The Best Songs You've (Probably) Never Heard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Best Songs You've (Probably) Never Heard

I've been thinking of this a bit lately for reasons that escape me. It's a damn shame there's so much great music out there that will just never get heard. I had in mind mainly great songs from established artists that probably SHOULD have been hits, but for some reason never made the cut, or from bands that ALMOST made the big time, but the songs are so fucking great, you shake your head in wonderment at how that could be.

I tend to focus mainly on the lyrics to a song first. If they're shit, it's hard for me to get behind a piece of music, no matter how good the music itself is. And standard, by the numbers music gets a pass in my book if the song's lyrics are fucking brilliant. So that's what it usually takes for a song to meet the criteria of this thread for me. Feel free to note why your selections are on your lists, as I'm kind of curious.

Anyway, a partial list would include:

"Our Story" The Judybats
    "Evening Dress" The Smithereens
    "Do What You Like" Foreigner
    "Beautiful World" and "Wayfaring Sons" by Colin Hay
    "I Ain't No Nice Guy" Motorhead, Featuring Ozzy Osbourne
    "Turn of a Friendly Card - Parts I and II" Alan Parsons Project
    "There's No Way Out of Here" David Gilmour
    "Free Four" and "Two Suns in the Sunset" Pink Floyd
    "The Tide is Turning" Roger Waters
    "You Are the Everything" R.E.M.
    "Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner" Warren Zevon
    "Sally's Pigeons" Cyndi Lauper
    "Into the Arena" Michael Schencker Group*
    "Sink Your Teeth Into That" Talas
    "We Don't Do That Anymore" and "What Am I Supposed to Do?" Sidewinders

What are some of the greatest tunes you've ever heard. . . that likely no one else has?

* This one is an exception to the general rule in that it's an instrumental. But I'm sure Matt will back me up on the awesomeness of the rhythm MSG is crankin' out on this tune. Every guitarist I ever played it for sat up & took notice.
    I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

I'll have to think about this one but I want to quickly say "hell yes, Colin Hay".

Comment

I'll add "Another White Dash" by Butterfly Boucher. Saw her open for Sarah McLachlan on her last tour, and liked the song so much I bought the CD. I heard this song played on the muzak track at my local Home Depot once. I imagine it got some radio airplay somewhere, but I never heard that. But it's a nifty lil' tune.

2012 Avatar Theme: Jan-Red Borg. Feb-Red Borg, Mar-Red Borg, Apr-Red Borg, May-Red Borg. Jun-Red Borg. Jul-Red Borg. Aug-Red Borg. Sep-Red Borg. Oct-Red Borg. Nov-Red Borg. Dec-Red Borg.

Comment

Colin Hay is amazing. I'm a bit more partial to "Waiting For My Real Life To Begin".

I'm also entranced, amazed, and in love with Melody Gardot.

Comment

Oh, so many tunes I can name:

"Die Like Someone" Eve's Plum (pre-Vitamin C Colleen Fitzpatrick!)
          "Alex' Aphrodisiac" Caterwaul (the song's inspired by A Clockwork Orange. Also recommend "Not Today")
          "Someday" Fuzzy
          "Grand Designs" Rush (I could be here all day with Rush tunes that deserve airplay)
          "I Will Dare" Replacements
          "Favorite Writer" REM and Linda Hopper (Magnapop)
          "Photograph" REM/Michael Stipe and Natalie Merchant

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy225 View Post
            "I Will Dare" Replacements
            I wrote this script in my final year of uni and "I Will Dare" was the score for the opening scene as we met the lead character. I wrote it into the script and everything (even though that's not really "right") so that, if people were so inclined, they could hear my version of the soundtrack while reading. Excellent pick, Tim!

I'd throw "Alex Chilton" and "Left of the Dial" on there as well; they may be obvious picks to alt-rock aficionados but Joe Public couldn't tell the Replacements from the Rembrandts. He should be able to, though. The Replacements should have been bigger than Oasis.

There are so many songs Bob Mould either wrote or co-wrote that I want to mention now, but I'll spare you cats the essay. Keeping the obscure spirit of the thread in mind, though, I will say "Tilted" by Sugar. It's off Beaster, a less well known EP comprised of material deemed too "dark" for its predecessor, Copper Blue. Like everything else Sugar did, it's just an unbelievably potent blend of pop and post-punk/alt rock. They're so influential (still) and their records are as fresh as ever. Incredible track.
            "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

*Mouldfist*, Bobby! Excellent choice.

The reason I picked "I Will Dare" was it's one of the better Replacement songs, and I'd seldom hear it on the radio, even on college stations. Also, I'd heard "Alex Chilton" on the way to my niece's party, which was a hell of a "Holy shit! COOL!" moment, as none of the stations I listen to play anything from the band.

Comment

*MouldForPresidentFist*

Thanks, mate!

That is awesome about "Alex Chilton!" I've never heard a single Replacements song on any radio stations here, even on the supposedly "too cool" hipster rock shows. When I found out it was on one of those earlier Rock Band titles, I subjected some friends to a truly harrowing vocal rendition... sans ale! That's the true power of The Replacements; they get me singing without alcohol.

I kind of touched on this already in my ultra-gushing "Amazement Management Thread" a few months ago, but it still amazes/annoys me that local heroes Jetplane Landing didn't find a bigger audience. Songs like "I Opt Out" and "Conventional Thought" could've been hit singles. They're probably the closest to the original thread idea I can think of, because when I listen to them I literally think of how few people know them and just shake my head.
                "The bear is a solitary animal. They like their space. They live in a magic circle. They don't mind if you're, like, a mile away. But if you get inside their circle, they will maul you." - Anonymous

Comment

I never heard of 'em - must resolve that.

Comment

"I Opt Out".

"Brave Gravity".

"Calculate the Risk".

Best played LOUD!

Comment

"Baby, I'm A Fool"

Best listened to while drinking and being maudlin.

Comment

Originally posted by V View Post
                        Colin Hay is amazing. I'm a bit more partial to "Waiting For My Real Life To Begin".
                        Thought of including that, but it got some significant recognition being used in "Scrubs", which kind of revitalized his career in a small way, for a time. So, many may have heard that one.

Comment

Working...
                        X