carried out for both medical reasons and mystical practices for a long time: evidence of trepanation has been found in prehistoric human remains from Neolithic times onwards, per cave paintings indicating that people believed the practice would cure epileptic seizures, migraines, and mental disorders.[1] In prehistoric times, trepanation was thought to cure diseases by letting evil spirits escape. The bone that was trepanned was kept by the prehistoric people and worn as charms to keep evil spirits away.

The modern medical procedure of corneal transplant surgery uses a technique known as trepanning or trephining, however the operation is conducted on the eye (not the skull), with an instrument called a trephine.
    Crazy stuff. Also there are people today that drill the holes into their heads by themselves.

Although considered today to be pseudoscience, the practice of trepanation for other purported medical benefits continues. The most prominent explanation for these benefits is offered by Dutchman Bart Huges (alternatively spelled Bart Hughes). He is sometimes called Dr. Bart Hughes although he did not complete his medical degree. Hughes claims that trepanation increases "brain blood volume" and thereby enhances cerebral metabolism in a manner similar to cerebral vasodilators such as ginkgo biloba. No published results have supported these
    Woo! Go Hughes's!

Once again, fucking fascinating.
    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Re: Trepanation....INCA STYLE!

How do you keep up with all this shit? Do you get RSS feeds or something? I'm honestly blown away that you have time to find all this interesting shit.
    Instagram: thepatronsaintofcheeseburgers

Comment

My job has insane fucking crunch times, and insanely boring downtime.
      "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

Amen to that...last week was crunch time for me. Hopefully this week continues to be chill
        Instagram: thepatronsaintofcheeseburgers

Comment

Working...
        X