Overall Opinions on the Oscars for 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overall Opinions on the Oscars for 2009

The ceremony: had some funny moments but was otherwise unremarkable. Can we please get rid of the interpretive dance shit?

The awards: fairly predictable with only one real surprise: IB losing screenplay to THL. IB should have easily won that award.

I wanted IB to win everything, but I'm content with THL taking the top prizes. I loved the film and I really think that it will stand the overall test of time, whereas I think that the luster of 'Avatar' will wear off VERY, VERY soon.
    Originally posted by Martin
    Who the fuck is Kellan Lutz?
    Originally posted by gravedigger
    Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.
    And who the FUCK is Peaches Geldof?
    Kellan Lutz's girlfriend?

Totally predictable. I really wanted to see more IB love too. I was pretty buzzed so I had a good time, but if I was sober I'd have been miserable.
    Blog Time! http://plasticlovin.blogspot.com/

Reporter: "Is Ringo Starr the best drummer in the world?"
    John Lennon: "Ringo isn't even the best drummer in The Beatles."

Forget it Viet, it's Hockentown. - Russ

Lord Hocken's gaze was that of the Green Horned Mindraper.

Comment

I didn't watch it, only read a winner's list. Basterds definitely should have got screenplay, but really happy that Hurt Locker got so much love especially over Avatar.

Comment

Very predictable...Pretty content with the general pace/theme of the show...THL was very deserving of all the awards, however I would have liked to see AVTR/Cameron win the Directing Award...Not sure about the screenplay award, I haven't seen Serious Man or The Messenger, but IB>THL>UP as far as screenplay is concerned.
        Instagram: thepatronsaintofcheeseburgers

Comment

Still didn't think THL was all that. Minus the sound design. And the script winning was horseshit.
          "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

Basterds probably didn't win screenplay because QT had already won it. Still, it does present a good question.
            "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Rausch View Post
              Still didn't think THL was all that. Minus the sound design. And the script winning was horseshit.
              The script for THL was a barebones affair, an outline for the director to make something visually spectacular out of. It's to Bigelow's credit that she had the vision to make that script seem better than it was.

This was easily THE most predictable Oscar ceremony in years. Every category had a serious front runner, and no real 'out of left field' victories (apart from the THL script win) ruined the overall betting pool.
              Basically what I'm saying is that, based on what I've watched so far, we should all listen to Matt more often.

Comment

So how much did you lose, Matt?

Comment

I didn't gamble this time. I didn't see any real point, to be honest; the payoff was way too minimal to even bother.

Comment

The only left field win was for Precious for Best Adapated EVERYONE thought it was going to be Up in the Air. I was gunning for In the Loop.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Hocken View Post
                      The only left field win was for Precious for Best Adapated EVERYONE thought it was going to be Up in the Air. I was gunning for In the Loop.
                      I disagree. I had a hunch that 'Precious' would take home another big award, and this seemed to be the only viable category for that second win (Monique was a lock, after all).

'Up in the Air' is good but not great, and apparently Reitman is a first class douchebag that nobody likes. That kinda crap will get keep your ass from winning any awards.

Comment

What was Clooney's deal last night? We only half watched, but was he pissed off or just playing around?
                        "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

What was this I heard that they had Taylor Lautner show the horror montage? Apparently this give the old beared one at the other site a stroke.

Comment

Yep. Shit was wack. But it was neat to see Pinhead at the Oscars.

Comment

The academy not understanding a genre, parish the thought.

Comment

Working...
                              X