get paid to catch malaria!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• get paid to catch malaria!

so if you read digg or the seattle times, you might have seen an article on getting paid from $2000 to $4000 to catch malaria if you live around seattle. i figured since i live rather close to the seattle biomedical research institute, i would email them and see what they said... this is their response:

"Thank you for expressing an interest to participate in malaria clinical trials.

Seattle Biomedical Research Institute is excited to partner with the Malaria Vaccine Initiative, a global program of PATH, to establish the Malaria Clinical Trials Center (MCTC) in Seattle. The MCTC will allow testing of new investigational vaccines and drugs to combat malaria, a disease that kills over 1 million people each year, most of them young children in Africa. The MCTC represents a unique opportunity to impact the global burden of malaria by bringing new effective tools to the world.

If you are between the ages of 18 and 45, are generally healthy and have never had malaria, you may qualify to participate in this effort. We anticipate the first study to begin in 18-24 months and will begin actively recruiting volunteers closer to that time.

If you would like to receive periodic updates by email on the status of malaria vaccine research at SBRI and the development of the MCTC, please respond to this email with your contact information and use the subject header ?please add me to your malaria distribution list.? If you are interested in volunteering for a malaria clinical trial please check back periodically on our website www.sbri.org for updates on the completion of the Malaria Clinical Trials Center and anticipated start date of upcoming malaria clinical trials.

Thanks again for your interest in supporting our efforts to combat this important global health problem. Solving a problem this big requires that we all pitch in."

so would you offer your body, knowing that you could be cured, to be infected with a possibly deadly disease?

for more info, see: http://archives.seattletimes.nwsourc...&query=malaria
    yes
    0%
    no
    0%
    maybe
    0%
    i'd rather get it in the back end from ari
    0%
    bukkake!
    0%
    The infamous Naruto pictures. SafAri.

Re: get paid to catch malaria!

Well, on one hand I could really use the cash. On the other hand, I LIKE BEING ALIVE! So, in other words, ya, I guess I would.
    Blog Time! http://plasticlovin.blogspot.com/

Reporter: "Is Ringo Starr the best drummer in the world?"
    John Lennon: "Ringo isn't even the best drummer in The Beatles."

Forget it Viet, it's Hockentown. - Russ

Lord Hocken's gaze was that of the Green Horned Mindraper.

Comment

i totally thought about it. i imagine this is how my sick call would transpire:

viet: "umm... so i can't come in to work today or the next few days."
      my boss: "what? why not? and why do you sound so aweful?"
      viet: "uhh, well it seems i somehow contracted malaria..."
      my boss: "how did you get malaria from living in seattle?"
      viet: "that's a good question... i had someone inject me with the disease."
      my boss: "well then you can't use a sick day. you made the decision to get ill. the only thing you can do is use your vacation."
      viet: "doh!"

now, i wouldn't mind using my vacation days to get super sick if i was getting paid that much... but i have responsibilities now. two of them. named franny and zooey. damn kittens.
      The infamous Naruto pictures. SafAri.

Comment

I'm in the "maybe" camp. I'm a huge hypochondriac (sp?) but goddamn if that money wouldn't buy me a shit load of booze and video games.
        "Looking like Nic Cage dressed in Kurt Cobain's closet. I mean that as a compliment" - BillyG

"Too cunty for wine bars, too dainty for real bars." - Anderson

Comment

Working...
        X