Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'SNL': 10 Ways to Fix It

from EW..
    Enough with the parade of sexy young startlets!

Buzzed-about twentysomethings with current projects to promote don't always make the best SNL hosts. Instead of a tepid Megan Fox or an abysmal January Jones, why not try Jane Lynch, who's massively popular on Glee, or Mo'Nique, star of sleeper hit Precious? Throw Nathan Fillion in there for some geek cred. It'd be less work for the writing staff, too, because these people are...(gasp) actually funny!

Leave the policy dissections to The Daily Show: SNL needs to go wacky and use its imagination in covering politics.

The great political sketches in SNL's history have rarely been biting commentary; instead, they've been goofy send-ups (Clinton, anyone?), silly prat-falls (Ford, duh), and over-the-top parodies (Bush, Bush, Gore, and — flashback time! — Ross Perot). Let The Daily Show take jabs at Fox News and CNN and bring SNL's political focus back toward energetic absurdity.

There is, in fact, such a thing as too much Kristen Wiig.

We've enjoyed Gilly, Penelope, Suze Orman, Target lady, closeted field reporter, and many of Wiig's other characters over the years, but even her biggest fans must be hitting a wall of fatigue. How can we appreciate the woman if she never leaves the screen? Not every sketch needs to center around a neurotic character with a verbal or facial tic. ''Sorry.''

Give us more frequent and more sharply focused pop-culture parodies.

Spoofs of popular shows and movies — those are the things that ought to be SNL's bread and butter. It a way to tease and be part of the specific cultural moment, plus it's funnier than yet another Target Lady trainwreck. Exhibit A: That wicked Twilight spoof starring Taylor Swift!

A multiplatinum CD shouldn't be a requirement for musical guests.

We miss the days of having to Google the artists we'd never heard of until just before they started rocking the SNL stage. Be a tastemaker, not a follower! The Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Regina Spektor: Yeah. U2: Nah. Consider up-and-coming indie acts like Florence and the Machine instead of having the Black Eyed Peas perform three songs. Bonus: You won't have to fight with Live With Regis & Kelly to book the bulk of your bands.

Set Seth Meyers free!

The ''Weekend Update'' anchor and head writer has, in recent stand-up acts and late-night appearances, offered up would-be SNL lines that were too racy or strange to air. Guess what? They're hilarious. (''According to a new study, college students put on six to nine pounds during their freshman year because of dramatic increases in beer-drinking and decreases in physical activity ... which means the rest of your 'freshman 15' is probably a baby.'') When ''Update'' gets aggressive, it's Meyers at his best. Unleash it! Let that jerk flag fly!

Not every black female character can be played by Kenan Thompson.

Ugh, do we even have to explain this one? We'd say the show's writers could have the guest host play, oh, Beyoncé or Michelle Obama, but only three black women have hosted the show in the last 10 years. Anyone spotting a ridiculous problem here?

More surprise guests during Weekend Update, please!

Any time Amy Poehler can find time to leave her important post at the Parks and Recreation Dept. to drop in on her old co-host Seth Meyers, it's a hit — and SNL should pencil in honorary cast member Justin Timberlake whenever possible, too. We loved when Star Trek stars Leonard Nimoy, Chris Pine, and Zachary Quinto popped by to convince longtime hardcore fans that it was okay to go and see the reboot. More surprise guests = a livelier show.

Easy does it on the '90s nostalgia.

It's sort of funny sometimes, but surely there's a funnier bit than a Natalie Merchant impression, or a riff on Beauty and the Beast. Topical humor is SNL's trademark; leave the ''hey, do you guys remember this?'' jokes to Family Guy.

Whatever happened to your great commercials?

The days of Schmitts Gay, Woomba, and Bad Idea/Mom Jeans seem long gone. We would argue for one new commercial per episode, but the ones this season (Bunny Business?!) have been so not funny, we confused them with real commercials. Make some more. And make them good.

There's only one way to fix SNL......

"Fuck Rob. Also, he has a podcast called Podcaust. Edgy Holocaust humor lulz indeed." - The Faraci

Comment

Wow. EW actually nailed it. Imagine that.
      We are so accustomed to disguise ourselves to others that in the end we become disguised to ourselves.
      - Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

This is list is right, that and they should remove Lorne Michaels' death grip on the show. I don't know who would take over but it would be a good idea to get some new blood in there.
        "Everything is amazing right now and no one is happy" - Louis C.K.

Comment

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://widgets.nbc.com/o/4727a250e66f9723/4b8ef87db948b8c5/4b8ea1f562e34a2d/7fd3bfbf/-cpid/c1ffa7305ca8b3a2" id="W4727a250e66f97234b8ef87db948b8c5" width="384" height="283"><param name="movie" value="http://widgets.nbc.com/o/4727a250e66f9723/4b8ef87db948b8c5/4b8ea1f562e34a2d/7fd3bfbf/-cpid/c1ffa7305ca8b3a2" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="allowNetworking" value="all" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /></object>
          "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

I fell asleep during most of last night's show, but I have to say that I laughed HARD at the home security commercial! If you've ever seen the real commercial, they nailed every single detail, which I loved. But then all the different men breaking in to murder her was hilarious. I really thought that was one of their better commercial parodies.

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-li...urity/1208834/
            Last edited by Lisa; 03-14-2010, 07:59 AM.
            2012 Avatar Theme - LADIES FROM THE GOLDEN AGE OF HOLLYWOOD. January: Ava Gardner.

INSTANT HAPPINESS - just click!

Comment

Originally posted by LisaNY View Post
              I fell asleep during most of last night's show, but I have to say that I laughed HARD at the home security commercial! If you've ever seen the real commercial, they nailed every single detail, which I loved. But then all the different men breaking in to murder her was hilarious. I really thought that was one of their better commercial parodies.

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-li...urity/1208834/
              I did LOL when they talked about that the alarm would make large noises and the intruder will run away through the bushes.
              If I were Shé, do you think I'd be operating a taco truck? Shé brings hope. Shé rights the wrongs. Unfortunately, Shé is a myth.

Comment

Hey, is that Lesley?

I think the thing that made me laugh the hardest in that commercial was when one of the "men" bursting in to murder her was Abby Elliot dressed as K.D. Lang! Ha! With the slicked back hair, sharp suit, and big bright smile - I was dying!
                2012 Avatar Theme - LADIES FROM THE GOLDEN AGE OF HOLLYWOOD. January: Ava Gardner.

Comment

It is me! Lesley! Yeah, that part was pretty good too. And the fact that most men will want to murder a woman living by herself.
                  If I were Shé, do you think I'd be operating a taco truck? Shé brings hope. Shé rights the wrongs. Unfortunately, Shé is a myth.

Comment

LOL! And her grandpa screaming and running away was great!

"If you're a single woman living alone in a big five person house, most men will want to murder you."

Comment

Yaaay! YAAAAY!!! Tina Fey is hosting this weekend, and it's confirmed that she'll be reviving the Palin impression!

Comment

Hell yeah!

Comment

<object width="512" height="296"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/BFuHo3dTbZoDaYOLmCB3iQ"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/BFuHo3dTbZoDaYOLmCB3iQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" width="512" height="296"></embed></object>

Comment

<object width="512" height="296"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/n182Lj5RieI8eJ9OJHUwMA/193"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/n182Lj5RieI8eJ9OJHUwMA/193" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" width="512" height="296"></embed></object>

Comment

<object width="512" height="296"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/1AVXsQBZFfTJ0l6eRSI3yA"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/1AVXsQBZFfTJ0l6eRSI3yA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" width="512" height="296"></embed></object>

Comment

Working...
                              X