movies you've seen and would recommend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• movies you've seen and would recommend

so since ari has never seen heat, leon, OR wargames; i figured i would start a thread on movies that others would recommend watching. by the way, don't recommend me movies that i have but haven't opened... or i'll kill you. or at least attempt to in cod4.

so here it goes:

brazil - this movie is insane! a futuristic urban dystopian city with a great cast. people have compared it to the likes of 1984 by george orwell. basically a movie about how far one is willing to go for a piece of happyness. if you're a true movie aficionado, i would really recommend securing the criterion collection box set and watch EVERYTHING. it's amazing how far movie studios and excutives, especially the notorious sid sheinberg, will go to get their way...

primer - wow. just wow. if you haven't seen previews or read reviews for this movie yet, don't. just go out and watch it. be aware that you might have to watch it more than once though. it received the grand jury prize at sundance in 2004. this indie flick was written, directed, produced (for $7000. yes $7000), edited, etc. by shane carruth who was a former engineer with a degree in mathematics. it's a sci-fi flick so you know, in case that turns you off... which it shouldn't because you're on a nerdy forum.

fritz lang's metropolis - another futuristic urban dystopian film. a silent film done really really well. the actor's motions and faces portray everything you need to know. and the sets are amazing.

nothing - written and directed by vincenzo natali, who also wrote and directed cube. basically a movie that answers the question "what if i could wish it all away." just slapstick and funny. i enjoyed it throughly.

eagle vs shark - indie new zealand film about awkward people in an awkward relationship. loren horsley is extremely attractive in this movie as a shy nerd. especially when she plays as the "dangerous person." jemaine clement (of flight of the conchords) IS jarrod, the unattrractive dorky nerd. people have compared it to napoleon dynamite but i feel it's more along the lines of science of sleep.

speaking of which... science of sleep - written and directed by michel gondry. i love his films, so it shouldn't come as a surprise that i really liked this movie. i totally dug the story and surrealism.

that's all for now i guess.
    The infamous Naruto pictures. SafAri.

Re: movies you've seen and would recommend

City of God - This is the gem of all gems. Buy this movie if you haven't seen it. It's in my top 10 films of all time. Incredible story (true story) about the crazy shit that was and still is happening in Brazil. See this ASAP.

Instagram: thepatronsaintofcheeseburgers

Comment

Jesus this is a loaded forum topic. And since the majority of people here are film buffs, there is no way I can come close to naming movies people haven't seen....But I'll list some of my favs...

Off the top of my head: Freaked, Slither, The Monster Squad, Dog Soldiers, Trekkies, King of Kong, Darkon, Brainscan (totally awesome for a 90's flick...)

"Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

i only started this because of ari's post on leon and heat. and plus, there are movies out there that have been skipped over, even by film buffs, that deserves some love.

i totally agree with brainscan. i've been trying to find that on dvd but have had no luck so far...

darkon is next on my netflix list.

and i keep seeing dog soldiers come up on imdb and a few other movie sites but haven't checked it out yet. but if you vouch for it, i'll put it in my netflix list.

Comment

IT's not the best movie, but I love the monster designs. In regards to Dog Soldiers.

Brainscan is great because it's a totally 90's movie (CD ROMS! WHITE ZOMBIE! EDDIE FURLONG!) and the fact that it's written by Andrew Kevin Walker. He goes from this, to Seven. Awesome.
          "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

dude, didn't you know that in hollywood, you only fail upwards?

brainscan is a total 90s film. and you've also got a character loosely based off of freddy kruger. you just can't go wrong with that flick. it's too too awesome.

Comment

Shit, I thought no one remembered Brain Scan! That movie was greatness when I was a kid!
              Blog Time! http://plasticlovin.blogspot.com/

Reporter: "Is Ringo Starr the best drummer in the world?"
              John Lennon: "Ringo isn't even the best drummer in The Beatles."

Forget it Viet, it's Hockentown. - Russ

Lord Hocken's gaze was that of the Green Horned Mindraper.

Comment

I rented that movie once a week for months when I was younger. I totally wanted to bone the chick that Eddie has a crush on. God hormones are ridiculous. I watched this recently and was appalled at how non attractive that chick is. But in my defense there was a pseudo boob shot near the end, so I prolly just jerked it to that while in slow motion.

Also, Skeletor himself, Frank Langella, is in this. So awesome. I'm going to go buy this tonight after work. I only have a VHS copy of this. That cannot stand!

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
                  I rented that movie once a week for months when I was younger. I totally wanted to bone the chick that Eddie has a crush on. God hormones are ridiculous. I watched this recently and was appalled at how non attractive that chick is. But in my defense there was a pseudo boob shot near the end, so I prolly just jerked it to that while in slow motion.

Also, Skeletor himself, Frank Langella, is in this. So awesome. I'm going to go buy this tonight after work. I only have a VHS copy of this. That cannot stand!
                  wow... just, wow. that first part made me lqtm.

Comment

"Lqtm"?

Man, I've slacked on my acronym learning.

Comment

laugh quietly to myself.

Comment

lqtm is what people really should be saying. it's not like one could actually laugh out loud. unless it was stupendously funny and deserves a loud laugh. or if one couldn't control their laughter, then it would be fine for one to use lol.

Comment

lol sould only be reserved for super villians or maniacal people bent on taking over the world. or george bush.

Comment

You feel quite strongly about this eh?

Comment

i kind of do. i mean, really, who actually laughs out loud at the computer?

Comment

Working...
                              X