Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why aren't there any good horror games based on movies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why aren't there any good horror games based on movies?

We had talked about this in a podcast at one point, but back in the day there were games based on most popular horror franchises. From Texas Chainsaw on the Atari and C64 to Friday the 13th on the NES. Even Freddy had a game utilizing the sweet 4 player multi-tap on the NES. Now these games, for lack of a better word, sucked donkey ass, but at least they were there and for a kid in the 80's were awesome at the time.

With the newest generation of consoles and with horror movies still a viable source of income, why hasn't a developer stepped up to the plate? I'm aware there are "horror" games out there, but goddammit I want a GTA-styled version of Friday the 13th. Imagine an open world where instead of fighting Jason, you are Jason. See teens having sex? Kill em. See teens drinking beer? Kill em again. Or maybe a cart racing game featuring Freddy, Jason, Leatherface, Pinhead, Leprechaun, Critters, Tall Man, and the Re-Animator? I'd fucking play that in a second. Would it be any good? Who the fuck cares. If I could play a cart-racing game where I can be a Critter or shit, maybe even one of the bounty hunters, I'd be all over that.

Imagine the possiblities of a next-gen NOES game? Where you got to go into people's dreams, Psychonauts style. Or even a Freddy vs. Jason fighting game.

I call dibs on Kelly Rowland.
    "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Re: Why aren't there any good horror games based on movies?

With the newest generation of consoles and with horror movies still a viable source of income, why hasn't a developer stepped up to the plate? I'm aware there are "horror" games out there, but goddammit I want a GTA-styled version of Friday the 13th. Imagine an open world where instead of fighting Jason, you are Jason. See teens having sex? Kill em. See teens drinking beer? Kill em again.
    You take my dreams and make them a reality, my friend!
    Blog Time! http://plasticlovin.blogspot.com/

Reporter: "Is Ringo Starr the best drummer in the world?"
    John Lennon: "Ringo isn't even the best drummer in The Beatles."

Forget it Viet, it's Hockentown. - Russ

Lord Hocken's gaze was that of the Green Horned Mindraper.

Comment

Seriously. How fun would that be in Hi-Def?

Fucking retard strength awesome. That's how awesome.
      "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

Comment

You may be on to something here...that shit is genius. One of the better games I've played recently was Dead Rising. Loosely based on Dawn of the Dead, but not quite. Maybe they can get some type of Mii's set up like classic horror movie characters, imagine playing Wii baseball with Jason, Leatherface, Dracula, Freddy, Michael Meyers, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Wolfman, Frankenstein and a Zombie on the same team...that would be cool.
        Instagram: thepatronsaintofcheeseburgers

Comment

are you talking about a monster squad based game? oh man that would be awesome. i hated friday the 13th the game though. that shit was stupid hard. and what's up with turning around the room and having jason pop up out of nowhere? that was just ridiculous.
          The infamous Naruto pictures. SafAri.

Comment

I just beat that F13 game like a year ago on an emulator after trying for like 3 months. It was fucking ridiculous. After putting up with it's shitty game mechanics and dumb fucking rules I was greeted with this at the end:

That's some bullshit right there....

Comment

you actually took the time to beat that game?! jeez... speaking of crappy games, did anyone ever beat tmnt for the nes? the first game. not the arcade version.

Comment

I had to. It was a game for kids that in order to kill Jason you had to have his mom's severed head, sweater and pitchfork to do it. As for TMNT, Yep. For a game that is fucking hard, Shredder is so fucking easy at the end. Also beat Battletoads. I'm the king!

Comment

what?! you were actually able to play throught tmnt? how did you survive that? just trying to jump the ledges pissed me off. and let's not even get into the water level. ugh. ooooh, i liked battletoads. that game was awesome.

Comment

The dam level with the bombs I think was the most difficult until you knew exactly what to do. Also, congrats on hitting over 100+ posts!! Welcome to the rank of: "Member of the pwned" Enjoy your stay!

Comment

awesome! i usually get pwned, so that's a good title for me. i just saw my average number of posts per day... that's rather disturbing...

Comment

TMNT was sweet...I don't think I ever got passed the first level. The sewer shit was awesome....Can you give me some info on the emulator you were using...I've been trying to find a decent one but the ones I've tried were shitty....I've also got a NES that still works. I bust it out once in a while to play Kung Fu or Jaws....Jaws was the shit.

Comment

I believe I used NESticle.

Comment

Sweet....gotta check that out.

Comment

Fucking Jaws. Man I beat that game when I was a kid and was so let down. To tell the truth, I was let down by most endings. Especially Super Mario 2. "WHAT THE FUCK?! IT"S ALL A DREAM?!" BS.

Must collect CONCH SHELLS!

The only fun part of that game was the airplane bombing sequences and the part at the end with the strobe.

Although, I never did try that new Jaws game that came out for the PS2.

Comment

Working...
                              X