Genre Discussion: Westerns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genre Discussion: Westerns

In honor of the imminent release of 'Red Dead Redemption', the game which will make Atlas shrug because the world has shut down.

This is probably my favorite genre of film. White hats vs black hats...gun battles...stage coaches...saloons...whores with a heart of gold...gunslingers...bank robberies.

Simplistic to complex. Action to character study. American vs Italian. Straightforward to revisionist.

Every film is, at its core, a Western.
    Originally posted by Martin
    Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
    Originally posted by gravedigger
    Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
    And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
    Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Oddly enough, I've never been into the genre as a whole. A few modern films I liked (Tombstone, Quick and the Dead, Young Guns II lol), but in general, everything before the 90s just seem to draaaaaaag for me.
    "DO. DO lots of cocaine. DO."
    - Relationship Guru Matt.

Check out my music, if you please:
    http://soundcloud.com/musicisgreen
    http://cmillermusic.tumblr.com/

Comment

Westerns aren't typically 'fast paced', so I can kinda understand where you're coming from on the draaaaaaaag factor. I don't agree with it, but I understand and respect it.
      Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Miller View Post
        Oddly enough, I've never been into the genre as a whole. A few modern films I liked (Tombstone, Quick and the Dead, Young Guns II lol), but in general, everything before the 90s just seem to draaaaaaag for me.

Same here. Just not my bag. HOWEVER, if one can give me the name of ONE WESTERN that encapsulates how awesome they are I'd be happy to watch it.
        "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by Abraham Smashington View Post
          Same here. Just not my bag. HOWEVER, if one can give me the name of ONE WESTERN that encapsulates how awesome they are I'd be happy to watch it.
          The Magnificent Fucking Seven...

Comment

Once Upon a Time in the Goddamn West
            "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

High Fucking Noon

Comment

The Good, The Bad and the motherucking Ugly!

Comment

I SAID ONE. All of you fucks come to an agreement and let me know.
                  "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

Goddamn Tombstone! The western for every person that doesn't like westerns (heathens, the lot of you!).

My love of westerns began with Outlaw Josey Wales. I remember being a very young tyke, and on the rare occasion my dad had a weekend off I watched it with him. I had no idea what was really going on, or what I was seeing. I had to be around 4 or 5. I just knew his name was Josey Wales, and he was as cool a dude as I had ever seen on film. When I was a bit older I read in the TV Guide (remember those?) that it was coming on. I waited all weekend in order to catch it.

I will admit that I am totally not versed as well as I should be in John Wayne westerns. But yet I have watched Sukiyaki Western Django (highly recommended!) like 12 times.

Comment

I SAID ONE. All of you fucks come to an agreement and let me know.
                      In that case, I stand by Once Upon a Time.

Comment

It's hard for me to convey my love for Westerns to people, considering that I was raised on them and the whole Texas thing. I'm trying to get a few friends into them but no luck yet.
                        "Here, young man, your hormones are raging. Let's go in this bedroom, and we'll engage in some homosexual acts. You'll find you like it." - Rep. Ken Peterson, R-Billings

"You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one." - Don Draper

~
                        *RATED BEST POSTER OF 2011 - CHIPOTLE FAN FORUMS*~

Comment

I stand by Tombstone. Once Upon A Time In The West will not convert someone into a western lover. I mean, as Matt stated, so many movies are westerns at their core, so I never understood "omg wtf there is dust and horses" turning people off of a film, but Once Upon is for those that already appreciate the genre. You need something more popcorn and mainstream to hook someone in, then slowly introduce them to their ignorance.

Comment

Nope... M7.

How many badasses can you fit in one fucking film? Seven of them.

Comment

Modern Western: 'Tombstone'
                              Spaghetti Western: 'The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly' and/or 'Once Upon a Time in the West'.
                              Classic Western: 'The Searchers'
                              Revisionist Western: 'Unforgiven' or 'the Wild Bunch'

Comment

Working...
                              X