Films That Respects Your Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Films That Respects Your Life

Not necessarily a film that connects with you emotionally or resonates with a time in your life, but a film that shows slices of your life that maybe nobody else appreciates. I'm really most interested in hearing from those not in NY/LA areas, which have been shown to death as far as landmarks and culture go. Lisa, Tim, Ed, Iggy, what about the places in NY and LA that were shown in tiny roles like some corner shop or bar that the average viewer doesn't know?

Or for our pond hopping amigos, Ben and Bobby. What films work for you guys on that level. What film has some guy walking down a street in Belfast that you can point at and say this hits it right on the head. I go to that cafe! Or, that actor nailed the attitude of the city at this time perfectly.

And Russ, well we can all watch Dallas and cry for you.

RoboCop hits it right on the head.

Everyday in the summer, I feel just like Emil.
    Me quick one want slow

Comment

Oddly enough, Boogie Nights shows the Valley very well. So does Adam Carolla's movie The Hammer.

People don't seem to get the idea that LA much anywhere else is made up of distinct neighborhoods. Miracle Mile is another great example.
      "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

Man. Reality Bites. Perfectly captured my West U days.
        We are so accustomed to disguise ourselves to others that in the end we become disguised to ourselves.
        - Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

'A Simple Plan' absolutely NAILS the MN winter, especially in the small towns. I drive through Delano (where many of the exteriors were filmed) all the time.

'Grumpy Old Men' also does a good job of nailing the ice fishing scene. There's more truth in that movie than I'd care to admit...

'Fargo' gets the environment right. The MN accent is way overdone, but the day-to-day OH MY GOD THIS WINTER WILL NEVER END feeling that the film conveys is dead on.
          Originally posted by Martin
          Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
          Originally posted by gravedigger
          Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
          And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
          Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Comment

Gummo pretty much got it right.
            Touch it. Touch my fuzziness! It's like petting a kitten!
            Now drop the pants and take the bacon!
            POUTINE AND CELINE DION FOR EVERYONE!!!!

Comment

Die Hard perfectly details what Christmas in LA is like.

And Repo Man pretty much sums up my kind of humor.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Hocken View Post
                Die Hard perfectly details what Christmas in LA is like.
                Fuckin' California...come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs...
                Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.

Comment

Yeah, it's pretty goddamn phony. Isn't it?

Oh well

Comment

Miracle Mile is my jam, mostly because all that shit was filmed...well, right in my neighborhood.

Also, Minnie and Moskowitz. They eat at Pink's, Minnie works at LACMA, they drink at the Frolic Room at one point, etc. etc.
                    "Here, young man, your hormones are raging. Let's go in this bedroom, and we'll engage in some homosexual acts. You'll find you like it." - Rep. Ken Peterson, R-Billings

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one." - Don Draper

~
                    *RATED BEST POSTER OF 2011 - CHIPOTLE FAN FORUMS*~

Comment

I can relate to Clerks quite a bit, both on a personal level and 'cause I know the area the film was made in (Leonardo, NJ, plus the magazine I worked for at the time is on prominent display on the racks in Dante's store).

Garden State, The Sopranos, Atlantic City, War of the Worlds (fucking Howell, NJ - my hometown, before my family moved to Jackson!). All have elements I can personally relate to or have locales I used to frequent.

Comment

'Clerks' is 100% DEAD ON in regards to the retail life. It perfectly captures the boredom AND the customer-hatred that all retail personnel feel.

Comment

I briefly worked at a Cumberland Farms on weekends back in college, and Smith fucking nailed it. The boredom was soul-crushing, and it instilled in me a life-long hatred for anything coffee related.

Comment

My last girlfriend said I was exactly like Ben Kingsley in "You Kill Me"... but without the whole killing and going to AA thing.

Comment

Yer a Pollack?

(Not judgin'. I'm still Angus Bethune.)
                              Me quick one want slow

Comment

Working...
                              X